Best TV series 2000-today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    There are a few shows that should definitely be in the discussion.

Battlestar Galactica is truly a genius show and should be on any top 5 list. Yes, it had some ups and downs, but it was remarkable and well acted with interesting storylines.

Veronica Mars had too short of a run. That first season, yes I know that I have talked about this all too much, is an all time great first season. It was amazing. The follow up two seasons were both real good, but couldn't touch that first season.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is another absolutely terrific show. But it sits right on your definition of 2000...as that was right in the middle of its run.

In terms of comedies, Arrested Development stands alone. It has since spawned a bunch of other similar type comedies like Better off Ted and Happy Endings...but AD is just awesome.

After a relatively rocky first season, Fringe has gotten better every single year. If it can improve yet again this coming season, then this is a top 10 show in the 2000s as well.

The UK Office is also terrific. It is a good thing and a shame that there are such few episodes...but Ricky Gervais was amazing in that role and the supporting cast was very good. The US Office was solid for the first couple of seasons...but could never live up to the relentless brutal comedy of the UK version.
    I have all 3 seasons of Veronica Mars.. LOVE that show.. 1st season was the best and the other 2 were well done..

As part of the bonus in Season 3 they have a few episodes they did for Season 4 Before it was cut). It was not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      1. Arrested Development
      2. 24 (would be #1 if it wouldn't have dropped off so severely after season 3)
      3. Southland (best show currently in production)
      4. Friday Night Lights
      5. Veronica Mars
      Southland is another show that got its start on NBC. I've heard it's pretty good, haven't watched it. CBS still gets massive ratings for its CSI rubbish, while NBC has taken on Friday Night Lights and Southland which are both rated higher than anything on CBS. NBC is in the toilet and CBS is doing great, go figure.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Are we looking at just drama??

If not, I would say "Scrubs" belongs in this for me..

1. 24
        2. Scrubs
        3. Dexter
        4. Veronica Mars
        5. Mentalist (Started in 2008)

Comment

Nobody here likes 30 Rock or Community?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

1 The Office (British)
            2 Arrested Development
            3 Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill
            4 30 Rock
            5 Flight of the Conchords

Comment

1. Top Gear (UK version)

*Big drop off*

2. The Office
              3. Simpsons
              4. 24
              5. Prison Break (mostly just the first season)

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Nobody here likes 30 Rock or Community?
                (Not in order)
                30 Rock!
                Malcolm in the Middle
                Breaking Bad
                Arrested Development
                Mad Men
                The Office
                What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                  FYI all the seasons of "Lost" are on Netflix
                  Also on Amazon Prime...

I signed up for amazon prime (got a good deal of 38 bucks for the year) last week, and while it doesn't have a TON of stuff, it's not bad... I have actually never seen an episode of Arrested Development, but now that AP has all the seasons, I can finally check it out.

Comment

1. The Wire --it's not even close.

2. Breaking Bad -- Terminator Gus!

3. Mad Men -- in spite of the bad January acting

3. Rome -- I loved this show

3. Arrested Development -- endlessly quotable

3. Battlestar Galactica -- compelling and mostly well-acted....mostly

7. 30 Rock -- only because of Tracy Morgan, Alec Baldwin, and Kenneth. I'm not a Tina Fey fan.

7. House -- I like detective fiction

9. Entourage -- the first couple of season. After Escobar, I checked out.

9. My Name Is Earl -- Some of the first two seasons was hysterical.

9. Da Ali G Show -- "What about Disneyland?"
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                      Southland is another show that got its start on NBC. I've heard it's pretty good, haven't watched it. CBS still gets massive ratings for its CSI rubbish, while NBC has taken on Friday Night Lights and Southland which are both rated higher than anything on CBS. NBC is in the toilet and CBS is doing great, go figure.
                      I urge anyone who has ever enjoyed a cop show to give Southland a try if you haven't already. It's the new gold standard, in my opinion. Caveat: I haven't seen any of The Shield.

Comment

Firefly? I've never seen it, but I heard it was really good. Worth a watch?

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          Firefly? I've never seen it, but I heard it was really good. Worth a watch?
                          It's only 14 eps, def worth a watch. Have to watch the movie Serenity after the series though for some "closure" to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            I urge anyone who has ever enjoyed a cop show to give Southland a try if you haven't already. It's the new gold standard, in my opinion. Caveat: I haven't seen any of The Shield.
                            Or The Wire, I take it.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              Or The Wire, I take it.
                              I always assume someone hasn't seen the Wire if it isn't in their top 5 list. Usually that assumption is right.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                Or The Wire, I take it.
                                Correct. I didn't even know The Wire was a cop show until now.

Comment

Working...
                                X