Scenarios for Utah's first Pac-12 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios for Utah's first Pac-12 season

This isn't meant to spam, but I just posted my thoughts on Utah's first Pac-12 season and what are the best-case, likely, and worst-case scenarios. We're looking for some feedback, what do y'all think? Am I close, or way off the mark?

Transition Outlook: Utah Utes

Please check it out and leave comments on our blog, and we'll share them with all our followers.

Utah should find itself as one of the stronger programs in the Pac-12.

Originally posted by theupsetblog View Post
    Utah should find itself as one of the stronger programs in the Pac-12.
    Did Utah find a non-noodle armed QB? If not, good luck playing against more-decent-than-Wyoming defenses week in and week out.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This is COUGARute forum. Please provide links to your analysis of BYU's first season as an independent. TIA.

Comment

Transition Outlook: Utah Utes

Please check it out and leave comments on our blog, and we'll share them with all our followers.
        Based on your blog it looks like you will be doing a write up on tBYU, Colorado, and BSU too.

I know that you want comments on your blog there, but I will leave them here instead. I thought that your write up was nice, but only gave mile high observations if that. There was nothing in the write up that the average fan would not already know or the uninformed fan couldn't get from dozens of other media sources.

We all know that Utah will live and die by Jordan Wynn. So give us some more detail about other spots (besides QB and RB), in-depth reasons, game by game comparisions, etc. to justify your analysis. As it stands now you could just cut and paste names and teams and your write-up would fit most teams in the PAC-12.

So a good start, but give me a reason to visit your blog over the mulitple other options out there.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

The background on your blog bugs the hell out of my eyes, especially when scrolling it up and down. (You want me to add that to your comments?)
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I haven't read your blog yet but without reading it, I'm going to guess the following about Utah's first season in the PAC 12:

Best case scenario: Utah goes undefeated and wins the PAC 12
            Worst case scenario: Utah loses every game and does not win the PAC 12.

I'm open to feedback.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              I haven't read your blog yet but without reading it, I'm going to guess the following about Utah's first season in the PAC 12:

Best case scenario: Utah goes undefeated and wins the PAC 12
              Worst case scenario: Utah loses every game and does not win the PAC 12.

I'm open to feedback.
              Likely scenario: Utah ends up in the middle the PAC and gets invited to the Las Vegas bowl only to lose to BSU again.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                Based on your blog it looks like you will be doing a write up on tBYU, Colorado, and BSU too.

I know that you want comments on your blog there, but I will leave them here instead. I thought that your write up was nice, but only gave mile high observations if that. There was nothing in the write up that the average fan would not already know or the uninformed fan couldn't get from dozens of other media sources.

We all know that Utah will live and die by Jordan Wynn. So give us some more detail about other spots (besides QB and RB), in-depth reasons, game by game comparisions, etc. to justify your analysis. As it stands now you could just cut and paste names and teams and your write-up would fit most teams in the PAC-12.

So a good start, but give me a reason to visit your blog over the mulitple other options out there.
                One bit of original info he could talk in depth about is the heated rivalry between Colorado and Utah. No media outlet has picked up on that angle for some reason.

He could name the rivalry whatever he wants because no one seems to be in a hurry to do it otherwise. I don't want to repeat myself again, but the Bloodsport Battle sounds pretty good (okay, it sounds shitty but I can't think of anything that works with Kumite). Years from now when Utah stops being a mainstay on VS and moves on to the greener pastures of FSN Palmdale, people will forget that the real origin of the name was the coinciding of the rivalry game with VS's monthly Bloodsport marathon in November.
                Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

@Sullyute -- We will be doing in-depth team previews in the next couple months that would have more game-specific analysis, players to watch, etc.

If you found the post too general, our apologies. We have readers from all teams in the MWC, WAC, Pac 12, and around the country. Many of them don't know a lot of the off-the-field information. I was just trying to give my view on the best Utah could possibly expect from this season, what I think will likely happen, and if the bottom falls out, how far the fall is. Haven't posted it yet, but I have Colorado's worst-case scenario at 2-10, while Utah's is at 5-7. So it's not a plan to cut-paste.

I was hoping for discussion on where people think Utah's ceiling is this year, what are reasonable expectations, etc ....

@Coach McGuirk - as the Utah article says, it is the first in the series of examining the four western teams who are changing conference affiliation. Boise State, BYU, and Colorado are forthcoming.

Comment

Also, part of the purpose is to "introduce" each team to it's new conference, in a way. Many fans of Pac-12 teams may only have a cursory knowledge of Utah football. So the review of what Utah did in the MWC, bowl record, etc. combines with the off-the-field implications of the conference move to help a reader only somewhat familiar with Utah's program ("I know they beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. That's about it though.") get a better feel for who Utah is.

And, as I explained, the rest is meant as my thoughts on Utah's ceiling, etc, hoping to hear other opinions on how Utah will do.

Comment

@Coach McGuirk - as the Utah article says, it is the first in the series of examining the four western teams who are changing conference affiliation. Boise State, BYU, and Colorado are forthcoming.
                      I look forward to the BYU preview, esp your top 3 teams that BYU is most likely to face in the BCS National Championship game.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        I look forward to the BYU preview, esp your top 3 teams that BYU is most likely to face in the BCS National Championship game.
                        I lol'd when I read this and my 9-year old said "What is so funny?" I told her it had to Dow with football and she kept pressing me, so I explained it. She said (in her most sassy voice). "it's amazing what you think is funny, dad." Haha. I guess she thinks the Cougs have the goods to go all the way.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Interesting. I think it is going to be a transition year for the Utes, but the idea of having a very middle of the road season with an 8-4 record and STILL playing in the title game amps me up about this new conference.

Comment

By the way, this is almost exactly what I think (I'm thinking a 10-15 year view):

Even if the worst-case scenario were to play out, I don't think Utah would be down for long. Utah is likely to hover around 8-4 or 9-3 and shake up the conference by taking down a USC or Oregon on occasion and claim a 10-win season. I think that Utah will compete for the South division title with regularity--if not immediately, soon enough. Nobody else in the division has any consistency or regular success, so that leaves Utah and USC. Unless Arizona State stops under-performing and under-recruiting (read: fires Dennis Erickson), Utah should sit right along the line that divides the upper-third and middle-third in the conference, and win its share of division titles--and even a few Rose Bowl berths along the way.

Comment

This is the kind of irreverent, merciless heckling I like to see. Well done, guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X