Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1114

Thread: The Official Brisket Thread

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

So I come to bask in the expertise of the forum. I am planning a brisket for tomorrow's festivities. I have a 12 lb packer that I plan to cook by the hot method DT describes earlier in the thread. My question is what is a realistic cook time? Planning to eat around 3 pm.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    So I come to bask in the expertise of the forum. I am planning a brisket for tomorrow's festivities. I have a 12 lb packer that I plan to cook by the hot method DT describes earlier in the thread. My question is what is a realistic cook time? Planning to eat around 3 pm.
    What's the hot method. Maybe link it so I can help with the original question.

My briskets have taken between 9-12 hours and I generally set the smoker at 225-250 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

i would probably put it on at 2:45 and make sure to cover it in poop
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    fresh poop. Nothing ruins a shit brisket faster than cold, dry poop.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Princeps Inter Pares

Put it in now at 350 degrees, then take it out five minutes before kickoff. Don't cover it with foil, don't inject it, don't use liquid. Also, pull it out of the ovens using your bare hands. Then after you eat your dry, burnt brisket, crap yourself watching your Utes get steamrolled by a resurgent BYU, then ESAD you worthless piece of ute filth boooooooooooo
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Put it in now at 350 degrees, then take it out five minutes before kickoff. Don't cover it with foil, don't inject it, don't use liquid. Also, pull it out of the ovens using your bare hands. Then after you eat your dry, burnt brisket, crap yourself watching your Utes get steamrolled by a resurgent BYU, then ESAD you worthless piece of ute filth boooooooooooo
    I am sensing some unwarranted hostility in your post...
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    What's the hot method. Maybe link it so I can help with the original question.

My briskets have taken between 9-12 hours and I generally set the smoker at 225-250 degrees.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post987376

-Rick Majerus

Princeps Inter Pares

I am sensing some unwarranted hostility in your post...
    Six straight will do that to you.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Well, never mind then, if you are going to be an ass about it.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Well, never mind then, if you are going to be an ass about it.

Huh???

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

-Rick Majerus

Huh???

Six straight will do that to you.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    fresh poop. Nothing ruins a shit brisket faster than cold, dry poop.
    JIC - How dis the brisket turn out? Pictures?

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I smoked two briskets last night/this morning. They're being FTC'd right now until we eat in a couple of hours. The key problem I'm having with brisket is the narrow portion of the flat is typically dry and flaky. It get's better through the middle, but I'm worried that by reducing the cook time, I'll have excessive unrendered fat and calogen in the other parts of the brisket.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Huh???

Ha, just saw this. On Tapatalk, the link took me to the first post in the thread, but now I see that JiC actually linked to the post he had in question. Sorry JiC, I take back my calling you an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I smoked two briskets last night/this morning. They're being FTC'd right now until we eat in a couple of hours. The key problem I'm having with brisket is the narrow portion of the flat is typically dry and flaky. It get's better through the middle, but I'm worried that by reducing the cook time, I'll have excessive unrendered fat and calogen in the other parts of the brisket.
    This should be fixable. What temp are you cooking to? And do you foil after a few hours of smoke?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This should be fixable. What temp are you cooking to? And do you foil after a few hours of smoke?
    I pull the brisket from the heat based on probing with a toothpick or the meat thermo, which may be the problem. I pulled one today at 203; the other probed like butter at 195. I keep them uncovered until around 170 (cooking at 225), then wrap in foil and finish in the oven.

After FTC'ing, one was lights out. The other was a little less moist. I think it just got overcooked because most of the fat in the point was rendered out. I may be taking the "probe like warm butter" directive a little too seriously.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 10-20-2017 at 09:34 AM.

I pull the brisket from the heat based on proing with a toothpick or, which may be the problem. I pulled one today at 203; the other probed like butter at 195. I keep them uncovered until around 170 (cooking at 225), then wrap in foil and finish in the oven.

After FTC'ing, one was lights out. The other was a little less moist. I think it just got overcooked because most of the fat in the point was rendered out. I may be taking the "probe like warm butter" directive a little too seriously.
    I did that "probe like warm butter" thing for a while because local BBQ guru Bam Bam was recommending it at his classes. All I got out of that was overcooked dry brisket.

