No announcement yet.

The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the things I enjoy on brisket is a good flavored bark. So even if the meat itself is tender and flavorful, it just won't be the same.

Comment

• Turns out we're expecting 64 people (some are children), and need to have enough for 70 just in case. I ran through the numbers with him, and convinced him that we need to start with about 1# per person, precooked. We ended up buying four briskets from Costco, just over 60# of meat. This is too much meat for his sous vide controller, and the size of my cooler, so he's cooking two in the cooler, and I'll cook two on my smoker. #throwdown!

He cut the briskets in half, right where the flat meets the point, and cut the top portion in half again, down the center of the point, applied a salt & pepper rub, vacuum sealed, and started the sous vide bath. They'll cook at 155 for 24 hours, and then we'll put them on my smoker for three hours to get the smoke flavor.

I think I got the two largest briskets to cook on my smoker. They'll be touching, so I think I'll rearrange them in the smoker half-way through the smoke part of the cook. I'll get them going this morning around 3 or 4, let them cook for 4 or 5 hours, and then double wrap in foil, and finish the cook inside in the oven on 225. Any chance the largest brisket takes extra long to cook? It's 16.85#, IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        Turns out we're expecting 64 people (some are children), and need to have enough for 70 just in case. I ran through the numbers with him, and convinced him that we need to start with about 1# per person, precooked. We ended up buying four briskets from Costco, just over 60# of meat. This is too much meat for his sous vide controller, and the size of my cooler, so he's cooking two in the cooler, and I'll cook two on my smoker. #throwdown!

He cut the briskets in half, right where the flat meets the point, and cut the top portion in half again, down the center of the point, applied a salt & pepper rub, vacuum sealed, and started the sous vide bath. They'll cook at 155 for 24 hours, and then we'll put them on my smoker for three hours to get the smoke flavor.

I think I got the two largest briskets to cook on my smoker. They'll be touching, so I think I'll rearrange them in the smoker half-way through the smoke part of the cook. I'll get them going this morning around 3 or 4, let them cook for 4 or 5 hours, and then double wrap in foil, and finish the cook inside in the oven on 225. Any chance the largest brisket takes extra long to cook? It's 16.85#, IIRC.
        155 for 24 hours? Sounds kinda hot for sous vide... But I am still a novice and can't get chicken right. :|
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          155 for 24 hours? Sounds kinda hot for sous vide... But I am still a novice and can't get chicken right. :|
          24 hours actually sounds too short for something as large as a brisket (though maybe not if they are cut in half), but 155 is absolutely scorching for beef. Those things are going to be grayer than Adam Duritz's gray guitar. Of course, Bo is trying to make sure his smoked briskets are better than the sous vide, so his plan seems like it's going to work out well.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            24 hours actually sounds too short for something as large as a brisket (though maybe not if they are cut in half), but 155 is absolutely scorching for beef. Those things are going to be grayer than Adam Duritz's gray guitar. Of course, Bo is trying to make sure his smoked briskets are better than the sous vide, so his plan seems like it's going to work out well.
            Actually, I dont think he has a gray guitar. He would only have bought one if he knew Picasso.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              Actually, I dont think he has a gray guitar. He would only have bought one if he knew Picasso.
              Maybe he still bought the guitar, but didn't end up playing.
              Last edited by falafel; 08-17-2018, 02:44 PM.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Not brisket. You always cook to 195-200 degrees on the smoker.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Not brisket. You always cook to 195-200 degrees on the smoker.
                  But how long do you hold it there?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

17 lbs is on the large side. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. No harm at all in letting the briskets hold at 170 degrees for several hours. The trick is going to be if one brisket is done well before the other one. Ideally, if one hits temp (I like to pull at 190-195) before the other, you could pull it out and put it in another oven for FTC (foil-towel-cooler) while the bigger one finishes.

Good luck!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      But how long do you hold it there?
                      Zero minutes!

When it hits temp, I pull it out, unfoil, and let it cool for 15 minutes to stop it from getting higher. Then I foil and hold it at 170 degrees.

If I am going to hold for several hours (always the best plan) I like to pull between 190-195 degrees.

Comment

• The websites I usually go to for sous vide are all saying 155 for 24 hrs followed by a couple hours of finishing in a smoker or oven for the bark. Looks good. I want to try.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          17 lbs is on the large side. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. No harm at all in letting the briskets hold at 170 degrees for several hours. The trick is going to be if one brisket is done well before the other one. Ideally, if one hits temp (I like to pull at 190-195) before the other, you could pull it out and put it in another oven for FTC (foil-towel-cooler) while the bigger one finishes.

Good luck!
                          I've anticipated and kind of expect this, though they might not be too far off. One is 16.85, and the other is 16.11. I've got the duel oven arrangement (smaller oven on top), and I can just fit one in the top oven, if needed. I didn't check the specs as close as I should have, because I don't have an integrated meat probe with this oven. I guess I need to go buy those wireless probes anyway.

Comment

I guess each of his are cut into thirds. I'm skeptical. I'm sure I have the advantage.

Comment

I've anticipated and kind of expect this, though they might not be too far off. One is 16.85, and the other is 16.11. I've got the duel oven arrangement (smaller oven on top), and I can just fit one in the top oven, if needed. I didn't check the specs as close as I should have, because I don't have an integrated meat probe with this oven. I guess I need to go buy those wireless probes anyway.
                              Ok. You got this! Post pics.

Comment

• I tried a semi new way to do brisket. Turned out great. I picked up a 14.5 pound prime from Costco. Normally I do very little trimming, but decided to change it up. I trimmed about 95% of visible fat off. That was about 5 pounds of fat gone. The flat was left extremely thin. That made me nervous. I did my normal wet rub and then dry rub. But because it was so much I cooked at 185 all night or about 12 hours. When it hit 165 I upped it to 225. About another 2.5 hours to hit 198. I pulled the brisket, put in a disposable pan with a rack, poured over it some beef broth, sealed tightly and in the oven at 175. Left it there for about 3 hours. Pulled it out to cook the corn bread and let it sit sealed for about 45 minutes. Sliced up beautifully. Great smoke ring. Pull test was spot on. Juicy even in the thin flat. Firm and really flavorful bark. I definitely will do this again to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.
                                Attached Files
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X