Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1114

Thread: The Official Brisket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    How did they turn out? With church from 1-4, I think I'll plan to have it cooked before church and keep it in the oven at 160.
    i'd be careful about overcooking it given the size
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

How did they turn out? With church from 1-4, I think I'll plan to have it cooked before church and keep it in the oven at 160.
    Fine - they weren't anything to write home about, but they tasted pretty good.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i'd be careful about overcooking it given the size
    I've heard 6-7 hours cooking time on 225. I'm wondering how close I can time it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cooking my first brisket tomorrow.

It's a baby brisket at 6.9 pounds, but I'm going to follow much of the opening post. Thanks, JL!
    Good luck!

That is a tiny brisket. In my opinion, bigger briskets are easier to do. Especially if your small brisket is just the flat (no point).
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Good luck!

That is a tiny brisket. In my opinion, bigger briskets are easier to do. Especially if your small brisket is just the flat (no point).
    I put it in the smoker on 225 this morning at 6:15, so it's been smoking for six hours, and is currently at 181. I think it's going to be done sometime during sacrament meeting that starts at 1, so I'll check the temp right before I leave and make some calculations. I might be ok to wait right before sunday school. Here's a picture of the brisket with the rub last night. It's not just the flat.

Brisket Rubbed.jpg

Check that. It's up to 190, but moving the probe found 186. I'll wait till this new spot is 190, pull it cool it, and hold it in the oven at 160 through church. I'm a rookie, and shouldn't have done this on Sunday with the 1-4 schedule.

Check that. It's up to 190, but moving the probe found 186. I'll wait till this new spot is 190, pull it cool it, and hold it in the oven at 160 through church. I'm a rookie, and shouldn't have done this on Sunday with the 1-4 schedule.
    You've got this!
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-25-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Hopefully Bo’s silence is due to him stuffing his face with delicious brisket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I learned quite a bit on this first attempt. The tray, broth and foil kept it moist. However, it was a mistake to cook it on Sunday with a three hour block at the end of the day. I pulled it as early as I could so that I would not be late, but it needed to cook a little more for optimal tenderness. I chose not to cool it down, hoping that would help it some, but as you can probably see in the picture with the sliced brisket, it was still a tougher than it should have been.

The flavors were great. I might try some chili powder in my next rub. I wanted to start with something small so if I ruined it I wouldn't feel so bad. And I need to buy a wifi or other remote meat temperature probe.

I was planning on sandwiches tomorrow. Any way tenderize the leftovers for a better sandwich? Crock-pot?

Brisket 1.jpg

Brisket 2.jpg

Brisket 3.jpg

I'm a big believer in using the crock pot.... I'm certain that putting that tough meat in a pot overnight would achieve the tenderness you look for.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I'm a big believer in using the crock pot.... I'm certain that putting that tough meat in a pot overnight would achieve the tenderness you look for.
    I just read a recipe that says to put it in the oven in broth with peppers and onions on 325 for 3-4 hours. Sounds like the same concept.

Crock pot. Gtfo.

Just slice it as thin as you can. And add some of the juices from the pan if you kept any.

Crock pot. Gtfo.

Just slice it as thin as you can. And add some of the juices from the pan if you kept any.
    Kept them!

It had been a while since I smoked one of these. Turned out fantastic with rave reviews from the native Texans we had over.

I also found out that HEB carries oak pellets and at half the cost of traeger brand.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Looks moist and tender. What happened to the bark?
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Default The Official Brisket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Looks moist and tender. What happened to the bark?
    That was the underside so it wasn’t as barky but was still good. I’ve been using those large disposable roasting pan things and I lift the brisket off the bottom with cookie cooling racks (you can see the little criss cross pattern). Obviously I need to get something a little taller since the juices got high enough to reach the bottom of the brisket, thus messing up the bark a bit.

We're having a birthday party for my dad next month. He turns 80. Sounds like the fam wants brisket.

My smoker grate measures 19.5 x 22. I went to Costco tonight, and could cook two of their brisket packs, but it would basically take up the whole cooking area. Is that a problem? Also, pickings were slim tonight, and the largest was 18.65 pounds. How much bigger do they go? I think we'll have close to 50 people.

Yeah, nevermind. I guess my brother is doing it. I don't think he has a smoker, so it'll probably be cooked some other way.

Princeps Inter Pares

Yeah, nevermind. I guess my brother is doing it. I don't think he has a smoker, so it'll probably be cooked some other way.
    Um, you need to intervene right away.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

We're having a birthday party for my dad next month. He turns 80. Sounds like the fam wants brisket.

My smoker grate measures 19.5 x 22. I went to Costco tonight, and could cook two of their brisket packs, but it would basically take up the whole cooking area. Is that a problem? Also, pickings were slim tonight, and the largest was 18.65 pounds. How much bigger do they go? I think we'll have close to 50 people.
    You are killing me, Smalls.

18.65 lbs is a huge brisket. Typical size for a packer is 12-18 lbs.

I would be very impressed if you could squeeze two briskets on a grate that size.

Two briskets will not feed 50 people, unless they limit portion size. Brisket sandwiches would help stretch things.

I would be very impressed if you could squeeze two briskets on a grate that size.

Two briskets will not feed 50 people, unless they limit portion size. Brisket sandwiches would help stretch things.
    I measured them, and they were about 10" wide and 19" long. I just did the math. I wouldn't want to try it unless I knew others who had done the same thing with positive results. And, pretty sure we'd need a third one.

My brother does some gourmet cooking, so I'm sure he has something he wants to do that doesn't involve smokers. This whole party is a little frustrating because we seem to have several people with strong opinions of what we should "do". At least the dressing up in period clothing of our ancestors didn't make the cut.

I measured them, and they were about 10" wide and 19" long. I just did the math. I wouldn't want to try it unless I knew others who had done the same thing with positive results. And, pretty sure we'd need a third one.

My brother does some gourmet cooking, so I'm sure he has something he wants to do that doesn't involve smokers. This whole party is a little frustrating because we seem to have several people with strong opinions of what we should "do". At least the dressing up in period clothing of our ancestors didn't make the cut.

Thank heaven for small favors

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Talked to my brother and he plans to cook the brisket sous vide, and then maybe finish on my smoker. I think it's an abomination, but he's in the driver's seat, so I'll let him run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    [/B]

Thank heaven for small favors
    Yes, prayers were answered.

What he said. Unless you're doing sandwiches and everyone is only having one, and half the 50 are children, you need three. A rule of thumb is 2/3 to 1 lb uncooked per person. I'd smoke them one at a time for 3-6 hours each and wrap the first two, put them on a cookie sheet, and finish them in the oven at 200 while the last one finishes on the smoker. Sous vide is a bad idea for a number of reasons I don't have the patience to explain on a phone keyboard.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    What he said. Unless you're doing sandwiches and everyone is only having one, and half the 50 are children, you need three. A rule of thumb is 2/3 to 1 lb uncooked per person. I'd smoke them one at a time for 3-6 hours each and wrap the first two, put them on a cookie sheet, and finish them in the oven at 200 while the last one finishes on the smoker. Sous vide is a bad idea for a number of reasons I don't have the patience to explain on a phone keyboard.

Seems like all my neighbors have smokers too. I know I could borrow another one. But my brother is pretty head strong.

bo diddley just sit back, relax and be excited for the opportunity to bask in his embarrassment at a small amount of poorly cooked brisket
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Sous vide brisket huh? To be honest,
    It sounds weird but I’m willing to have someone else try it with a brisket they purchased just to see what happens.