The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    How did they turn out? With church from 1-4, I think I'll plan to have it cooked before church and keep it in the oven at 160.
    i'd be careful about overcooking it given the size
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

How did they turn out? With church from 1-4, I think I'll plan to have it cooked before church and keep it in the oven at 160.
      Fine - they weren't anything to write home about, but they tasted pretty good.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        i'd be careful about overcooking it given the size
        I've heard 6-7 hours cooking time on 225. I'm wondering how close I can time it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Cooking my first brisket tomorrow.

It's a baby brisket at 6.9 pounds, but I'm going to follow much of the opening post. Thanks, JL!
          Good luck!

That is a tiny brisket. In my opinion, bigger briskets are easier to do. Especially if your small brisket is just the flat (no point).
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Good luck!

That is a tiny brisket. In my opinion, bigger briskets are easier to do. Especially if your small brisket is just the flat (no point).
            I put it in the smoker on 225 this morning at 6:15, so it's been smoking for six hours, and is currently at 181. I think it's going to be done sometime during sacrament meeting that starts at 1, so I'll check the temp right before I leave and make some calculations. I might be ok to wait right before sunday school. Here's a picture of the brisket with the rub last night. It's not just the flat.

Brisket Rubbed.jpg

Comment

• Check that. It's up to 190, but moving the probe found 186. I'll wait till this new spot is 190, pull it cool it, and hold it in the oven at 160 through church. I'm a rookie, and shouldn't have done this on Sunday with the 1-4 schedule.

Comment

Check that. It's up to 190, but moving the probe found 186. I'll wait till this new spot is 190, pull it cool it, and hold it in the oven at 160 through church. I'm a rookie, and shouldn't have done this on Sunday with the 1-4 schedule.
                You've got this!
                Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-25-2018, 05:58 PM.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Hopefully Bo’s silence is due to him stuffing his face with delicious brisket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I learned quite a bit on this first attempt. The tray, broth and foil kept it moist. However, it was a mistake to cook it on Sunday with a three hour block at the end of the day. I pulled it as early as I could so that I would not be late, but it needed to cook a little more for optimal tenderness. I chose not to cool it down, hoping that would help it some, but as you can probably see in the picture with the sliced brisket, it was still a tougher than it should have been.

The flavors were great. I might try some chili powder in my next rub. I wanted to start with something small so if I ruined it I wouldn't feel so bad. And I need to buy a wifi or other remote meat temperature probe.

I was planning on sandwiches tomorrow. Any way tenderize the leftovers for a better sandwich? Crock-pot?

Brisket 1.jpg

Brisket 2.jpg

Brisket 3.jpg

Comment

• I'm a big believer in using the crock pot.... I'm certain that putting that tough meat in a pot overnight would achieve the tenderness you look for.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        I'm a big believer in using the crock pot.... I'm certain that putting that tough meat in a pot overnight would achieve the tenderness you look for.
                        I just read a recipe that says to put it in the oven in broth with peppers and onions on 325 for 3-4 hours. Sounds like the same concept.

Comment

• Crock pot. Gtfo.

Just slice it as thin as you can. And add some of the juices from the pan if you kept any.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Crock pot. Gtfo.

Just slice it as thin as you can. And add some of the juices from the pan if you kept any.
                            Kept them!

Comment

• It had been a while since I smoked one of these. Turned out fantastic with rave reviews from the native Texans we had over.

I also found out that HEB carries oak pellets and at half the cost of traeger brand.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Looks moist and tender. What happened to the bark?
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X