Too big to fail on HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too big to fail on HBO

Anyone else watched this? Its excellent, and if even half true, chilling. Also Paul Giamotti is a dead ringer for Ben Bernanke and William Hurt does Hank Paulson quite well too.
    The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

I watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it, even though it brought back the very deep dread and sense of foreboding I had in the fall of 2008. I was surprised by the number of great actors (and some fine performances) in the movie. I enjoyed this more than Inside Job, which was also good. From the couple of books and many articles I've read about the events, I think HBO did a nice job with this.

One minor line I enjoyed: at the worst stage of the meltdown, a couple of key players are walking in for a summit meeting, and one of them says something like: "I don't think I can take much more of this." The other responds: "Come on, you just got out of a Mercedes and you're walking into the Federal Reserve; it's not like you climbed out of a Higgins Boat on Omaha Beach."

Comment

I saw some of it while in a hotel last week. Looked good. Does it just tell the story or does it take sides?
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        I saw some of it while in a hotel last week. Looked good. Does it just tell the story or does it take sides?
        It wasn't as argumentative as, say, Inside Job. In fact, Hank Paulson (well played by William Hurt) and Ben Bernanke (Paul Giamatti), come off rather sympathetically. The film only touches on the root causes of the mess (lax lending practices, easy Fed money, nonexistent regulation, the CDO/derivative mess, etc.), and focuses more on "Okay, we've got a mess on our hands. We can talk later about how we got here, but unless we act now, we're going to have a financial collapse far worse than the Great Depression."

James Woods' Paul Fuld (Lehman's head) is a total jerk, though.

Comment

Working...
        X