Best TV series 2000-today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
    No honorable mention for little Miss Vixen, Kid Chino and The Ironist? Only slightly disappointed...
    Funny you should say that. I actually started watching season 1 again the last couple nights. Still love it.

And I'm totally watching Rachel Bilson's (and Jason Street!) new show in the fall.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

You folks that aren't providing rankings are cheating.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I am a WHO, not a THAT.

Comment

There are a few shows that should definitely be in the discussion.

Battlestar Galactica is truly a genius show and should be on any top 5 list. Yes, it had some ups and downs, but it was remarkable and well acted with interesting storylines.

Veronica Mars had too short of a run. That first season, yes I know that I have talked about this all too much, is an all time great first season. It was amazing. The follow up two seasons were both real good, but couldn't touch that first season.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is another absolutely terrific show. But it sits right on your definition of 2000...as that was right in the middle of its run.

In terms of comedies, Arrested Development stands alone. It has since spawned a bunch of other similar type comedies like Better off Ted and Happy Endings...but AD is just awesome.

After a relatively rocky first season, Fringe has gotten better every single year. If it can improve yet again this coming season, then this is a top 10 show in the 2000s as well.

The UK Office is also terrific. It is a good thing and a shame that there are such few episodes...but Ricky Gervais was amazing in that role and the supporting cast was very good. The US Office was solid for the first couple of seasons...but could never live up to the relentless brutal comedy of the UK version.
          Last edited by UteStar; 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Ed.
            1. Ed

I watch very little tv...
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

An update to my rankings. I've now seen Friday Night Lights, Arrested Development, and Justified.

1. The Wire: I'm still a little ashamed to have watched this, but the quality of the product is unquestionable.

2. Mad Men = Breaking Bad: This is really a McCovey or Mantle type discussion. I can appreciate both styles and think they are clearly the best shows on TV (I haven't seen Homeland, Game of Thrones, Dexter, or any of the other premium cable shows)

3. Toughest call is for this spot; FNL or The Shield? Very, very different shows, but both were amazing. I will give the edge to The Shield. As much as I loved the town of Dillon and the Taylors, some of the storylines were a little too soap operish.

4) Friday Night Lights The only show I can remember that brought me to tears multiple times. The Taylors are the gold standard all other fictional marriages should be compared to. Small deduction for Riggins staring in the gawd-awful John Carter, my wife took me too.

5) Arrested Development Another new addition to my list, thanks to Netflix. Great casting, fantastic actors, and due to its premature cancellation left me wanting more of the Bluths.

6) Justified=The Walking Dead I'm sure there are better series, but I watch so little TV, I can't think of anything else I would put in this slot.
              Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-27-2012, 10:13 AM.

Comment

In no particular order:

Deadliest Catch
                Firefly
                Battlestar Galactica
                Game of Thrones
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  An update to my rankings. I've now seen Friday Night Lights, Arrested Development, and Justified.

1. The Wire: Still a little ashamed to have watched this, but the quality of the product is unquestionable.

2. Mad Men = Breaking Bad: This is really a McCovey or Mantle type discussion. I can appreciate both styles and think they are clearly the best shows on TV (I haven't seen Homeland, Game of Thrones, Dexter, or any of the other premium cable shows)

3. Toughest call is for this spot. FNL or The Shield. Very, very different shows, but both were amazing. I will give the edge to The Shield. As much as I loved the town of Dillon and the Taylors, some of the storylines were a little too soap operish.

4) Friday Night Lights The only show I can remember that brought me to tears multiple times. The Taylors are the gold standard all other fictional marriages should be compared to. Small deduction for Riggins staring in the gawd-awful John Carter, my wife too me too.

5) Arrested Development Another new addition to my list, thanks to Netflix. Great casting, fantastic actors, and due to its premature cancellation left me wanting more of the Bluths.

6) Justified=The Walking Dead I'm sure there are better series, but I watch so little TV, I can't think of anything else i would put in this slot.
                  I'd like to go on record to say that the few episodes I've seen of FNL and Mad Men left me quite bored and not excited to watch more. I really like everything else on your list.

