What's your New-Thread score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your New-Thread score?

How lazy are you? How cocky are you? How low is your self-esteem? How oblivious are you? How conceited are you? How defiant are you? How terrible are your search/query skills? How much do you just not give a damn? How interested in discussing a new or previously-untapped topic are you?

Any of those questions (and more) could serve as the title to this thread, as the questions posed refer to some of the reasons people start a new thread on CUF (or any message board, really). Many of these threads are started when an already existing thread on the same or similar topic would perfectly suffice.

As I mentioned last week in a thread before it got overtaken by poorly-quoted "Major League" lines, it was my suspicion that oxcoug starts an inordinate number of new threads. Today when he hopped on the board and promptly started two new threads, I decided to do the math. At the time of my calculations, oxcoug's "new-thread score" was 16.67--a simple number derived by dividing his total threads by his total posts and then moving the decimal to the right two places. In other words, nearly 17% of oxcoug's posts constitute the birth of a new thread.

My other suspicion was that FMCoug was "a distant second". I was right. FM's NTS is 11.66. Quite a ways behind oxcoug, but quite a bit ahead of most others. I spent about 10 minutes crunching the numbers from some of our more prominent posters, and I wasn't able to produce a single poster over 4. From the 10 or 15 I calculated, nikuman came the closest at 3.64. Jeff Lebowski rolled in at 2.43. Most posters score between 1 and 2.

I think it would be interesting to study the sociological reasons why people start (or don't start) new threads. If anybody want to pony up a million bucks, I'll get right to work. If not, let's just do some calculating on our own.

So I ask you, what's your New-Thread Score? Does anybody with over , say, 500 posts have a higher NTS? Who with at least 500 posts has the lowest NTS?

My NTS: 1.57

(NOTE: oxcoug and FM, please don't take this thread the wrong way. I'm not saying that starting a new thread is right or wrong. The way you post is part of who you are on the board, and I'm not in anyway suggesting you change the way you post or the frequency with which you start new threads).
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

how are you supposed to know how many new threads you've started? The search feature cuts off at 500.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      how are you supposed to know how many new threads you've started? The search feature cuts off at 500.
      humblebrag
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I am interested in DDD's NTS. I am guessing it is quite low - near zero - reinforcing the notion that he is an unoriginal gadfly.

I would also like to see SU's NTS in The Foyer only.

And did you check grapevine? I bet he's closer to FM than he is to me.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          I am interested in DDD's NTS. I am guessing it is quite low - near zero - reinforcing the notion that he is an unoriginal gadfly.

I would also like to see SU's NTS in The Foyer only.

Who would win the foyer NTS? SU or scottie?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

How do I quickly find how many threads I have started?

Comment

Wow, grape's NTS is 52.19!

Edit: Never mind, its 42.83. Still, that's got to be the highest by far.
              Last edited by falafel; 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                How do I quickly find how many threads I have started?
                Go to advanced search, type in your name, and change it from "posts by user" to "threads started by user" or whatever.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Boom bitches! I'm at 4.6.

Comment

Keep your hands off my NTS, sicko.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Donut, you seem to have a lot of energy about this thread starting thing. Maybe people are just used to CB or other boards that move faster and get in the habit of starting threads.

Comment

Mine is 1.58.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I discovered the same problem while examing my NTS. Speaks to the importance of pre-screening, I suppose.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Who would win the foyer NTS? SU or scottie?
                            scottie has more threads in the foyer (104 to SU's 89), but its hard to tell how many posts they each have in the foyer. It only shows 500, and I'm sure they both have more than that.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If I were LALAUte I'd get all high and mighty and post about how that's the type of question he would expect a law clerk to ask him, before waxing long about how part of being an attorney is figuring out different ways to approach a problem, blah blah blah. I'm not LALAUte, so I'll just say that you can use the search limitation features and a little simple addition to get what you're looking for.

On an unrelated note, wuap's NTS is 4.43.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Donut, you seem to have a lot of energy about this thread starting thing. Maybe people are just used to CB or other boards that move faster and get in the habit of starting threads.
                              So what you're saying is that it would be an interesting socialogical experiment to study those who are obsessed with the ratio of new threads to total posts? I agree.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X