Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Shave?

Update: I shaved the old-school safety razor way, with Proraso cream and the badger brush, for over a full year until I had worked through all my blades. I then reverted back to my Gillette Mach 3 and Barbasol shave cream from a can. The old-school way simply didn't add enough value to be worth the time/hassle.

The only thing I kept is the brush which I use to brush on the shave cream from the can. Oh yeah, I also kept using the Clubman aftershave. I like the way it smells and my wife does to.

I do Dollar Shave Club - 4 blades (triple) every two months. I use Kirk's Castile soap as my lube.

https://kirkssoap.com/

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I do Dollar Shave Club - 4 blades (triple) every two months. I use Kirk's Castile soap as my lube.

https://kirkssoap.com/
    I'm not sure that I want to hear about my imaginary CS friends' preferred lubricants.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I'm not sure that I want to hear about my imaginary CS friends' preferred lubricants.
    astroglide

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Update: I shaved the old-school safety razor way, with Proraso cream and the badger brush, for over a full year until I had worked through all my blades. I then reverted back to my Gillette Mach 3 and Barbasol shave cream from a can. The old-school way simply didn't add enough value to be worth the time/hassle.

The only thing I kept is the brush which I use to brush on the shave cream from the can. Oh yeah, I also kept using the Clubman aftershave. I like the way it smells and my wife does to.
    Is a safety razor any slower than the Mach 3?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Is a safety razor any slower than the Mach 3?
    For me, yes. I usually had to do a two-pass shave with a safety razor to get what I felt was equivalent to the Mach 3 shave. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    For me, yes. I usually had to do a two-pass shave with a safety razor to get what I felt was equivalent to the Mach 3 shave. Your mileage may vary.
    Surprised you didn't have to do a three-pass to equal the number of Mach 3 blades.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I order cartridges from Dorco. Super cheap, there's always a discount code. I use the C.O. Bigelow cream from Bath and Body Works. It's Proraso. When I'm in a hurry I use my Braun 7 series. I don't have much to shave. Asian genetics are strong.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Give me your address... I'll send you a bar.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Eight drops of Shave Secret Oil ($5 at Walmart)
    Harry's Shave Gel (available at Walmart/Target)
    Double Edge Safety razor with Astra Superior Platinum Blades

I ditched the old school cream and brush...it just takes too much time.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

Maybe an admin will merge the other thread into this thread?

This thread could have a broader discussion.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

I know I am getting old because my eyebrows are getting bigger and out of control. How am I to manage these caterpillars?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    Maybe an admin will merge the other thread into this thread?

This thread could have a broader discussion.
    Done. But the other way around.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Eight drops of Shave Secret Oil ($5 at Walmart)
    Harry's Shave Gel (available at Walmart/Target)
    Double Edge Safety razor with Astra Superior Platinum Blades

I ditched the old school cream and brush...it just takes too much time.
    What about the cream and brush takes too much time? Seems like the safety razor would be your major time killer in that line up.

Also, I hate shave gel. So hard to get it to lather up. You have to waste a ton of it just to get good coverage. That is, until I used some in my old school bowl and brush. Lathered right up and used a lot less of the gel to get there. Still don't like the gel, though.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I know I am getting old because my eyebrows are getting bigger and out of control. How am I to manage these caterpillars?
    My Wahl trimmers came with an eyebrow attachment. Works well.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    My Wahl trimmers came with an eyebrow attachment. Works well.
    Thanks, I'll see if mine have that.

I use a combo of that old school shaving paste that smells bad that they use in barbershops and a Mach 3. Works like a charm!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What about the cream and brush takes too much time? Seems like the safety razor would be your major time killer in that line up.

Also, I hate shave gel. So hard to get it to lather up. You have to waste a ton of it just to get good coverage. That is, until I used some in my old school bowl and brush. Lathered right up and used a lot less of the gel to get there. Still don't like the gel, though.
    If you know what you are doing, a double edged safety razor doesn't really take much time and certainly not a lot more time than a cartridge razor.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I use a combo of that old school shaving paste that smells bad that they use in barbershops and a Mach 3. Works like a charm!
    How does your significant other feel about your choice of shaving paste?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

How does your significant other feel about your choice of shaving paste?
    No idea. The smell doesn't seem to really linger. You know the stuff I'm talking about? Proraso or something?
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    No idea. The smell doesn't seem to really linger. You know the stuff I'm talking about? Proraso or something?
    I don't know it. I haven't put a blade to my chin in many moons.
    - Goatnapper'96

This stuff is strong, but it works like a charm.

Mach 5 from Costco. Expensive, but they work great and I am too lazy to find an alternative.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Mach 5 from Costco. Expensive, but they work great and I am too lazy to find an alternative.
    And too rich, apparently!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

And too rich, apparently!
    I am sure all the welders use these!

Default How Do You Shave?

Same. Really canít get behind the weirdos trying to make shaving into some kind of religious experience.

Safety razor (not straight razor). It's roughly the same as the multi-blade Gillette stuff.

I'm with you on gels. Give Harry's a try as a backup. It really lathers up. Good stuff.

I miss the sideburn trimmer on the Mach 5, but the blades are about 8x more than what I pay now.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I miss the sideburn trimmer on the Mach 5, but the blades are about 8x more than what I pay now.
    I can make those babies last a long time.

I can make those babies last a long time.
    I spent $12 on 100 blades and they lasted me 3 years.