Comment

1. Lost

Comment

I don't know that I've watched anything that I'm ready to add to my list. Since my last ranking, I've jumped into Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Skins. The one that could likely end up in my top 5 is GoT, but I'll give it another season or two before adding it.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

1. The Wire: Still a little ashamed to have watched this, but the quality of the product is unquestionable.

3. Toughest call is for this spot. FNL or The Shield. Very, very different shows, but both were amazing. I will give the edge to The Shield. As much as I loved the town of Dillon and the Taylors, some of the storylines were a little too soap operish.

4) Friday Night Lights The only show I can remember that brought me to tears multiple times. The Taylors are the gold standard all other fictional marriages should be compared to. Small deduction for Riggins staring in the gawd-awful John Carter, my wife too me too.

6) Justified=The Walking Dead I'm sure there are better series, but I watch so little TV, I can't think of anything else i would put in this slot.
                        FYI all the seasons of "Lost" are on Netflix
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I read an article on Grantland about how we've experienced a golden age of television since The Sopranos came on the scene in 1999 (so basically since 2000). This author also argued that this golden age will come to an end once Mad Men wraps and that series like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are hastening it.

Hogwash.

Game of Thrones is the natural extension of television becoming a much more serious and better written medium since the Sopranos came about. It was only a matter of time until the fantasy genre (especially one laced with political maneuvering) was given some quality treatment. The first season of Game of Thrones was my favorite season of television ever. Other series have had great first seasons and flamed out (e.g. Dexter) and I sincerely hope, but also doubt, that this is going to happen to GoT because its source material is much richer.

But other series that would continue this golden age (as that author interprets it) have been attempted and have failed. The Killing and Hell on Wheels have been subpar, not because of concept, but because of bad writing and poor character development. In more capable hands they would succeed. Concepts like this will be developed in the future only guys like Matthew Weiner and Vince Gilligan will be behind it. Sure sophomore efforts don't always work out, but that is mostly because of the concept (e.g. Treme).

Anyway here is my personal top 5:

1. Game of Thrones. We've only had one season, but it was excellent. Of course if the quality goes down so will its ranking.

2. Breaking Bad. I love this show. Why didn't Bryan Cranston get more notoriety earlier? Not many actors could have appeared as a recurring character on Seinfeld and then been the lead in something like Breaking Bad.

3. Justified. This show started in March of 2010, is this not a show that belongs in the golden age discussion? Note to people that haven't watched this show -- you have to get through the first season, particular its first half. It finishes strong however. The second season is terrific and the third has also been great. This show has the best acting on this list aside from Breaking Bad.

4. Friday Night Lights. I've been late to discover this show. I'm at the beginning of the 5th season right now. I don't know how I feel about the 5th season so far, I hope it finishes strong. The first season was great. The second season I feel is a little underrated, but it was interrupted by the writer's strike. The third season was a nice rebound. I liked the fourth season but I missed Tyra and I think the show suffered with Matt Saracen's absence in the second half of the season (didn't miss Minka Kelly at all). I appreciate this show's portrayal of rural (or semi-rural) America. I also like its portrayal of the Taylors marriage, their marriage and their trials seem interesting without resorting to portraying their relationship as dysfunctional (none of the other shows -- at least ones that take place on this world- on this list portray a functional marriage, think about it). Friday Night Lights is different because it was successful at making functional people interesting and was equally adept at portraying flawed individuals (Tim Riggins).

5. Mad Men. Funny, stylish and sometimes suspenseful. I don't get into the "trying to figure out Don Draper" thing as much as other people. I appreciate the show because it's at times quite funny and it portrays the dramatic shift that took place between 1960 and 1970 (I would be willing to bet the last episode either takes place on New Year's Day 1970 or the day the Beatles broke up, April 1970). Getting January Jones off the show as a major character will only improve it. She's terrible and I invite everyone to look up what Zach Galifinakis had to say about her.

Notable exclusions:

The Wire. I acknowledge that the fourth season of this show was one of the greatest seasons ever. But I just couldn't get into a couple of the seasons. I still haven't bothered to watch season 5 so maybe I need to get around to doing that. I heard it was quite a dropoff from season 4.

The Sopranos. My memory of this show fades with time. Here's the thing about The Sopranos that I don't know is discussed very much -- aside from James Gandolfo and Edie Falco -- was the acting really that great? Still, this was a great show, and is definitely sixth on my list, but it always bothered me that the dude from the E Street band got an acting gig on this show.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            I read an article on Grantland about how we've experienced a golden age of television since The Sopranos came on the scene in 1999 (so basically since 2000). This author also argued that this golden age will come to an end once Mad Men wraps and that series like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are hastening it.

