X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey!

I wonder if it is because I’m trying to smoke 2 at the same time
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
      You sly dog!
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Could be. It might restrict airflow or something, leading to a difference in temps.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

If you go look at what I did a couple weeks ago in my post on page 37, I smoked two 16+ pound roasts at the same time in my smoker on 225 for 5 hours. They took up the whole cooking area. Then I pulled them and foiled them in separate pans, placed in my oven on 225 for another 6 hours before they were done. I let them cool for 30 minutes and them let them hold in the oven at 170 for 2 1/2 more hours, about a half hour before we sliced and served them.

Basically all I do on my smoker is follow JL's instructions, and I never go wrong.

Comment

• $2.99/lb at the local costco. Nice. Picked one up for Sunday and will likely make another within the next month for the winner of our office bowl pick'em challenge.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              It always takes me too long to find this recipe. Chimichurri Recipe
              I just made this recipe again. We're having all of the Brazilian students over to our house this evening, along with a ward member from Brasil, and a professor at Coker who served his mission in Brasil. I don't have a budget for it, we just decided to it because these kids have some serious saudades for home, and we derive immense satisfaction from inviting people to our home to share an evening and a meal. That's one thing about not having to worry about money anymore. I can do stuff like this on occasion and just enjoy the process, rather than having to ask the Dean for money and then making sure that I get reimbursed. This is just us being able to do something we enjoy and not fretting about the costs.

I bought a 15 lbs USDA Prime Brisket at Costco (de nada, cowboy) and I started cooking it at 225F at 4:30AM. It's at 169F, and I'm going to pull it out of the oven at 175F and then let it rest. Seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper, and granulated garlic. The chimichurri will help cut the grease and it tastes good in and of itself. I also made a feijoada out of 2 lbs of black beans, olive oil, three onions, a head of garlic, 2 bay leaves, 3 quarts of chicken stock, 2 quarts of water, a side of bacon (cooked and drained), 2 jars of Armour Dried Beef (soaked overnight and cut into squares), 3 lbs of pork spare ribs, 1 lb of Brazilian chorizo, and I've let it boil then simmer for the last 3 & 1/2 hours.

Other people are bringing pao de queijo, farrofa, and brigadeiros. It should be a fun night.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• I hope you all have a great time. Do you get sufficient collagen breakdown at 175F? I'm usually up around 200F when I smoke a brisket.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I really want to smoke a brisket wrapped in pink butcher paper, just because it seems like smoking street cred.

But I don’t think it’s in the cards for me. Every time I try, the internal temp drops like 10 degrees and stalls. The only thing I figure is that I create an air gap between the meat and paper that insulated the meat from the heat? At any rate, it’s all aluminum foil from here on out.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Question for you brisket dudes. Lately when i cook a pork butt or brisket, i'm starting it early, erring on the side of letting it sit FTC or in the oven for a long time. I just cooked a brisket and i gave myself a enough time for a 14 hour cook - meaning if it took 14 hours i'd still have 3 hours to let it sit - as i feel 3-4 hours is about ideal. the problem with this approach is if it only takes 10 hours - which was the case this morning. so now that 3 hours is 7 hours. how screwed am i? or will i still be okay?
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Question for you brisket dudes. Lately when i cook a pork butt or brisket, i'm starting it early, erring on the side of letting it sit FTC or in the oven for a long time. I just cooked a brisket and i gave myself a enough time for a 14 hour cook - meaning if it took 14 hours i'd still have 3 hours to let it sit - as i feel 3-4 hours is about ideal. the problem with this approach is if it only takes 10 hours - which was the case this morning. so now that 3 hours is 7 hours. how screwed am i? or will i still be okay?
                      No problem at all. Don’t worry about it.

A few years ago I ate lunch at Black’s BBQ in Austin (phenomenal) and afterwards I wandered out to the pits and one of the pit masters gave me a tour. It was huge and I was blown away by the volume of meat. We were looking at the briskets and they looked like they were about done. He told me they were the briskets for the next day.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        No problem at all. Don’t worry about it.

A few years ago I ate lunch at Black’s BBQ in Austin (phenomenal) and afterwards I wandered out to the pits and one of the pit masters gave me a tour. It was huge and I was blown away by the volume of meat. We were looking at the briskets and they looked like they were about done. He told me they were the briskets for the next day.
                        you know when you ask a question hoping for a specific answer? yeah, that was me just now. thanks, JL.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          Question for you brisket dudes. Lately when i cook a pork butt or brisket, i'm starting it early, erring on the side of letting it sit FTC or in the oven for a long time. I just cooked a brisket and i gave myself a enough time for a 14 hour cook - meaning if it took 14 hours i'd still have 3 hours to let it sit - as i feel 3-4 hours is about ideal. the problem with this approach is if it only takes 10 hours - which was the case this morning. so now that 3 hours is 7 hours. how screwed am i? or will i still be okay?
                          I’ve held for even longer than that. Not an issue at all.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            I’ve held for even longer than that. Not an issue at all.
                            Very good to hear. I haven't done brisket since last summer. I'm excited too how it turns out.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• For you Texas folks, I tried HEB's "Super Trimmed" brisket last weekend. I highly recommend. It turned out great and cost me about 1/2 of what I pay at Costco for an untrimmed prime packer.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• We’re currently on the southern Welsh coast (Tenby) where coincidentally there’s a food festival on the beach just below our flat (it’s in the picture below). I have sampled a few of the many trucks/booths, one of which was run by Stu who produced a very nice brisket. He was a little embarrassed to learn I was from the States, had my own smoker, and hang out with gentlemen for whom smoking brisket is a second religion. Stu was relieved when I gave his work two hearty thumbs up.
                                60752A20-E504-4133-AE24-8C8A9535C76C.jpg

For dessert I had vegan ice cream made from hemp, cashews an oats. It was surprisingly good. Very rich and smooth.
                                1690C1BE-B86B-40A6-81DB-1473059021DE.jpg

Sorry for the orientation; I was lying on my side, too stuffed to sit upright...

Comment

Working...
                                X