The Returned Missionary Pal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I must admit I'm unfamiliar with the concept of creating a wiki - is it easy to do? That sounds like the best idea of all to me so far.
    It really depends on the wiki software. Personally, I have used about five different ones and really don't have too much of a preference. Apple has one of the easiest ones that I have ever used but one would expect that. There are a ton of open source ones...

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software"]Comparison of wiki software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

It would be a matter of picking one and finding a cheap place to host it.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      A wiki would be great, ideally, but it might increase the likelihood that we run into people or groups that specifically request that their quotes or material not be included on our site.
      I don't see how it would be any different that putting their quotes or material here. Of course, with a separate wiki you could restrict it to members only.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BRIGHAM YOUNG IS NEVER WRONG

Here's one you can use to thwart those who balk at quoting something by Brigham Young that sounds crazy:

By Brigham Young at the Bowery in Paris, Idaho, August 31, 1873 (as reported by George Q. Cannon):

"I am here to answer. I shall be on hand to answer when I am called upon, for all the counsel and for all the instruction that I have given to this people. If there is an Elder here, or any member of this Church, called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who can bring up the first idea, the first sentence that I have delivered to the people as counsel that is wrong, I really wish they would do it; but they cannot do it, for the simple reason that I have never given counsel that is wrong; this is the reason." (Journal of Discourses 16:161.)
        http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-16/
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Maybe we should use the "Title" box to make finding stuff easier.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            Here's one you can use to thwart those who balk at quoting something by Brigham Young that sounds crazy:

By Brigham Young at the Bowery in Paris, Idaho, August 31, 1873 (as reported by George Q. Cannon):

That's one of the craziest BY quotes I have seen.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

The George Q. and SLR quotes are amazing.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Lol, that's awesome. In a crazy sort of way. I'm adding that in with the Wilford Woodruff "never lead you astray" quote.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

BRIGHAM YOUNG SPEAKS SCRIPTURE

Spoiler for keeping down the clutter:
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  That's one of the craziest BY quotes I have seen.
                  How about this one then?

Brigham Young, delivered in the SLC Tabernacle, January 2, 1870:

I have never yet preached a sermon and sent it out to the children of men, that they may not call Scripture. Let me have the privilege of correcting a sermon, and it is as good Scripture as they deserve. The people have the oracles of God continually." (Journal of Discourses, 13:95)
                  http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-13/
                  Last edited by wuapinmon; 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

JESUS WAS BEGOTTEN OF THE FATHER LIKE I WAS

Spoiler for Less clutter in the thread:
                    Brigham Young, July 8, 1860, the Bowery, Great Salt Lake City, Utah

The birth of the Savior was as natural as the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood--was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers. (Journal of Discourses, 8:115)
                    http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-08/

Brigham Young, February 8, 1857, the Tabernacle, Great Salt Lake City, Utah

When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it." (Journal of Discourses, 4:218)
                    http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-04/
                    Last edited by wuapinmon; 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Brigham Young, July 8, 1860, the Bowery, Great Salt Lake City, Utah

http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-08/

Brigham Young, February 8, 1857, the Tabernacle, Great Salt Lake City, Utah

http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-04/
                      Is this already turning into the "let's find the most insane quotes"' thread? I'm beginning to wonder how wuap's quotes are going to thwart mullahs.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Is this already turning into the "let's find the most insane quotes"' thread? I'm beginning to wonder how wuap's quotes are going to thwart mullahs.
                        I thought the same thing. There is a place for that in the thread but I am hopeful it prove to be a more useful exercise once everyone can get home and check out their own lists of stuff.

If done correctly, this can be a helpful thread.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Hey now, you're not using your imagination very well. Those quotes have a time and a place wherein their use, even as a counterpoint, can be completely apropos. For example, when someone says something like, "the prophet will never lead us astray," then you could share something like this:

Brigham Young, SLC Tabernacle, March 8, 1863

Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so." (Journal of Discourses, 10:109-10.)
                          http://www.journalofdiscourses.com/volume-10/
                          Last edited by wuapinmon; 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Hey now, you're not using your imagination very well. Those quotes have a time and a place wherein their use, even as a counterpoint, can be completely apropos. For example, when someone says something like, "the prophet will never lead us astray," then you could share something like this:

Brigham Young, SLC Tabernacle, March 8, 1863

http://www.journalofdiscourses.org/volume-10/
                            Yeah, so, that's not going to do anything to a mullah except inflame him/her. That quote has been "overruled" and so there is an easy out for the whole astray bit.

DDD is right - this thread shouldn't be about nutty quotes. This thread should be about good quotes that are helpful in proving a point, not crazy ones that help disprove one. At least that's what I think.

I have some more from SLR tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              Yeah, so, that's not going to do anything to a mullah except inflame him/her. That quote has been "overruled" and so there is an easy out for the whole astray bit.

DDD is right - this thread shouldn't be about nutty quotes. This thread should be about good quotes that are helpful in proving a point, not crazy ones that help disprove one. At least that's what I think.

I have some more from SLR tonight.
                              Agreed.

I have a topical request for those that are inclined....any quotes, links, etc that walk through the history of the WoW, how it was initially brought forth and then passed into "canon," etc. If anyone has a good trove of related material on the WoW, that would be a nice one to share.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                Agreed.

I have a topical request for those that are inclined....any quotes, links, etc that walk through the history of the WoW, how it was initially brought forth and then passed into "canon," etc. If anyone has a good trove of related material on the WoW, that would be a nice one to share.
                                I've got a treasure trove of that but it's very disorganized. I'll have to piecemeal it for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X