Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: The official weather thread

yikes. that sounds awful. unimaginable, tbh.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Stay safe BG.

I think it's going to be an awful fire year throughout the west. We had a lot of early rain and with it came a lot of really good growth, things were really green and lush around here until two weeks ago and almost over night everything started drying out. It's ripe out there for a bad year.

Wow. And to be honest, I've heard nothing in the news about it. Of course lately I only browse the headlines.

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2018/fire-tracker/

Don't know how accureate those polygons are but that is some scary stuff.

God bless.

Got back from Paris yesterday and had been awake 24 hours as we rolled into Redding and realized what was happening. The families who stayed with us went to bed nearly 100% certain their homes were gone. All woke to the news they still had homes. BG and I are both in probably the safest area of Redding right now, but our homes and yards are covered in ash and I’ve seen whole burned leaves that must’ve traveled all those miles. Terrifying to think that all it takes is a few embers to make the journey intact.

We had our kids pack go bags last night. It was interesting. Our 16 yo daughter packed one outfit and took all her Polaroid photos of her and her friends. Our 11 year old daughter packed clothes. Our 13 year old son packed clothes and his X Box. When I told him the X Box wasn’t going he just couldn’t get there.
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 07-27-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Yesterday the fire wasn’t nearly as violent as it was on Thursday but it was still pretty bad. It is now about 50,000 acres, most of which are in developed areas. Over 500 structures have been destroyed with about 100 others partially destroyed. Nearly half of our city’s 100,000 people have been evacuated, which is just staggering. Looting has become a bit of a problem, and will probably continue to get worse this weekend. Some of our friends make it through the road blocks to fight spot fires in their neighborhood and ending up chasing off two different looters within just a few hours. We tried to take any sort of backroads we could find to get in to a buddy’s house yesterday but the local law enforcement and national guard had everything totally locked down.

Have about 15 people camping out at the stake center. Many others have filtered through there but have been placed in members homes for now. Of those 500 structures destroyed there are probably about 10-15 church member families who are now homeless. Just Devastating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Yesterday the fire wasn’t nearly as violent as it was on Thursday but it was still pretty bad. It is now about 50,000 acres, most of which are in developed areas. Over 500 structures have been destroyed with about 100 others partially destroyed. Nearly half of our city’s 100,000 people have been evacuated, which is just staggering. Looting has become a bit of a problem, and will probably continue to get worse this weekend. Some of our friends make it through the road blocks to fight spot fires in their neighborhood and ending up chasing off two different looters within just a few hours. We tried to take any sort of backroads we could find to get in to a buddy’s house yesterday but the local law enforcement and national guard had everything totally locked down.

Have about 15 people camping out at the stake center. Many others have filtered through there but have been placed in members homes for now. Of those 500 structures destroyed there are probably about 10-15 church member families who are now homeless. Just Devastating.

That's just devastating to look at and hear about. I am sorry you and so many family and friends have to contend with this situation. I hope the long road back to normalcy is not far off for you and everyone involved.

That unbelievable. Unfortunately, what doesn’t get destroyed by the burn get’s wipes out in the spring rains. Good luck to all of you.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Terrible. I just heard it grew to 80000 acres.
    Stay safe.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

As horrible as the fire is, those night pictures are, frankly, beautiful in the abstract.

Pre-Historic Man

Vegas is overshadowed by the smoke of California fires.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Vegas is overshadowed by the smoke of California fires.
    we fart in your general direction.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Things have calmed down quite a bit the last 16 hours or so. Fortunately the winds have stayed calm and the fire hasn’t spread a whole lot today. Air quality is quite a better as well, at least on this side of town. We did have several deaths since my last update, including 4 residents who didn’t get out in time.

We had a stake meeting with the bishoprics and relief society presidents early this morning. 13 member homes are confirmed destroyed, with a number of others still unknown or at risk. All of the members in the stake are accounted for. As of this morning the last of the displaced families was placed in temporary housing with a member of our ward. So the stake center is now empty for the time being.

We held two sacrament services today to accommodate all five wards in town. I didn’t attend the 9:00 ward, but our ward was fairly full, despite many of our members having fled the area for safety and clean air. About half of the members present were wearing shorts, T-shirt’s, hats and flip flops. And the place smelled like a campfire.

We had a couple speak in our ward that had just recently moved to town. They moved to Redding 2 months ago because they had previously been in Santa Rosa and were displaced by the big fire there from last October. The wife gave a really powerful message about the way that the community and their ward in particular came together in that time of crisis. Their crisis was more dangerous than ours in that their mass evacuation happened at 2:00 in the morning while ours happened at 5:00 in the afternoon. Interestingly, we had asked them to speak over two weeks ago, well before the fire started. It was a really powerful talk that touched a lot of people.

My second counselor, who was conducting the meeting, found out via text message during the meeting that his mothers house was spared. They had spent two full days preparing for the fire to hit, including moving things out and taking down dozens of trees on the property.

