Is Huntsman still a Mormon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
    I'd like to announce that I resisted the temptation to start a parallel thread with the title: "Is Huntsman still a Moron?"

I am, however, willing to accept congratulations for the clever title.
    Witty.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      This is a smart move if he wants to avoid being a General Authority like his father. And I think he's being honest. If Romney were being honest he would say the same thing, as would a huge percentage of well-educated Mormons.

They're proud of some of the great things Mormons have done, proud of the common sense principles in which Mormons believe, proud of the work ethic and the family-oriented nature of the religion.

But they are ashamed of the insular side of Mormonism, the fanaticism, the close-mindedness, the polygamy, the racism, the homophobia. I could go on. Deep down they are most decidedly not "all in" regarding Mormonism's history or even what the Church is today.

Sorry, just being honest.
      Interesting, I didn't know you were the spokesman for prominent, successful Mormons. Do you actually know what you're talking about or are you just projecting?
      "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
        SeattleUte, how'd you figure out how to hack other people's accounts?
        The main difference between progressive Mormons and me is serendipity.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
          Interesting, I didn't know you were the spokesman for prominent, successful Mormons. Do you actually know what you're talking about or are you just projecting?
          We are definitely part of the Mormon aristocracy. (I have posted about this many times. Cardiac just doesn't advertise it as much as I do.)
          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
            We are definitely part of the Mormon aristocracy. (I have posted about this many times. Cardiac just doesn't advertise it as much as I do.)
            How do you define Mormon aristocracy?

Comment

I didn't say prominent or successful. I said well-educated. Those things often don't go together. I don't know what the percentage of "closet apostates" is, but it has to be substantial.

It's hard for me to imagine that a well-educated person can honestly in his heart believe that Reformed Egyptian, for example, is a real language. Or that the facsimiles have something to do with Abraham.

That is why I have to assume that a huge percentage of well-educated Mormons don't really buy in to the founding myths of Mormonism. It seems like many well-educated Mormons must have other reasons for staying in the Church, just like well-educated people in other religions.

That doesn't make Mormonism worse or even different from any other religion, by the way. All abstract theology is mythical.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                So this "Mormon Aristocracy" that runs the church isn't all in? I find a sweeping generalization like that hard to believe.

I know a few of these aristocracy types. Aside from the fact that many are pompous assholes who view themselves as superior the us non-Federal Heights / Harvard Yale Mormons, they seemed pretty mullah-ish to me. But I guess it's all a game, a charade they put on for the unwashed masses...do as I say, not as I do?

Come to think of it, my BIL's soon to be ex-FIL is a bishop in Harvard Yale. They go out to eat at Red Lobster every Sunday, so maybe you're on to something.
                "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  I didn't say prominent or successful. I said well-educated. Those things often don't go together. I don't know what the percentage of "closet apostates" is, but it has to be substantial.

It's hard for me to imagine that a well-educated person can honestly in his heart believe that Reformed Egyptian, for example, is a real language. Or that the facsimiles have something to do with Abraham.

That is why I have to assume that a huge percentage of well-educated Mormons don't really buy in to the founding myths of Mormonism. It seems like many well-educated Mormons must have other reasons for staying in the Church, just like well-educated people in other religions.

That doesn't make Mormonism worse or even different from any other religion, by the way. All abstract theology is mythical.
                  Okay, thanks for the clarification. But by your admission, you're assuming, and I still think you're projecting a bit.

You don't buy it, which I have zero problem with, but I don't think you can assume that just because you're smart and well educated and you don't buy into the 'fanaticism and mythology' that others like you can't possibly buy it either. Many people really feel like they "know" even if logic and reason tell them otherwise. Faith is funny like that.
                  "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Come to think of it, my BIL's soon to be ex-FIL is a bishop in Harvard Yale. They go out to eat at Red Lobster every Sunday, so maybe you're on to something.
                    I assume the part of this you find troublesome is eating at Red Lobster, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                      I assume the part of this you find troublesome is eating at Red Lobster, correct?
                      Of course. Dude's a doctor...throw in some Red/Blue Iguana or Market Street for cryin' out loud.
                      "Remember to double tap"

Comment

So this "Mormon Aristocracy" that runs the church isn't all in? I find a sweeping generalization like that hard to believe.

I know a few of these aristocracy types. Aside from the fact that many are pompous assholes who view themselves as superior the us non-Federal Heights / Harvard Yale Mormons, they seemed pretty mullah-ish to me. But I guess it's all a game, a charade they put on for the unwashed masses...do as I say, not as I do?

Dude, if he can afford to live in Harvard Yale why is he eating at Red Lobster?
                        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the clarification. But by your admission, you're assuming, and I still think you're projecting a bit.

You don't buy it, which I have zero problem with, but I don't think you can assume that just because you're smart and well educated and you don't buy into the 'fanaticism and mythology' that others like you can't possibly buy it either. Many people really feel like they "know" even if logic and reason tell them otherwise. Faith is funny like that.
                          Sure, I am making some assumptions and projecting. Agreed.

Comment

It's not only hard to believe it's simply not true. The problem is Sooner and Cardiac are insecure. For all their supposed "education" they are surprisingly unenlightened.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                              It's not only hard to believe it's simply not true. The problem is Sooner and Cardiac are insecure. For all their supposed "education" they are surprisingly unenlightened.

When all else fails just make an ad hominem attack with no basis in reality. Now that is intelligent and enlightened.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                                Dude, if he can afford to live in Harvard Yale why is he eating at Red Lobster?
                                Their biscuits are so damn delicious, and that's a fact.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X