Best TV series 2000-today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best TV series 2000-today

What is your ranking of the best series of the past decade? I know next to nothing about anything network related over the past 7 or 8 years but doubt I've missed much. I was given the box set of The Wire as a gift and should likely be more repentant than I am for watching it. AMC is the only non-premium channel that seems to be producing notable original series.

There obviously is a lot of choices and much like food or lovers to each his own. Some notables I've left off my list

* Lost- I never saw an episode. I keep planning to watch the DVD or dowload the series on itunes, but it feels like too much of a commitment at this time.
    *Sopranos- I have seen one or two of the edited for TV episodes. Too much is lost when they have to seemingly edit every other word or chop full scenes.
    * 24 First season was great. Novel idea, very well executed and one of the best season finales I can think of it. Unfortunately, it quickly degineratived into typical network garbage. I have little to no memories of season 2 and I doubt I washed more than one or two episodes from season 3 on.
    * Reality TV Survivor was (is?) king. Again great initial premise but I tired quickly of the tribe and Jeff Probst. I'm not sure I ever watched another reality series more than once or twice. I hear Hard Knocks is great, but have only seen a few clips on youtube.
    *Walking Dead and The Killing. I watched both after the fact, via itunes. Each had an interesting premise, but fell just a little short.
    *Office/Arrested Development/Curb your Enthusiasm: I know each show has a strong following, but again I've only seen a handful of episodes from each. Funny, but meh.

My top 5 of the past 10 years
    1) The Wire: Drama at its best. Rarely, if ever, have a I seen such multi-layered characters. It was so easy to care about and dislike so many individuals. A scarred, gay, Robin Hood-like, gun thug was one of my favorite people of all time.

2) Mad Men: I'm not old enough to remember this time, but my dad would have been almost the same age as Don. Though, very different men so much of what Don and other of that generation went through rings true and reminds me of my father.

3) Breaking Bad: Depending how the first few episodes of season 4 goes, this could vault past MM. Oh, Jesse what will you do?

4) The Shield: Vic Mackey- liar, thief, adulterer, murderer, crooked cop...and yet you somehow made me root for you. The ending to the next to last season was breathtaking. As Lem's car smoldered away and Shane walked away in horror, I sat in stunned silence.

5) The gap between 4th and 5th is, Secretariat at the Belmont, huge. I'm sure someone will remind me of a better show and I reserve the right to edit my list. For now I will go with Justified. Good story lines, Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins are great. The mid-season episodes wander away from the overall story too much and catching the bad guy at the end of every episode is a little too CSIish for me.

I would say Dexter should be there. Or does this exclude HBO, Showtime etc...

Comment

You are missing out on some good TV on FX, IMO. Damages, Justified, Rescue Me, though you did mention the Shield. I tried a few episodes of Mad Men, and couldn't get into it. I'd put Rome, Damages, The Tudors, Sopranos, Lost (even though I hate it) over your shows 2-4. And that's without including any comedies.

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        I would say Dexter should be there. Or does this exclude HBO, Showtime etc...
        No my list just included what I've seen. I agree Dexter would be a good addition. I have only seen the edited for TV version of the first season, but it seems like a cool premise and I love the actor who plays Dexter. Now the one who plays his sister, is beyond annoying.

Comment

I have mine highlighted here: http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...hlight=Firefly

On second thought, I would flip-flop Breaking Bad and Dexter. And, if we can include Freaks & Geeks (I think it ran '99-'00 no?), I would bump Dexter out of the top 5 so it looked like this:

1. The Wire - the best ever

2. Arrested Development - my favorite comedy ever

3. Friday Night Lights - just hit me in a different spot than the other shows and a set of characters i cared more about than any other show i've ever watched

4. Breaking Bad - would perhaps be higher but it has done things that have irked me more than any of my other favorite show

5. Freaks and Geeks - hadn't watched this when i did my prior list, and tough to rank this year with only one season, but just so great

Honorable Mention: Dexter - agree with Sepinwall that it can get a bit formulaic, but has provided some thrilling tv.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

1. Game of Thrones

2. Mad Men

3. The Sopranos

4. Breaking Bad

5. The Wire -- based on the 4th Season alone. I thought this show was a bit inconsistent in some of the other seasons, especially the 2nd. The interesting thing about Klosterman's column is that he thought the Wire would only appeal to people who were politically inclined in one particular direction. I don't think that's true. I looked at the show as the illustration of urban corruption in all its forms. David Simon portrayed urban corruption as something that resulted from people all trying maintain and expand their power. Although I think what Simon is saying is true, I think it's the marriage of these personal vices combined with public money being poured into a black hole and little accountability for whether the money is doing any good. People in different parts of the political spectrum can derive something out of this show. Someone with a different political persuasion than I would think after watching the 4th Season, "Hey, we need to put more money into special classes so more of these kids can be helped." I look at it and say "This is the natural result of the Great Society -- kids growing up in deplorable conditions. When you try to screw with Darwin's theories and prop up bad behaviors, this is what happens."

Honorable Mention:

Justified: The 2nd season was very good. I felt like the show moved on from the CSIish tendencies and had more of a continual story line. Boyd Crowder is probably one of the top 3 characters on TV right now.

BSG: This show was very good sometimes and was inconsistent at other times. It suffered from budget issues I think. The original miniseries and first two seasons were great. The last two seasons, not as much. It resembled Lost in this way. But I think the high points of the series were higher than those on Lost.

Shows I haven't watched: Friday Night Lights (it's on Netflix!) and the Shield.
            Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I had the same reaction to Klosterman. There was a podcast a while back where he said he thought BB had overtaken The Wire, because to truly appreciate The Wire it needed to be seen through a certain political lens. That was only a small part of his essay, but I do disagree with what he's saying for mostly the same reasons you listed.