I’ve received probably 1,000 text messages this weekend and have taken dozens of phone calls, many from people outside the area, offering support and condolences to our community. Long way to go, but for now things are so much better than they were just 48 hours ago.

Thanks for the update, BG. Glad to kjnow you and family are dafe. May God bless you and your ward and all the affected residents.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Good update from inside the lines. Probably too soon to ask, but would the stake be involved with rebuilding for the burned out members?

I was in Medford last week and the smoke was hellacious. Over a 100 fires going at the same time in Northern Cali and Southern Ore. Fire fighters are stretched thin...

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Two weeks ago tomorrow is when all of the real craziness began. Things have calmed down quite a bit over the last 5-6 days. There are still a number of areas in town that are closed down, mainly waiting for the utility companies to cap off and test the gas lines. In many cases entire neighborhoods were completely destroyed. In others the fire was very selective, destroying 4-5 houses on a given street while the rest were untouched. There is a small community on the outskirts of town called Keswick which only had 300-400 people, but the entire community is now gone. I think there was 1-2 buildings total still standing in the whole town.

In all, there were 19 families in our stake that lost their homes completely. Several others sustained significant damage. I think 2-3 families are still housed in friends homes. The last of the evacuees from our home were allowed to return to their homes over the weekend. Most of the LDS families that lost their homes have found rentals in the area. Several left town to be with family in Idaho and may not return. There are 7 people that have died, including 4 residents and 3 firefighters or utility workers.

The recovery effort is going to take a tremendous amount of time. There was a group of several dozen members of the stake that were ready for a work party on Saturday morning, but it had to be cancelled at the last minute, as there was really nothing they could do. The families that lost their homes are still waiting for the insurance companies to complete their inspections, and other areas that have already been inspected by insurance are now waiting for inspection and clearance of any haz mat problems.

Here is some incredible 360 degree aerial view footage of the burn areas. Unbelievable the amount of damage that some of the areas in and around town suffered.
    http://redding.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...1b3f1027245c0f

I'll try to narrow some of the aerial views for you.

Keswick

Spinnaker

Harlan

Red Bluff Road

Swasey
    Last edited by bluegoose; 08-08-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Keswick

Spinnaker

Harlan

Red Bluff Road

Swasey
    I was looking at those the other day. Crazy to see some houses standing in the middle of so many burned out lots.

Glad things are slightly getting back to normal.

Keswick

Spinnaker

Harlan

Red Bluff Road

Swasey
    You all have been in my prayers. That family that died was just a truly heartbreaking story.

Those pics are hard to believe. So many houses that seemed untouched, right next to completely burned down ones.

Unreal.

It will take decades for your trees to grow back. That sucks.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    You all have been in my prayers. That family that died was just a truly heartbreaking story.
    Thanks BD. I'm guessing that you saw the interview with the grandpa. It took me almost a week before I could get up the nerve to watch it, knowing what it was going to say. It was even more heart-wrenching than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Those pics are hard to believe. So many houses that seemed untouched, right next to completely burned down ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I was looking at those the other day. Crazy to see some houses standing in the middle of so many burned out lots.
    There was absolutely no pattern to its destruction. Some homes that had good defensible space around their property were wiped out, while a house overgrown with pine and oak trees right next door was spared. Not that having defensible space really means much in this case. It jumped the river in a place that it is close to 300 feet wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Unreal.

It will take decades for your trees to grow back. That sucks.
    Yep. I'm sure its going to be at least 20 years for much of that land to green up again. The natural beauty of the outdoors was one of the main attractions for the area. Now half of it is gone. Whiskeytown Lake was one of the best kept secrets in northern California, with hundreds of miles of biking and hiking trails, several beautiful waterfalls, great beaches and beautiful blue water for boating and fishing. Now its a charred wasteland.

Horrible. It stands as a warning to the rest of us. I hope your ward and area recovers quickly.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Keswick

Spinnaker

Harlan

Red Bluff Road

Swasey
    Wow, just Wow!

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Stay safe.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    heard that a tractor operator died in the fire? I wonder how.
    I don't know that I ever addressed this.

He was the first casualty of this fire. If the fire itself wasn't bad enough, his death came as a result of one of the firenados that formed in some of the burn areas. Crazy stuff. The intense heat created a tornado of sorts, with sustained winds of up to 143 mph, the equivalent of an Oklahoma F3. Ripped roofs off houses and threw them hundreds of feet away. Pulled huge trees out at the roots. And in this case, lifted the truck about 100 feet off the ground before dropping him to his death.

Here's a video of the firenado: https://twitter.com/ABC10/status/1022862397780852739

Edit: Can't get this last pic to post for some reason, but here is the link : https://www.reddit.com/r/natureismet...by_a_firenado/

Last edited by bluegoose; 08-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Absolutely insane. Glad you are okay but that rebuilding is going to take a long time.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

That is crazy stuff.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

pretty sure this is like godzillla where we need something even bigger and more badass to chase off the firenado. sharknado is the only thing that fits the bill.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.