X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wuap's pickle recipe

Recipe

Mac's Garlic Dill Pickle Recipe

10-12 lbs of ice cold pickling cucumbers (regular ones don't work--too much water content), if you can't keep them in the fridge overnight, then let them soak in a tub with plenty of ice for 2 hours before pickling. This is essential to having crispy crunchy pickles.

12 cups water
    4 cups white vinegar
    4 teaspoons dill seed
    2 teaspoons dill weed
    24 cloves peeled garlic (powder or minced won't do)
    2/3 cup pickling salt
    8 wide-mouth quart canning jars (16 wide-mouth pint jars)

Mix water, vinegar, and salt (brine mixture) in a non-reactive pan and set to boil.

Get another pot going as a canning bath so that the water will cover the jars by at least 3/4". I'd recommend buying a quart canner pot if you don't own one. They are cheap at walmart (an enamel one will last for decades) < $25.

Slice the garlic cloves in half. In the bottom of each jar, place 3 garlic halves and 1/2 tsp dill SEED. Slice cucumbers into spears and pack into jars. Once packed, place three more garlic halves and 1/4 tsp dill WEED in the top.

Make sure the water in the canner is boiling, and with brine at a rapid boil, remove from heat and ladle into jars. Immediately top with lids and rings, and place into canner. Boil for exactly 15 minutes. Remove immediately from heat and place onto a clean towel on the counter to let cool for 4-8 hours.

Let pickles mellow for three weeks. Chill 24 hours before cracking open each jar, enjoy, and then then come back and tell everyone how awesome my pickles are.

2011 Batch #1

Hey, Garrapatas, please note the edits I made to the recipe about making sure the cucumbers are ice cold before pickling them.

I got about 36 quarts this time. I hope to finish the summer with 100 quarts.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

How many pickles does one man need? Sheesh!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      How many pickles does one man need? Sheesh!
      Starting South Beach again when I get back from Costa Rica. Pickles are essentially a perfect food on that plan, though I do have to sweat a lot and drink plenty of water so it doesn't monkey with my bp.

I also give away about 20-25 of them as gifts to people. If they bring me back the empty jar, they get another one next year.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Starting South Beach again when I get back from Costa Rica. Pickles are essentially a perfect food on that plan, though I do have to sweat a lot and drink plenty of water so it doesn't monkey with my bp.

I also give away about 20-25 of them as gifts to people. If they bring me back the empty jar, they get another one next year.
        How much for just one rib?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

They've been pickling for a few weeks now. They are, simply put, amazing. I've eaten a quart tonight by myself.

Comment

They've been pickling for a few weeks now. They are, simply put, amazing. I've eaten a quart tonight by myself.
            Are you eating the jar with your burned skin in it?
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              Are you eating the jar with your burned skin in it?
              That was a pot handle, not a jar. Weird thing is, the burned part of my fingers looks much younger and healthier than the surrounding skin.

Comment

are there any other pickle-haters on the board? seems like MW was a kindred spirit. I won't even eat anything that's come in contact with a pickle.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  are there any other pickle-haters on the board? seems like MW was a kindred spirit. I won't even eat anything that's come in contact with a pickle.
                  Is it pickled cucumbers you don't care for or vinegary food in general?

Comment

You're shameless.

Comment

You're shameless.
                      If it's good enough for Garth and Billy, it's good enough for me.

Comment

Thanks, I might try this.

I love pickles. I get in the habit of eating the same thing every day for a while. My lunch lately has been tuna sandwich. Whole can of tuna, little mayo, one piece of bread to make half sandwich, several pickles on the side both dill and sweet. I take a bit of sandwich, bite of dill, and bite of sweet pickle together.

Comment

Exactly. Pickles are good for giving taste to food with no taste. Zero calories and they don't fill you up at all, but you can trick your mind if you have a full plate.

Comment

I love pickles and used to eat a couple a day. Then one day I looked at the sodium content, and it scared the hell out of me.
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Too easy.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X