No announcement yet.

The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope you can find peace in this time of profound personal loss.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
      That's mosquitos you're thinking of.
      Reminds me of my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Williams. She didn't seem to understand why we were all laughing when she told us that babies suck.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• May the memory of that brisket be a blessing to you and your family.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• The brisket was needed more on the other side.
          Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-25-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            The brisket was needed more on the other side.
            Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-25-2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Smoked a brisket overnight. Now it's holding in a 20 quart slow cooker. It has an analog dial on it, so I was able to calibrate it to 160 degrees. Lunch is at two!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                Smoked a brisket overnight. Now it's holding in a 20 quart slow cooker. It has an analog dial on it, so I was able to calibrate it to 160 degrees. Lunch is at two!
                Thanks! Address?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  Thanks! Address?
                  Sorry I missed this. We'll have to link-up next time.

Comment

• Subway has brisket sandwiches now. Yum!!

https://www.brandeating.com/2019/09/...-sandwich.html

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Subway has brisket sandwiches now. Yum!!

https://www.brandeating.com/2019/09/...-sandwich.html
                      I've had one of those...

Delicious!

Comment

• From what I can tell, I cooked my 1,000th brisket this year yesterday. It’s been an insane year but I’ve learned so much. I also cooked prime rib yesterday that might have been my favorite prime rib I’ve ever had. I was quite pleased with the results.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• I'd be interested to hear about what you've learned if you're ever so inclined.
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            From what I can tell, I cooked my 1,000th brisket this year yesterday. It’s been an insane year but I’ve learned so much. I also cooked prime rib yesterday that might have been my favorite prime rib I’ve ever had. I was quite pleased with the results.
                            Deets please.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Deets please.
                              Kept it super simple. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, a bit of mustard powder, and dash of chilpolte powder. Slather in olive oil, and liberally apply the mixture. Placed on the smoker at 180 and smoked until an internal temp of about 105. Cranked it up to 500 degrees and let it go until 128. Pulled it and let it rest tented for about 10 minutes. The resting was simply to get the internal temp to 133-135. Sliced it up and severed with horseradish cream sauce that I made to go with it. It was a perfect medium rare throughout. No little grey ring around it. Looked like a sous vide steak inside.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                                I'd be interested to hear about what you've learned if you're ever so inclined.
                                One thing I’ve learned is that brisket can hold for a really long time in food warmers. Especially if sealed up. I put a finished brisket on a cookie rack, pour some both into the bottom, seal up with both plastic wrap and foil. Put in the warmer at 170. This covers up a lot of flaws and when cooking 15 at a time, I make flaws.

Second, simple is just as good as complicated. I started out trimming every brisket. It was taking me forever. 15 brisket at a time when this is my hobby second job was killing me. If I was Bam Bam’s or something like that I’d trim like I had been. But for catering, it wasn’t worth it. I minimally trim big batches now. I also went with a much simpler with my rub. It’s a 55-45 pepper to kosher salt mixture. I have done taste tests with different rubs against this and I cannot tell the difference.

Third, trying to cook competition brisket for catering is dumb. Not just brisket, but everything. They’re cooking several different briskets to get the desired bite for each part of the box. I’m trying to not to waste anything. It was really frustrating me. Once I figured that out I began enjoying what I was putting out much more.

Above all, people just love brisket. What I think is not a good reflection of my personal expectations, will still be a hit. We’ve had a ton of reorders to validate that finding.

Comment

Working...
                                X