Hogwash.

Game of Thrones is the natural extension of television becoming a much more serious and better written medium since the Sopranos came about. It was only a matter of time until the fantasy genre (especially one laced with political maneuvering) was given some quality treatment. The first season of Game of Thrones was my favorite season of television ever. Other series have had great first seasons and flamed out (e.g. Dexter) and I sincerely hope, but also doubt, that this is going to happen to GoT because its source material is much richer.

But other series that would continue this golden age (as that author interprets it) have been attempted and have failed. The Killing and Hell on Wheels have been subpar, not because of concept, but because of bad writing and poor character development. In more capable hands they would succeed. Concepts like this will be developed in the future only guys like Matthew Weiner and Vince Gilligan will be behind it. Sure sophomore efforts don't always work out, but that is mostly because of the concept (e.g. Treme).

Anyway here is my personal top 5:

1. Game of Thrones. We've only had one season, but it was excellent. Of course if the quality goes down so will its ranking.

2. Breaking Bad. I love this show. Why didn't Bryan Cranston get more notoriety earlier? Not many actors could have appeared as a recurring character on Seinfeld and then been the lead in something like Breaking Bad.

3. Justified. This show started in March of 2010, is this not a show that belongs in the golden age discussion? Note to people that haven't watched this show -- you have to get through the first season, particular its first half. It finishes strong however. The second season is terrific and the third has also been great. This show has the best acting on this list aside from Breaking Bad.

4. Friday Night Lights. I've been late to discover this show. I'm at the beginning of the 5th season right now. I don't know how I feel about the 5th season so far, I hope it finishes strong. The first season was great. The second season I feel is a little underrated, but it was interrupted by the writer's strike. The third season was a nice rebound. I liked the fourth season but I missed Tyra and I think the show suffered with Matt Saracen's absence in the second half of the season (didn't miss Minka Kelly at all). I appreciate this show's portrayal of rural (or semi-rural) America. I also like its portrayal of the Taylors marriage, their marriage and their trials seem interesting without resorting to portraying their relationship as dysfunctional (none of the other shows -- at least ones that take place on this world- on this list portray a functional marriage, think about it). Friday Night Lights is different because it was successful at making functional people interesting and was equally adept at portraying flawed individuals (Tim Riggins).

5. Mad Men. Funny, stylish and sometimes suspenseful. I don't get into the "trying to figure out Don Draper" thing as much as other people. I appreciate the show because it's at times quite funny and it portrays the dramatic shift that took place between 1960 and 1970 (I would be willing to bet the last episode either takes place on New Year's Day 1970 or the day the Beatles broke up, April 1970). Getting January Jones off the show as a major character will only improve it. She's terrible and I invite everyone to look up what Zach Galifinakis had to say about her.

Notable exclusions:

The Wire. I acknowledge that the fourth season of this show was one of the greatest seasons ever. But I just couldn't get into a couple of the seasons. I still haven't bothered to watch season 5 so maybe I need to get around to doing that. I heard it was quite a dropoff from season 4.

The Sopranos. My memory of this show fades with time. Here's the thing about The Sopranos that I don't know is discussed very much -- aside from James Gandolfo and Edie Falco -- was the acting really that great? Still, this was a great show, and is definitely sixth on my list, but it always bothered me that the dude from the E Street band got an acting gig on this show.
                            I'm curious is Game of Thrones a PG-13 (Mad Men, BB) type show or is it a definite R (The Wire) type show? What little I know about the overall theme, I'm sure there is some violence and since it is cable i assume some language issues, but don't really know much about it.

Comment

1. Arrested Development
                              2. 24 (would be #1 if it wouldn't have dropped off so severely after season 3)
                              3. Southland (best show currently in production)
                              4. Friday Night Lights
                              5. Veronica Mars

Comment

I'm curious is Game of Thrones a PG-13 (Mad Men, BB) type show or is it a definite R (The Wire) type show? What little I know about the overall theme, I'm sure there is some violence and since it is cable i assume some language issues, but don't really know much about it.
                                It's a definite R. One scene, which was unnecessary, was NC-17. I wish HBO would either cut it out -- or cast Don Draper's new wife on the show.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X