The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This should be fixable. What temp are you cooking to? And do you foil after a few hours of smoke?
    I pull the brisket from the heat based on probing with a toothpick or the meat thermo, which may be the problem. I pulled one today at 203; the other probed like butter at 195. I keep them uncovered until around 170 (cooking at 225), then wrap in foil and finish in the oven.

After FTC'ing, one was lights out. The other was a little less moist. I think it just got overcooked because most of the fat in the point was rendered out. I may be taking the "probe like warm butter" directive a little too seriously.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 10-20-2017, 09:34 AM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I pull the brisket from the heat based on proing with a toothpick or, which may be the problem. I pulled one today at 203; the other probed like butter at 195. I keep them uncovered until around 170 (cooking at 225), then wrap in foil and finish in the oven.

After FTC'ing, one was lights out. The other was a little less moist. I think it just got overcooked because most of the fat in the point was rendered out. I may be taking the "probe like warm butter" directive a little too seriously.
      I did that "probe like warm butter" thing for a while because local BBQ guru Bam Bam was recommending it at his classes. All I got out of that was overcooked dry brisket.

I also figured out that the brisket continues to get more tender and break down connective tissue during the FTC phase. So I get better results if I cook to a temp (195 degrees) and then hold for 4-6 hours. It always ends up tender and moist and I no longer overcook. Another thing I have learned is that you need to take it out of the oven/smoker and unfoil for 5-10 minutes and then cover again before the FTC phase. Otherwise, I think it continues to cook and you can get it overdone. The perfect brisket if tender and moist, but still firm enough to hold a slice and bend over your finger.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I also figured out that the brisket continues to get more tender and break down connective tissue during the FTC phase. So I get better results if I cook to a temp (195 degrees) and then hold for 4-6 hours. It always ends up tender and moist and I no longer overcook. Another thing I have learned is that you need to take it out of the oven/smoker and unfoil for 5-10 minutes and then cover again before the FTC phase. Otherwise, I think it continues to cook and you can get it overdone.
        I add my testimony to that of yours in the bolded part. I will have to pay attention the that italicized part as the last brisket I did I felt was overcooked and I don't remember if I went straight from smoker to FTC, that would make sense though.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

I did that "probe like warm butter" thing for a while because local BBQ guru Bam Bam was recommending it at his classes. All I got out of that was overcooked dry brisket.

I also figured out that the brisket continues to get more tender and break down connective tissue during the FTC phase. So I get better results if I cook to a temp (195 degrees) and then hold for 4-6 hours. It always ends up tender and moist and I no longer overcook. Another thing I have learned is that you need to take it out of the oven/smoker and unfoil for 5-10 minutes and then cover again before the FTC phase. Otherwise, I think it continues to cook and you can get it overdone. The perfect brisket if tender and moist, but still firm enough to hold a slice and bend over your finger.
          I can confirm as well.

Brisket has been the hardest for me to master, but I'm starting to zero in on consistent, delicious results. I think this is the last change I'll need to make before I fine tune a few things.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            I can confirm as well.

Brisket has been the hardest for me to master, but I'm starting to zero in on consistent, delicious results. I think this is the last change I'll need to make.
            I bought my son a smoker as a graduation present. His favorite thing to do is brisket and he is getting really good at it. It has been fun to watch.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I bought my son a smoker as a graduation present. His favorite thing to do is brisket and he is getting really good at it. It has been fun to watch.
              This is great news. Where does he live, and I'll invite myself for dinner. Seriously, that's a really cool skill to pass to your son.

To all others reading this thread, listen to the Dude- he's a master. It's really all about chemistry; the longer the meat stays between 185 and 195, the more the connective tissue will soften without coming apart. Cook to a temp above 205, and the connective tissue liquefies, giving you a pot roast. The key to the FTC phase is holding it above the collagen rendering temp of 160 so the moisture emitted by the softening collagen stays in the meat and makes it moist.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Even with relatively modest rib roast prices, my family wanted brisket this year. I did try a little different recipe for this one. For neighbor gifts I smoked salt, pepper and olive oil. I had a bunch left over so I used the salt and pepper as my rub. Hopefully it turns out.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                  Even with relatively modest rib roast prices, my family wanted brisket this year. I did try a little different recipe for this one. For neighbor gifts I smoked salt, pepper and olive oil. I had a bunch left over so I used the salt and pepper as my rub. Hopefully it turns out.
                  Can you clarify? Did you give the neighbors brisket? Or just salt, pepper, and olive oil?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                    Can you clarify? Did you give the neighbors brisket? Or just salt, pepper, and olive oil?
                    Just the seasonings, although I probably make a couple of briskets a month for neighbors. I had a bunch of the salt/pepper left over so I used them on our Christmas dinner.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• When I picked up our Christmas brisket, Costco had a small 9.5 pounder that I picked up. My thought was it would be a good and fairly inexpensive experiment brisket. I smoked it at 180 for 15 hours to 170 degrees. I then reverse seared it and cranked it up to 375 for about an hour. I pulled it at 195. The bark got a little charred over some of the fatty spots, but otherwise looked great. It’s resting in the oven now at 185. I’m curious if I’ll be able tell any difference at all.

Comment

• Brisket is good for you. Eat more of it. FYI!
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• JL, I see your last update to the first post is from 2015. Other than cooking to temp (195), have you incorporated any other changes to your preferred method?
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Cooking my first brisket tomorrow.

It's a baby brisket at 6.9 pounds, but I'm going to follow much of the opening post. Thanks, JL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              Cooking my first brisket tomorrow.

It's a baby brisket at 6.9 pounds, but I'm going to follow much of the opening post. Thanks, JL!
                              Good luck. I've only ventured into the brisket world a couple of times.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Good luck. I've only ventured into the brisket world a couple of times.
                                How did they turn out? With church from 1-4, I think I'll plan to have it cooked before church and keep it in the oven at 160.

Comment

Working...
                                X