No announcement yet.

The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We seem to have a contingency of folks here that have resided in (or just outside?) the District. Add me to that list!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• School was canceled for my son here in C-bus. He was jumping for joy. My wife was not as pleased...

I made it to work on time and did my normal 1 mile walk across one of the main bridges.. Was surprised to hear they canceled school..

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        We seem to have a contingency of folks here that have resided in (or just outside?) the District. Add me to that list!
        Me too!
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

We seem to have a contingency of folks here that have resided in (or just outside?) the District. Add me to that list!
          I was there during snowmageddon (stupid name, but that is what everyone calls the event). I was clerking at the time and got a free week off of work. I guess I should thank the rest of you tax payers for the free vacay. Thanks guys.

Comment

I should start a thread where I post pics of things that will make all you ex-DCers jealous. For instance, I could post snapshots of the monuments, interns in ill-fitting suits, and random DC celebrities (David Brooks! Gasp!).

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
              I should start a thread where I post pics of things that will make all you ex-DCers jealous. For instance, I could post snapshots of the monuments, interns in ill-fitting suits, and random DC celebrities (David Brooks! Gasp!).
              Don't forget a pic of a local "Checker's" (crazy good food!) or a shot of all the food trucks in Farragut Square at lunch. Also, the nuclear bomb tent people across from the white house always get me waxing nostalgic.

sigpic

Comment

Don't forget a pic of a local "Checker's" (crazy good food!) or a shot of all the food trucks in Farragut Square at lunch. Also, the nuclear bomb tent people across from the white house always get me waxing nostalgic.
                Nuclear bomb tent and nuclear bomb dreadlock lady are a must.

Checker's? That's not a DC thing. Are you sure you lived here?

Comment

• With this storm I am now persuaded global warming is a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    With this storm I am now persuaded global warming is a fact.
                    John Oliver salutes you!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      John Oliver salutes you!

Oliver's comment is amusing but, of course, misses the point. Policies are set based on what people believe, not on what the facts actually are. So, to answer his scatological question, only people who actually want to do something about climate change should care what the public's opinion is on the subject.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Oliver's comment is amusing but, of course, misses the point. Policies are set based on what people believe, not on what the facts actually are. So, to answer his scatological question, only people who actually want to do something about climate change should care what the public's opinion is on the subject.
                        That willful ignorance is precisely what he is skewering. He is engaging in sarcasm. That is what ... you know ... comedians do.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          Nuclear bomb tent and nuclear bomb dreadlock lady are a must.

Checker's? That's not a DC thing. Are you sure you lived here?
                          Apparently you need to spend a little more time out by the Arboretum.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            That willful ignorance is precisely what he is skewering. He is engaging in sarcasm. That is what ... you know ... comedians do.
                            Right. Like I said. It was amusing. But also sort of dumb. Because the sarcasm misses the point. Whether it is willful ignorance or not the public attitude is very important to policy makers. He was not skewering the fact of the ignorance and whether it was willful. He was waxing hyperbolic that anyone cares about public attitudes.

The reason I mention it is because I think the smug attitude at the base of his comment is one of the key problems we face on this issue. Public attitudes do matter. Being disdainful of anyone who disagrees isn't helpful, it only tends to entrench the disbelievers. If his comment was focused on why those opinions are wrong rather than ridiculing those who would listen to them he might be both amusing and helpful.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Right. Like I said. It was amusing. But also sort of dumb. Because the sarcasm misses the point. Whether it is willful ignorance or not the public attitude is very important to policy makers. He was not skewering the fact of the ignorance and whether it was willful. He was waxing hyperbolic that anyone cares about public attitudes.

The reason I mention it is because I think the smug attitude at the base of his comment is one of the key problems we face on this issue. Public attitudes do matter. Being disdainful of anyone who disagrees isn't helpful, it only tends to entrench the disbelievers. If his comment was focused on why those opinions are wrong rather than ridiculing those who would listen to them he might be both amusing and helpful.
                              Do you think that a lot of Americans, especially those who vote for democrats may buy into the elite are smarter than the rest of us and should tell us how to live?

I wonder sometimes because Hollywood, acadamia, the media don't seem to try and hide it much anymore. It being they are much smarter than the rest of us.

Comment

As usual, you are taking this too seriously. I think his primary objective is to discuss current issues in an entertaining fashion.

http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/...ral-video.html

John Oliver explained to Inquiring Minds why he found media false balance in climate reporting worthy of mockery.

"The stridency, and the intense comfort with a lack of scientific information, is ludicrous—it's objectively ludicrous. So I'm attracted to going to wherever the biggest hypocrisy is, and there feels like there's some good mining to be done regarding environmental issues…This world will be a complete ball of fire before it stops being funny."

Comment

Working...
                                X