The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

You forgot to mention how warm it is in Houston right now.
    I had to scrape frost off of my car window yesterday and I wore a jacket. Thankfully today I could leave the jacket at home. Should be in the low 70s next week
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
      My wife is on bed rest right now. I try to give her a 2 to 3 hour break from the boy and me every day. If they don't have something I've got plenty of time to bring one down to you.
      That is very kind of you to offer.

Fortunately, Springville Meat Co. came through for me. :clap:
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That is very kind of you to offer.

Fortunately, Springville Meat Co. came through for me. :clap:
        Good news. What is the grade of meat they offer?

I've been thinking about brisket for the last 12 hours. Thanks a lot, JL.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Good news. What is the grade of meat they offer?
          They said it is equivalent to USDA choice. We have had good luck with them in the past.

I've been thinking about brisket for the last 12 hours. Thanks a lot, JL.
          That's funny. I told my wife when I went to bed last night that I couldn't sleep because I was so hungry after researching brisket on the web.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

The only place around here I have found where I can consistently find packers if Wal-Mart believe it our not.
            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              The only place around here I have found where I can consistently find packers if Wal-Mart believe it our not.

Which one?

Comment

Cedar Hills is where I usually hey them but I have seen them at others too.
                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                  We called Costco in Orem yesterday and asked for the meat dept. and they said "Hold on, I will put you through". Someone came on and my wife asked if they had brisket and if they had whole packers. The guy said "Yes, we do. Whole packers are $3.99/lb and flats are $4.99/lb." (shut up, Moliere) So I drove over there and all they had in the case was some small flats at $3.99/lb. I knocked on the window and got the butcher guy to open the window:

Me: Where are your packer-style briskets?
                  Him: Oh, we don't carry them. Just the flats.
                  Me: (puzzled look): But we just called here and somebody not only said you had them, but quoted a price.
                  Him: That's odd. Must have been one the operators at the central Costco offices. Sometimes they do that. We used to sell whole packers but now we just sell flats. None of the Costco stores in Utah sells packers anymore.
                  Me: OK. Do you have any suggestions were get them. I hear Walmart carries them.
                  Him: Oh, you should never buy meat from Walmart. It is the lowest quality meat you can buy. Go to Harmons or Maceys. Anywhere but Walmart.

The packer we got today was $2.49/lb.

Comment

We called Costco in Orem yesterday and asked for the meat dept. and they said "Hold on, I will put you through". Someone came on and my wife asked if they had brisket and if they had whole packers. The guy said "Yes, we do. Whole packers are $3.99/lb and flats are $4.99/lb." (shut up, Moliere) So I drove over there and all they had in the case was some small flats at $3.99/lb. I knocked on the window and got the butcher guy to open the window:

Me: (puzzled look): But we just called here and somebody not only said you had them, but quoted a price.
                    Him: That's odd. Must have been one the operators at the central Costco offices. Sometimes they do that. We used to sell whole packers but now we just sell flats. None of the Costco stores in Utah sells packers anymore.
                    Him: Oh, you should never buy meat from Walmart. It is the lowest quality meat you can buy. Go to Harmons or Maceys. Anywhere but Walmart.

I agree with him about WM meat in general. Like I said, only place I can consistently find them.

Comment

I bought a full packer at the Bountiful Costco in June. I went back about a week later to get another one and was told that they do not and never have sold full packer briskets. About a month ago I was in the same Costco buying babyback ribs. Sure enough, they had about five full packers and about 40 flats.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I bought a full packer at the Bountiful Costco in June. I went back about a week later to get another one and was told that they do not and never have sold full packer briskets. About a month ago I was in the same Costco buying babyback ribs. Sure enough, they had about five full packers and about 40 flats.
                        That's funny. He also told me that the Orem Costco is the only Utah Costco that ever carried packers. I love Costco, but sometimes they can be knuckleheads.

Comment

Have you started your brisket yet? Updates please.

Comment

Have you started your brisket yet? Updates please.
                            No. It's for Sunday dinner. I will put it on late tomorrow night.

Comment

Prepped the brisket today. Here are some photos so you experts can tell me if I did something wrong. Here is the bottom, prior to trimming:

Nice marbling on the point:

After trimming the fat off the bottom:

Here is the cap. I tried to leave 1/8-1/4" of fat, but it is kind of guesswork in most places. I will cook with this side up to keep the brisket moist.

A light coating of mustard prior to putting on the rub. Looking back at this photo, I am wondering if I should have removed more of the fat on this side. From what I understand, the smoke doesn't penetrate the fat, so you want one side to be well trimmed. Hopefully, there is not enough there to matter much.

A healthy dose of Paul Kirk rub:

Sitting in the fridge now.

Comment

Oh my that is a nice looking piece of meat. I gotta get me some of that. Off to Costco today.

Comment

Working...
                                X