Women giving blessings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camleish View Post
    the language of the ceremony certainly seemed to imply that to me (as an admittedly new temple-goer). also, is the mp or ap invoked in initiatory ordinances performed by women?
    Huh. An obvious question but I haven't asked it yet.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      Huh. An obvious question but I haven't asked it yet.
      I don't believe so, but I believe there is a laying on of hands.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        That's what I thought. Until I asked her, and she willingly joined.
        Talked with Mrs. RS last night about it and she said, "we're clearly not supposed to because no one does it anymore."

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          http://mormonstories.org/podcast/Mor...AGiftGiven.mp3

Some might argue that the women were taking it upon themselves to do these blessings. However, even if they did they had the full support of early church prophets. It seems it really started to die out in the early 1900s, which is when women starting asking if it was okay. I learned early on in life to never ask someone in authority in the church if something is okay because it usually is....unless you ask first.
          I read faster than I can listen. This is the article related to Molière's link.

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/115-6-30-43.pdf
          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
            Talked with Mrs. RS last night about it and she said, "we're clearly not supposed to because no one does it anymore."
            A good response to such a strong logical argument is:

"The church produced the movie Legacy where Eliza laid her hands upon and healed an ox. The church is clearly encouraging women to be more involved in blessing the sick."

Comment

This seems like it would be pertinent to this discussion.

http://agitatingfaithfully.org/about-us

Has this website been discussed on this site?

Comment

Too many BRM hardliners. There was a movement in the Church to define what was acceptable and what was not rather than allowing people to think for themselves and follow the Spirit. Being spoon fed is easy, but has it's drawbacks. Those in authority also may get a buzz from laying down the law, who doesn't like to be a source of enlightenment and wisdom for the masses?

There is certainly plenty of historical precedent for women giving blessings, but I'll bet you that Elder Bednar would let his daughters get a 2nd ear piercing before it happened nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  I'll raise you one more. D. Michael Quinn asserts (with quotes from BY to back him up that I find persuasive to the extent I find anything from BY persuasive) that women are given the MP as part of the endowment already. He then remarks it is of little practical importance as they are not ordained to any office therein.

I'll see if I can find chapter and verse from Origins of Power when I get home.
                  Well they are dressed in garment of the priesthood. My thoughts are that they have the priesthood they just arent designated to an office (elder, high priest etc...)
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

about 6 years ago I went with my wife to visit Utah and my uncle who has put together large amounts of family history gave us my father's side family history. As we were driving places my wife would read out load the history. There were many accounts of women giving blessings as late as the 40s.
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                      about 6 years ago I went with my wife to visit Utah and my uncle who has put together large amounts of family history gave us my father's side family history. As we were driving places my wife would read out load the history. There were many accounts of women giving blessings as late as the 40s.
                      May I ask the general location of your family? It seems to me that this would be more common in rural, southern Utah than along the Wasatch front.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        May I ask the general location of your family? It seems to me that this would be more common in rural, southern Utah than along the Wasatch front.
                        My great great grandfather homesteaded in the uintah basin. My grandfather moved from Vernal to Salt Lake a little after my father was born. My dad is 70.

Comment

I wouldn't have much faith in a blessing given to me by a woman.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                            My great great grandfather homesteaded in the uintah basin. My grandfather moved from Vernal to Salt Lake a little after my father was born. My dad is 70.
                            my theory holds. I'll count eastern UT the same as southern UT.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by TTCoug View Post
                              Too many BRM hardliners. There was a movement in the Church to define what was acceptable and what was not rather than allowing people to think for themselves and follow the Spirit. Being spoon fed is easy, but has it's drawbacks. Those in authority also may get a buzz from laying down the law, who doesn't like to be a source of enlightenment and wisdom for the masses?

There is certainly plenty of historical precedent for women giving blessings, but I'll bet you that Elder Bednar would let his daughters get a 2nd ear piercing before it happened nowadays.
                              That would be miraculous. Particularly since Bednar doesn't have daughters (that we know about! SNAP!).

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                                That would be miraculous. Particularly since Bednar doesn't have daughters (that we know about! SNAP!).
                                Son, whatever.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X