I also figured out that the brisket continues to get more tender and break down connective tissue during the FTC phase. So I get better results if I cook to a temp (195 degrees) and then hold for 4-6 hours. It always ends up tender and moist and I no longer overcook. Another thing I have learned is that you need to take it out of the oven/smoker and unfoil for 5-10 minutes and then cover again before the FTC phase. Otherwise, I think it continues to cook and you can get it overdone. The perfect brisket if tender and moist, but still firm enough to hold a slice and bend over your finger.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I also figured out that the brisket continues to get more tender and break down connective tissue during the FTC phase. So I get better results if I cook to a temp (195 degrees) and then hold for 4-6 hours. It always ends up tender and moist and I no longer overcook. Another thing I have learned is that you need to take it out of the oven/smoker and unfoil for 5-10 minutes and then cover again before the FTC phase. Otherwise, I think it continues to cook and you can get it overdone.
    I add my testimony to that of yours in the bolded part. I will have to pay attention the that italicized part as the last brisket I did I felt was overcooked and I don't remember if I went straight from smoker to FTC, that would make sense though.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

I did that "probe like warm butter" thing for a while because local BBQ guru Bam Bam was recommending it at his classes. All I got out of that was overcooked dry brisket.

I also figured out that the brisket continues to get more tender and break down connective tissue during the FTC phase. So I get better results if I cook to a temp (195 degrees) and then hold for 4-6 hours. It always ends up tender and moist and I no longer overcook. Another thing I have learned is that you need to take it out of the oven/smoker and unfoil for 5-10 minutes and then cover again before the FTC phase. Otherwise, I think it continues to cook and you can get it overdone. The perfect brisket if tender and moist, but still firm enough to hold a slice and bend over your finger.
    I can confirm as well.

Brisket has been the hardest for me to master, but I'm starting to zero in on consistent, delicious results. I think this is the last change I'll need to make before I fine tune a few things.

I can confirm as well.

Brisket has been the hardest for me to master, but I'm starting to zero in on consistent, delicious results. I think this is the last change I'll need to make.
    I bought my son a smoker as a graduation present. His favorite thing to do is brisket and he is getting really good at it. It has been fun to watch.

I bought my son a smoker as a graduation present. His favorite thing to do is brisket and he is getting really good at it. It has been fun to watch.
    This is great news. Where does he live, and I'll invite myself for dinner. Seriously, that's a really cool skill to pass to your son.

To all others reading this thread, listen to the Dude- he's a master. It's really all about chemistry; the longer the meat stays between 185 and 195, the more the connective tissue will soften without coming apart. Cook to a temp above 205, and the connective tissue liquefies, giving you a pot roast. The key to the FTC phase is holding it above the collagen rendering temp of 160 so the moisture emitted by the softening collagen stays in the meat and makes it moist.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Even with relatively modest rib roast prices, my family wanted brisket this year. I did try a little different recipe for this one. For neighbor gifts I smoked salt, pepper and olive oil. I had a bunch left over so I used the salt and pepper as my rub. Hopefully it turns out.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Even with relatively modest rib roast prices, my family wanted brisket this year. I did try a little different recipe for this one. For neighbor gifts I smoked salt, pepper and olive oil. I had a bunch left over so I used the salt and pepper as my rub. Hopefully it turns out.
    Can you clarify? Did you give the neighbors brisket? Or just salt, pepper, and olive oil?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Can you clarify? Did you give the neighbors brisket? Or just salt, pepper, and olive oil?
    Just the seasonings, although I probably make a couple of briskets a month for neighbors. I had a bunch of the salt/pepper left over so I used them on our Christmas dinner.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

When I picked up our Christmas brisket, Costco had a small 9.5 pounder that I picked up. My thought was it would be a good and fairly inexpensive experiment brisket. I smoked it at 180 for 15 hours to 170 degrees. I then reverse seared it and cranked it up to 375 for about an hour. I pulled it at 195. The bark got a little charred over some of the fatty spots, but otherwise looked great. It’s resting in the oven now at 185. I’m curious if I’ll be able tell any difference at all.

Brisket is good for you. Eat more of it. FYI!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

JL, I see your last update to the first post is from 2015. Other than cooking to temp (195), have you incorporated any other changes to your preferred method?
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Cooking my first brisket tomorrow.

It's a baby brisket at 6.9 pounds, but I'm going to follow much of the opening post. Thanks, JL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Cooking my first brisket tomorrow.

It's a baby brisket at 6.9 pounds, but I'm going to follow much of the opening post. Thanks, JL!
    Good luck. I've only ventured into the brisket world a couple of times.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Good luck. I've only ventured into the brisket world a couple of times.
    How did they turn out? With church from 1-4, I think I'll plan to have it cooked before church and keep it in the oven at 160.