Why do you cite season 2 as evidence of inconsistency? Do you mean in terms of the quality or the storytelling? I find the quality on par with most of the rest, though obviously the story is somewhat disconnected for certain reasons. The only season I thought was below the rest in terms of quality was 5, but it's more connected to the other season in terms of story.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

1. The Wire
                2. The Sopranos
                3. Dexter
                4. Breaking Bad

Just watching Mad Men now so I don't know where to rank it yet.

1&2 in my list are quite a ways ahead of 3&4 but all are good.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I have a hard time ranking things like this, because ultimately the reasons for liking shows are so different, and it becomes an apples and oranges thing.

The Wire: Dickensian in its scope and success.
                  Curb Your Enthusiasm: Some of the funniest moments on TV.
                  Louie: Comedy as high art.
                  Deadwood: Shakespeare in the Dakotas.
                  The Sopranos: The Godfather of television's Renaissance.
                  The Larry Sanders Show: Curb and Louie wouldn't exist without it.
                  Friday Night Lights: About as good as serious network TV can get.
                  Freaks and Geeks: No surprise that Apatow is connected to Larry Sanders, about as good as comedic network TV can get.
                  Breaking Bad: Simply mesmerizing, both in the creative cinematography and Cranston's supreme acting.

I wouldn't know how to rank these shows, since I like them for such different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                    I had the same reaction to Klosterman. There was a podcast a while back where he said he thought BB had overtaken The Wire, because to truly appreciate The Wire it needed to be seen through a certain political lens. That was only a small part of his essay, but I do disagree with what he's saying for mostly the same reasons you listed.
                    What is the political lens he was talking about? I think my politics in general are quire opposed to David Simon's for example. But I love the show.

Comment

Why do you cite season 2 as evidence of inconsistency? Do you mean in terms of the quality or the storytelling? I find the quality on par with most of the rest, though obviously the story is somewhat disconnected for certain reasons. The only season I thought was below the rest in terms of quality was 5, but it's more connected to the other season in terms of story.
                      What I really mean is inconsistency in terms of entertaining and interesting. I was really interested in Season 4, not so interested in Season 2. I don't care if the writing was on par, the story itself just didn't interest me very much.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Define "best"? I have a very hard time ranking programs but I do have a list of solid programs.

Comedy:

Arrested Development - fantastic writing and acting
                        The League - very funny and raunchy, especially Jon LaJoie. Most of the dialogue is extemporaneous (and it has the former Miss Maine Katie Aselton and Catalina from My Name is Earl)
                        Archer - 22 of the 26 episodes have been outrageously funny, the 4 others are decent.
                        South Park - simply brilliant social commentary
                        My Name is Earl - Jason Lee, Jaime Pressley, Crab Man, Ethan Supplee, and Nadine Velasquez had potent chemistry
                        Freaks and Geeks - I just discovered this on IFC. Very funny.
                        Family Guy - until ~2007 was very funny, then it became more raunchy while simultaneously being less funny

Drama:

Sopranos - excellent, even the non-ending.
                        True Blood - Lafayette Reynolds, Sam Merlotte, and Eric Northman are three of my favorite flawed characters of all time.
                        Dexter - the 'good' guy wins
                        Rescue Me - A very dark drama with some solid comedy from Denis Leary
                        Breaking Bad - I am a very big fan of Brian Cranston from his role on Malcolm in the Middle - see the Race Walking and Roller Disco episodes. A brilliant physical actor, and the writing is excellent
                        Mad Men - first half of the first season, then it went downhill for me, I need to go back and watch more.
                        The Wire - only saw one episode (the nailgun episode), loved it.
                        Walking Dead - started solid, then uh-oh! Hopefully the second season will be strong. I love the concept.
                        Dead Like Me - interesting concept, fun stories, sort of Drama-Lite
                        The L Word - very interesting to see "the other side" of things, plus it had Kristana Lokken - Rowr!
                        Californication - fantastic! Lots of boobies and naughty language, though
                        Nip/Tuck - First 2 seasons
                        Weeds
                        Tell Me You Love Me - a very emotional HBO miniseries revolving around three otherwise unrelated clients who are clients of a single therapist. All four are in different relationship stages (dating, married, headed for divorce, etc). Lots of making sexy time, with some frontal, so be warned.

SciFi:

Battlestar Gallactica - Very solid series, strong moral conflicts, though it bogged down when it went to the internal colonial politics
                        Firefly - one of my favorite space stories, and the Western theme helped. Serenity is one of my Top 5 sci fi movies of all time.
                        Heroes - excellent first season, then it fell on its face. The writers’ strike destroyed it.

Comment

Big Love
                          Sleeper Cell
                          Dexter
                          The Wire
                          Deadwood
                          Firefly
                          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Ed.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I have mine highlighted here: http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...hlight=Firefly

On second thought, I would flip-flop Breaking Bad and Dexter. And, if we can include Freaks & Geeks (I think it ran '99-'00 no?), I would bump Dexter out of the top 5 so it looked like this:

1. The Wire - the best ever

2. Arrested Development - my favorite comedy ever

3. Friday Night Lights - just hit me in a different spot than the other shows and a set of characters i cared more about than any other show i've ever watched

4. Breaking Bad - would perhaps be higher but it has done things that have irked me more than any of my other favorite show

5. Freaks and Geeks - hadn't watched this when i did my prior list, and tough to rank this year with only one season, but just so great

Honorable Mention: Dexter - agree with Sepinwall that it can get a bit formulaic, but has provided some thrilling tv.
                              No honorable mention for little Miss Vixen, Kid Chino and The Ironist? Only slightly disappointed...

Comment

Working...
                              X