The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    We’re currently on the southern Welsh coast (Tenby) where coincidentally there’s a food festival on the beach just below our flat (it’s in the picture below). I have sampled a few of the many trucks/booths, one of which was run by Stu who produced a very nice brisket. He was a little embarrassed to learn I was from the States, had my own smoker, and hang out with gentlemen for whom smoking brisket is a second religion. Stu was relieved when I gave his work two hearty thumbs up.
    [ATTACH]9586[/ATTACH]

For dessert I had vegan ice cream made from hemp, cashews an oats. It was surprisingly good. Very rich and smooth.
    [ATTACH]9585[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the orientation; I was lying on my side, too stuffed to sit upright...
    Did you prepare for your Welsh adventure by binge watching Hinterland?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Costco in Durham, NC yesterday had USDA Prime full packer briskets for $2.89/lb.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Every now and again, I can find a fully trimmed prime brisket at HEB for $2.99/lb. I like those days. However, it has been a couple of months since the last time.

Comment

• has anybody separated the point and the flat prior to cooking? if so, how has it worked out?
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            has anybody separated the point and the flat prior to cooking? if so, how has it worked out?
            Why on earth would you want to do that? To make that flat a little more dry?
            Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 08-09-2019, 08:41 AM.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Why don’t earth would you want to do that? To make that flat a little more dry?
              at the risk of showing my ignorance, i will answer this question. since they are of different thickness i assume that one may reach temp sooner than the other - i thought it might promote more even cooking.

didn't realize it would make the flat lose moisture. but that answers the question! thanks!!!
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                at the risk of showing my ignorance, i will answer this question. since they are of different thickness i assume that one may reach temp sooner than the other - i thought it might promote more even cooking.

didn't realize it would make the flat lose moisture. but that answers the question! thanks!!!
                Yeah, keep them together. The point has more fat. The best part of the flat is the part under the point.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Yeah, keep them together. The point has more fat. The best part of the flat is the part under the point.
                  That makes sense.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• I just ruined a brisket. I had just pulled it off the smoker and set it on a little table next to the smoker so I could close the lid. On the table was a bee trap. When the brisket touched the table the bee trap rocked forward and tipped over onto the brisket, spilling all the liquid poison inside. I feel like a second cousin just died.

87150073-3773-4014-A6AE-39465ADAC027.jpg
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      I just ruined a brisket. I had just pulled it off the smoker and set it on a little table next to the smoker so I could close the lid. On the table was a bee trap. When the brisket touched the table the bee trap rocked forward and tipped over onto the brisket, spilling all the liquid poison inside. I feel like a second cousin just died.

[ATTACH]9742[/ATTACH]
                      So sorry to hear it. Thoughts and prayers.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Bees are your friends. I can see eliminating wasps, because they suck, but bees are handy to have around the place.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          Bees are your friends. I can see eliminating wasps, because they suck, but bees are handy to have around the place.
                          We set it up for wasps. My son took it down and I didn’t notice it until I saw it tipping over and into the food. Just stupid all the way around on my part. I don’t do a lot of smoking at home lately and I was using a smoker I seldom use ever. I was just out of sorts a bit and wasn’t paying attention. It really was beautiful and I killed it.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Nooooo!!!!!

That is tragic. Thoughts and prayers.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                              I can see eliminating wasps, because they suck
                              That's mosquitos you're thinking of.
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• That looks really nice! I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X