The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Sounds like we might have a little rain on Thursday...

Thanks for the heads up, Frank.
    Someone with talent should put the Rush song YYZ in the background.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Sounds like we might have a little rain on Thursday...

Thanks for the heads up, Frank.
      30 millimeters!
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        30 millimeters!
        The Canuck was right. We got at least 30 millimeters of rain so far today. I may need to get my rain boots on and order some pizza.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The Canuck was right. We got at least 30 millimeters of rain so far today. I may need to get my rain boots on and order some pizza.
          Just overheard that there was a possible tornado on the ground near your fair city. I'm in the building stariwell at work waiting for the all clear. Radar indicates that it's is headed toward my fair city. Gives me time to think more about that storm shelter or safe room that's lacking in my house. Also makes me wonder why my building has crappy WiFi - which is ironic (may need a ruling about correct use) for a large telecommunications provider (but to be fair, they don't own the building). Hope your safe and the tornado was a rumor (didn't seem to be a tornado from the internet radar - at least from what I could interpet).
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
            Just overheard that there was a possible tornado on the ground near your fair city. I'm in the building stariwell at work waiting for the all clear. Radar indicates that it's is headed toward my fair city. Gives me time to think more about that storm shelter or safe room that's lacking in my house. Also makes me wonder why my building has crappy WiFi - which is ironic (may need a ruling about correct use) for a large telecommunications provider (but to be fair, they don't own the building). Hope your safe and the tornado was a rumor (didn't seem to be a tornado from the internet radar - at least from what I could interpet).

We are safe so far. The following is not too far away from where we live:

IMG_2930.jpg

The tree was picked up and put down this and two other cars. No one hurt, however.

Edit: Now they are saying on the news we could have 8" of rain. That is a bit more that what Frank was telling us.
            Last edited by Uncle Ted; 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• First "seek shelter now" tornado warning I've experienced here in 7 years. Phones and home security systems started going berserk about 7 am, tornado warning until 7:30. Looking at the radar, the center of the tornadic storm threat (no tornado was actually produced) was a literal stone's throw from my front door. That was a fun way to spend a morning.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                First "seek shelter now" tornado warning I've experienced here in 7 years. Phones and home security systems started going berserk about 7 am, tornado warning until 7:30. Looking at the radar, the center of the tornadic storm threat (no tornado was actually produced) was a literal stone's throw from my front door. That was a fun way to spend a morning.
                You all don't have those warning sirens? When we were in Memphis, the sirens added a nice aura of anxiety. Also, every storm event was occasion for special weather reports that would track activity to the street location, telling you exactly how far away the activity was, and that it was coming.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                  First "seek shelter now" tornado warning I've experienced here in 7 years. Phones and home security systems started going berserk about 7 am, tornado warning until 7:30. Looking at the radar, the center of the tornadic storm threat (no tornado was actually produced) was a literal stone's throw from my front door. That was a fun way to spend a morning.
                  Our backyard was pretty much an ankle deep lake both yesterday and this morning. Glad we didn't get any tornado warnings though.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                    You all don't have those warning sirens? When we were in Memphis, the sirens added a nice aura of anxiety. Also, every storm event was occasion for special weather reports that would track activity to the street location, telling you exactly how far away the activity was, and that it was coming.
                    No, Houston is (surprisingly) relatively low risk for tornados as compared to other areas of the gulf/south/Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      When we lived in Iowa, our first night in the apartment the sirens went off. It scared us to death as we had no idea what to do. Pretty much everyone just stayed in their apartments, so that's what we did.

In 8 years in Houston I've only seen one tornado warning even close to my area. There is almost no risk of tornados, even in north Houston. I think they become more of a factor as you get closer to Dallas and even then you don't see many until you get into Oklahoma. God hates Oklahoma!
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Crap! Storm caused a roof leak this AM. That's gotta get fixed, and fast.

Comment

• We had a hail storm a few days back. It didn't last long, but for a while they were close to golf ball sized and coming down pretty good.

I am hoping to get a new roof out of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            When we lived in Iowa, our first night in the apartment the sirens went off. It scared us to death as we had no idea what to do. Pretty much everyone just stayed in their apartments, so that's what we did.

In 8 years in Houston I've only seen one tornado warning even close to my area. There is almost no risk of tornados, even in north Houston. I think they become more of a factor as you get closer to Dallas and even then you don't see many until you get into Oklahoma. God hates Oklahoma!
                            And trailer homes.

I am guessing that the Houston area may get its share of tornadoes caused by hurricanes. It seems like when a hurricane hits land they break out all over the place. I recall reading that Katrina caused over 50 of them and Ivan well over 100. I assume that you were out of town for Rita and Ike so you may not have heard the warning.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Our backyard was pretty much an ankle deep lake both yesterday and this morning. Glad we didn't get any tornado warnings though.
                              I didn't know it was hurricane season already.

I take y'all are good on water so we'll ease up on flushing the toilets.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

And trailer homes.

I am guessing that the Houston area may get its share of tornadoes caused by hurricanes. It seems like when a hurricane hits land they break out all over the place. I recall reading that Katrina caused over 50 of them and Ivan well over 100. I assume that you were out of town for Rita and Ike so you may not have heard the warning.
                                I was here for Ike. Very minor tornadoes as memory serves. The ones that come with hurricanes are usually baby tornadoes, I think - EF1 or smaller maybe?

Comment

Working...
                                X