Honor Code Office Makes the News Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
    The BYU-I Honor Code Office is pleased to announce the publishing of their newest book: "You are Different, and That's Bad."
    ha.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.out...-surgery%3famp
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• A story based on what MIGHT happen IF a bishop decided to revoke his ecceliastical endorsement IF the person decides to remove their breasts.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            A story based on what MIGHT happen IF a bishop decided to revoke his ecceliastical endorsement IF the person decides to remove their breasts.
            What do you mean what might happen, the Bishop made it very clear what he intended to do if he went forward with the surgery.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              What do you mean what might happen, the Bishop made it very clear what he intended to do if he they went forward with the surgery.
              FIFY

I admittedly don't understand trans issues, but if you're a year away, either keep it status quo on the top side until you graduate or don't tell anyone about the surgery.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                FIFY

I admittedly don't understand trans issues, but if you're a year away, either keep it status quo on the top side until you graduate or don't tell anyone about the surgery.
                I agree that is the smart thing to do. This highlights that the claims that LGBTQ aren't discriminated against by BYU are absurd.

Also, you are correct with pointing that I used the wrong pronouns and should have been more careful with that.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I agree that is the smart thing to do. This highlights that the claims that LGBTQ aren't discriminated against by BYU are absurd.

Also, you are correct with pointing that I used the wrong pronouns and should have been more careful with that.
                  If I understand it correctly, it is the bishop who is threatening to revoke his endorsement. BYU isn't doing anything.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What do you mean what might happen, the Bishop made it very clear what he intended to do if he went forward with the surgery.
                    Which he hasn't done yet. Have you followed through with every single thing you've ever proclaimed you were going to do?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BYU isn't doing anything.
                      Well, since they require the endorsement as a condition of enrollment.....
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

If I understand it correctly, it is the bishop who is threatening to revoke his endorsement. BYU isn't doing anything.
                        Do you think for a minute that they disagree with the decision of the Bishop or that BYU would go to bat for them if he did pull the endorsement?

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Which he hasn't done yet. Have you followed through with every single thing you've ever proclaimed you were going to do?
                        So, best case scenario the Bishop is a bigoted asshole that is using something that they have decided to do to force his will on them.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Do you think for a minute that they disagree with the decision of the Bishop or that BYU would go to bat for them if he did pull the endorsement?
                          No, they would let it stand. BYU/HCO and bishops work in different spheres. BYU leaves the EE process entirely to bishops. And they also tell bishops that decisions by BYU on admissions/expulsions do not involve bishops and are entirely at the discretion of BYU.

This is a very good thing, IMO, because in the vast majority of cases bishops give students lots of leeway in terms of EE and those decisions don't involve the HCO.

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                          So, best case scenario the Bishop is a bigoted asshole that is using something that they have decided to do to force his will on them.
                          Yeah, it couldn't possibly be anything else.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            No, they would let it stand. BYU/HCO and bishops work in different spheres. BYU leaves the EE process entirely to bishops. And they also tell bishops that decisions by BYU on admissions/expulsions do not involve bishops and are entirely at the discretion of BYU.

This is a very good thing, IMO, because in the vast majority of cases bishops give students lots of leeway in terms of EE and those decisions don't involve the HCO
                            flip side of this is there’s zero check on rogue or asshole bishops operating outside the scope of their authority.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              Well, since they require the endorsement as a condition of enrollment.....
                              There is a link, but not causation.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                flip side of this is there’s zero check on rogue or asshole bishops operating outside the scope of their authority.
                                Outside the scope of their authority? What do you mean? It is exclusively their authority.

I can tell you from experience that what you read about some of these cases in the media is only a small part of the actual story. Bishops are bound to confidentiality, but the students are not.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X