The Pac-12 participation thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
    This is a pretty big enigma. Wynn was clearly never right physically last year, but that pretty quickly morphed into not being right mentally, IMO. Sometimes the physical part is the easier part to fix.
    Somehow Brian Johnson went from being a head case with a shoulder injury to being a very effective QB.

Not sure that Wynn is capable of the same growth, but it's not like it's unprecedented...even at Utah.

Wynn should be healthier to start this season than he was in the last half of last season. He *theoretically* will be in an offense that will be better suited to his skills and to prevent him from getting injured.

The Utah fan would say these things bode well. The USC/Oregon/BYU fan would say that Wynn is hopeless.

I wouldn't be placing any money on the Utes, Wynn or Chow this year. Far too many variables. New conference, new challenges, new offense, new coaches, QB coming back from injuries, new D backfield... tons of question marks.

Plenty of reasons for Utah to be hopeful, but plenty of reasons to be skeptical, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Flattop View Post
      A nice welcome from a Stanford blog, with a list of dos and don'ts:

http://www.ruleoftree.com/2011/7/1/2...of-pac-12-utah
      But finally, for the love of all that is good and holy DO NOT treat BYU as your rival. Nothing will fast track you to conference also-ran quicker than bringing up BYU as you all have continually done this past year. Seriously, give it a rest. If they bait you, bite your lip. If they taunt you, look the other way. If they try to say they're better off than you, just roll your eyes. The worst thing that a Ute fan can do is bring up your precious "Zoobs" in any week other than the week you play the Cougars. You'll be looked down at as the kid we invited to sit at the adults' table for Thanksgiving and then proceed to make a fool of yourself for the rest of the meal. BYU is gone. Dun. Past. History. Your attention is the Pac-12. Let them deal with their ESPN-fed football schedule and WAC opponents on their own. I cannot stress to you how much this step is crucial. We did not invite them to the Pac-12, so don't bring them up incessantly.
      This merits serious consideration.

Comment

I don't know Babs. Winning is pretty fun.
        If you really believed winning was everything, you would have been content in the MWC.

Comment

Apparently our choice for new rivals is also limited to UA, ASU and CU, something about a Pac-8 rule.
          Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
          Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
          Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            The Utah fan would say these things bode well. The USC/Oregon/BYU fan would say that Wynn is hopeless.
            I've never heard an Oregon fan say anything about Jordan Wynn. He isn't really on the radar for them. He had a really nice frosh season, can he play that way again? (I will share your answer with the next group of Duck fans I come across that are discussing him!)
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
              If you really believed winning was everything, you would have been content in the MWC.
              That's true. But I think Utah is a long way from worrying about how much a win "counts" in this new conference based on how other programs are doing. I would like to see us get off to a good start so I don't care too much if other teams are down.

Comment

Apparently our choice for new rivals is also limited to UA, ASU and CU, something about a Pac-8 rule.
                I know nothing about that, but those comments had the ring of truth.

Comment

You give too much consideration to opinions you find on the internet, seriously.

Comment

That's true. But I think Utah is a long way from worrying about how much a win "counts" in this new conference based on how other programs are doing. I would like to see us get off to a good start so I don't care too much if other teams are down.
                    Nevermind. I thought Utah had won more MWC titles than they did.

Comment

The PAC10 was considered by some to be the PAC8 + 2. I imagine it will be considered by those same people to be the PAC8+4 or PAC8+2+2 or PAC8+2+1+1.

I have no doubt that Utah is regarded by many as the outsider of outsiders. CU comes over from the Big12. They were already part of the BCS club.

Utah is new and comes from a disregarded conference. I have no doubt that the U. is viewed as an outsider by some PAC12 media, admins and fans.

That's fine. The Utes seem to do best when they are the underdog. Being the underdog with access to TV and money could work well.

It will be an exciting journey. Lots of peril and lots of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                        You give too much consideration to opinions you find on the internet, seriously.
                        I live in a part of the country where a conversation about the Pac-12 is hard to come by in real life. I have no choice!

Comment

I'm down with this.

I have plenty of reasons to hate Arizona (his knee was down damnit!), and they should have a few reasons to hate us (meet Andre Miller).

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                            I'm down with this.

I have plenty of reasons to hate Arizona (his knee was down damnit!), and they should have a few reasons to hate us (meet Andre Miller).
                            Arizona is easy to dislike their water bottle chucking fans to their obnoxious coach. When the king of smug Lute Olson was there it was really easy.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              Arizona is easy to dislike their water bottle chucking fans to their obnoxious coach. When the king of smug Lute Olson was there it was really easy.
                              Another silly thing about Arizona fans is they aren't content being called Arizona fans, they had to come up with a silly nickname "Zona Zoo" to prove something. Can you imagine how insecure that comes across?
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Another silly thing about Arizona fans is they aren't content being called Arizona fans, they had to come up with a silly nickname "Zona Zoo" to prove something. Can you imagine how insecure that comes across?
                                Utes muss not know what that's like.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X