Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,163 of 1163

Thread: The Official Brisket Thread

Hope you can find peace in this time of profound personal loss.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    That's mosquitos you're thinking of.
    Reminds me of my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Williams. She didn't seem to understand why we were all laughing when she told us that babies suck.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

May the memory of that brisket be a blessing to you and your family.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

The brisket was needed more on the other side.
    Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-25-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The brisket was needed more on the other side.
    Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-25-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Smoked a brisket overnight. Now it's holding in a 20 quart slow cooker. It has an analog dial on it, so I was able to calibrate it to 160 degrees. Lunch is at two!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Smoked a brisket overnight. Now it's holding in a 20 quart slow cooker. It has an analog dial on it, so I was able to calibrate it to 160 degrees. Lunch is at two!
    Thanks! Address?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Thanks! Address?
    Sorry I missed this. We'll have to link-up next time.

Subway has brisket sandwiches now. Yum!!

https://www.brandeating.com/2019/09/...-sandwich.html

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Subway has brisket sandwiches now. Yum!!

https://www.brandeating.com/2019/09/...-sandwich.html
    I've had one of those...

Delicious!

From what I can tell, I cooked my 1,000th brisket this year yesterday. It’s been an insane year but I’ve learned so much. I also cooked prime rib yesterday that might have been my favorite prime rib I’ve ever had. I was quite pleased with the results.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

I'd be interested to hear about what you've learned if you're ever so inclined.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    From what I can tell, I cooked my 1,000th brisket this year yesterday. It’s been an insane year but I’ve learned so much. I also cooked prime rib yesterday that might have been my favorite prime rib I’ve ever had. I was quite pleased with the results.
    Deets please.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Deets please.
    Kept it super simple. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, a bit of mustard powder, and dash of chilpolte powder. Slather in olive oil, and liberally apply the mixture. Placed on the smoker at 180 and smoked until an internal temp of about 105. Cranked it up to 500 degrees and let it go until 128. Pulled it and let it rest tented for about 10 minutes. The resting was simply to get the internal temp to 133-135. Sliced it up and severed with horseradish cream sauce that I made to go with it. It was a perfect medium rare throughout. No little grey ring around it. Looked like a sous vide steak inside.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I'd be interested to hear about what you've learned if you're ever so inclined.
    One thing I’ve learned is that brisket can hold for a really long time in food warmers. Especially if sealed up. I put a finished brisket on a cookie rack, pour some both into the bottom, seal up with both plastic wrap and foil. Put in the warmer at 170. This covers up a lot of flaws and when cooking 15 at a time, I make flaws.

Second, simple is just as good as complicated. I started out trimming every brisket. It was taking me forever. 15 brisket at a time when this is my hobby second job was killing me. If I was Bam Bam’s or something like that I’d trim like I had been. But for catering, it wasn’t worth it. I minimally trim big batches now. I also went with a much simpler with my rub. It’s a 55-45 pepper to kosher salt mixture. I have done taste tests with different rubs against this and I cannot tell the difference.

Third, trying to cook competition brisket for catering is dumb. Not just brisket, but everything. They’re cooking several different briskets to get the desired bite for each part of the box. I’m trying to not to waste anything. It was really frustrating me. Once I figured that out I began enjoying what I was putting out much more.

Above all, people just love brisket. What I think is not a good reflection of my personal expectations, will still be a hit. We’ve had a ton of reorders to validate that finding.

Kept it super simple. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, a bit of mustard powder, and dash of chilpolte powder. Slather in olive oil, and liberally apply the mixture. Placed on the smoker at 180 and smoked until an internal temp of about 105. Cranked it up to 500 degrees and let it go until 128. Pulled it and let it rest tented for about 10 minutes. The resting was simply to get the internal temp to 133-135. Sliced it up and severed with horseradish cream sauce that I made to go with it. It was a perfect medium rare throughout. No little grey ring around it. Looked like a sous vide steak inside.
    That horseradish cream sauce must be pretty strong to sever the sliced meat.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    That horseradish cream sauce must be pretty strong to sever the sliced meat.
    Ha. I do like it strong.

Holy smokes, that's a lot of brisket. What's the max number you've done at a time? Nice to hear you're still enjoying it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Holy smokes, that's a lot of brisket. What's the max number you've done at a time? Nice to hear you're still enjoying it, too.
    The most I’ve done at one time is 35. I had to borrow a couple of smokers for that. The most I can do with my own is 23-25 depending on size. From May through September we averaged about 45 a week. It’s slowed down a bunch in Oct and Nov. December has been busy again. Lots of company parties and even a few weddings in December.

REmind me: what are you cooking them on?

My Yoder has a tendency to really dry out brisket (moist on the inside, but the bark is pretty tough). I tried spritzing hourly and didn't get much traction. I'm curious what the rest of you guys with pellet smoker do.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post

My Yoder has a tendency to really dry out brisket (moist on the inside, but the bark is pretty tough). I tried spritzing hourly and didn't get much traction. I'm curious what the rest of you guys with pellet smoker do.
    Do you foil (or paper)?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post

I am mostly cooking on a Rec Tec BFG. But I use both my Memphis and a Louisiana cabinet pellet smoker also with very similar results. I don’t wrap in the cooking process at all. I just don’t have the time or flexibility to do it. I do think minimal trimming and cooking a little hotter helps. To me it’s a little counterintuitive, but cooking at 235-250 will reduce drying out when cooking for long periods vs cooking for hours at 180-215. 225 is kind of my lowest spot after about an hour of 180 to put more smoke on the meat. If I leave it in smoke mode too long it will dry out more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Do you foil (or paper)?
    I foil. The stall with butcher paper doesn’t work well with my impatience.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson