Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: The official weather thread

Just got hit with some hail. I think the northwest side of town including Boerne got hit harder... GM, you good?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Just got hit with some hail. I think the northwest side of town including Boerne got hit harder... GM, you good?
    Boerne is where Jimmy Walker is from.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

What's the 411 on Utah flooding this year? I remember the floods of 1983. Things started warming up pretty good in April.

Here we are in May, and the warming has been slow--maybe too slow and too wet. The later it gets, the greater the odds it'll heat up fast.

If I was still down with the Engineers, I'd have a much better handle and intel on this but I don't. So what's the skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    What's the 411 on Utah flooding this year? I remember the floods of 1983. Things started warming up pretty good in April.

Here we are in May, and the warming has been slow--maybe too slow and too wet. The later it gets, the greater the odds it'll heat up fast.

If I was still down with the Engineers, I'd have a much better handle and intel on this but I don't. So what's the skinny?
    I remember the floods of '83 myself. Does Utah still have those pumps on the Salt Lake? It was pretty cool when state street turned into a river:

Didn't the mountains get some more snow last night?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Most regions are still way above normal snowpack, but in the 150% range. I think we were around 200% in 1983.
    https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=14...=utah-snowpack

River flows are high, but not yet to max (Provo River is just above 50% of max right now) But some communities are preparing with sandbagging. And I think many reservoirs are releasing extra water now preparing for the crest of runoff.
    https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=14...r-flow-tracker

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Most regions are still way above normal snowpack, but in the 150% range. I think we were around 200% in 1983.

River flows are high, but not yet to max (Provo River is just above 50% of max right now) But some communities are preparing with sandbagging. And I think many reservoirs are releasing extra water now preparing for the crest of runoff.
    https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=14...r-flow-tracker
    Yeah. Still a ton of water in the unmelted snow. How bad it will be depends on the warming pattern. Specifically, the number of abnormally hot days that get strung together. In 1983, it was fairly cool and then it got very hot for an entire week and everything came down at once. Perfect storm, so to speak.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yeah, we had a crazy amount of snow in '83. I recall we only went to school like four days in the entire month of February and the rest were snow days. This was in Idaho, however.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, we had a crazy amount of snow in '83. I recall we only went to school like four days in the entire month of February and the rest were snow days. This was in Idaho, however.
    I don't think I ever had a snow day, and I walked 1/2 mile to school, home for lunch, back to school, and again home at the end of the day. I was a pretty fast walker. And that was uphill both ways!

I refused to wear galoshes, though, so I ended up changing out of soggy tennis shoes into moccasins in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I don't think I ever had a snow day, and I walked 1/2 mile to school, home for lunch, back to school, and again home at the end of the day. I was a pretty fast walker. And that was uphill both ways!

I refused to wear galoshes, though, so I ended up changing out of soggy tennis shoes into moccasins in the classroom.
    I had to walk 1/2 mile just to get to the bus then it was an hour ride each way... of course, this was usually some deep snow and 30 degrees below weather. Idaho is a cruel place to grow up. Thank God for Texas.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I remember the floods of '83 myself. Does Utah still have those pumps on the Salt Lake? It was pretty cool when state street turned into a river:

Didn't the mountains get some more snow last night?
    Yes, the pumps are still there on Hogup Ridge but they are "mothballed", which means it's doubtful they're in working order and would probably be expensive to get them back into working order.

Also, I helped sandbag for the State Street river back in '83. My favorite part of the video was the clothing people are wearing - the tube socks with stripes are so awesome. The 80s was such a great decade.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Yes, the pumps are still there on Hogup Ridge but they are "mothballed", which means it's doubtful they're in working order and would probably be expensive to get them back into working order.

Also, I helped sandbag for the State Street river back in '83. My favorite part of the video was the clothing people are wearing - the tube socks with stripes are so awesome. The 80s was such a great decade.
    It would be cool if state street flooded again... it would be fun to get some jet skis:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

It would be cool if state street flooded again... it would be fun to get some jet skis:

Looks like a good way to jack up your jetski.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I was at Ft. Campbell during the floods of '83. I remember coming home at lunch one day, flipping on the TV and seeing that CNN had lifted KSL's newscast from the previous night talking about the floods and the State Street River... IIRC about 10 minutes worth. It was a bit of a surprise seeing Norse, Welti and James while living in Tennessee
    Last edited by happyone; 05-02-2019 at 06:45 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

What's the 411 on Utah flooding this year? I remember the floods of 1983.
    I got to fill sandbags for the Teton Dam flood and the 1983 flooding. That was enough for me.

I got to fill sandbags for the Teton Dam flood and the 1983 flooding. That was enough for me.
    I got to be on the cleanup from the Teton Dam - they bused "volunteers" from our stake up to help

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    I got to be on the cleanup from the Teton Dam - they bused "volunteers" from our stake up to help
    There was some speculation that the down stream American Falls dam on the Snake river wouldn't hold so my father, brothers and I skipped church and drove there to watch it break. It didn't break but we saw lots of dead cows floating down the river.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    Yup, we appreciated the help. Mucking all that mud out of houses wasn't fun. My stake was assigned to help in the Hibbard area, just west of Rexburg. There was a house (with a full basement) with a corner of the footings and foundation hanging in mid-air because the flood waters had scoured all the dirt from around and under it. And a VW beetle stuck 10 feet up a tree.

Yup, we appreciated the help. Mucking all that mud out of houses wasn't fun. My stake was assigned to help in the Hibbard area, just west of Rexburg. There was a house (with a full basement) with a corner of the footings and foundation hanging in mid-air because the flood waters had scoured all the dirt from around and under it. And a VW beetle stuck 10 feet up a tree.
    Worst summer of my life.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Houston is a bunch of pussies who shut down due to a few snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Houston is a bunch of pussies who shut down due to a few snowflakes.
    Portland doesn't discriminate with regard to snowflakes, it allows multiple types to shut it down.