No announcement yet.

The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one more short article about a Cal Fire crew that formed a circle with their engines around an intersection in Paradise to shield about 50 residents from the flames as they were fleeing on foot. Likely saved dozens of lives. The Captain is a neighbor of Steelblue's and mine.

https://krcrtv.com/news/camp-fire/fi...-the-camp-fire

Comment

• Got about 7 inches last night. Not common in the greater Portland area.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        Got about 7 inches last night. Not common in the greater Portland area.
        Damn.

We got 1-2 inches here in Southwest Idaho. It was coming down pretty hard around 10 am. The roads are mostly clear now.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• *Fishing for Sympathy Warning*

We're good for at least one cold spell a year with a week or so of sub-zero lows. I hated the warm January, because I figured it meant a cold spell in February when we started calving. Call me Nostradamus. We don't usually get much wind with temps below zero, and we usually get a few days with sub-zero highs, so this year was a little unusual because the lowest high temp was 0, but the wind chills were brutal. The weather forecast looks good for the next week, so today is the last day of this spell. Except for the wind, it was relatively mild, as cold spells go. The worst we've ever had was 1989 with -50 ambient temp and -69 wind chill one morning. I was in Rexburg, which was just as cold.

Calving in this kind of sucks because someone has to check them every hour through the night, and every calf has to come inside almost immediately. As a side note, maglites need new batteries or they will quit working at about -20 within 10 minutes.

2/3/2019 Low 0 Wind Chill -18
          2/4/2019 Low -2 Wind Chill -17
          2/5/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -24
          2/6/2019 Low -9 Wind Chill -23
          2/7/2019 Low -17 Wind Chill -14
          2/8/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -20
          2/9/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -19
          2/10/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -22
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Our house was previously landscaped with rhododendrons, which have become my favorite flowering bush. They keep their leaves throughout winter, which along with the surrounding pines gives great color under the snow. But anytime the temperature drops below freezing, the leaves droop and wither. They are our poor man's thermometer when we wake up. This is what they look like when it's 6 degrees outside:

O8kc0QIcTLmQBtmuNgeB4w.jpg
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• We had a nice little storm blow through Redding the other night. Woke up yesterday morning to about a foot snow. Power went out across most of town at about 4:00 in the morning. It was a very heavy snow, and most of our trees around here keep their leaves year round and aren't equipped for the weight. So thousands and thousands of trees around town toppled over yesterday. On top of that, countless numbers of tree limbs snapped off as well. In my yard alone I had 4 good sized oak trees fall, and had good portions of others have limbs snap off. and we got off pretty easy. It is crazy to drive through some of the neighborhoods. 60-80 foot oak trees lying across the road. Lives wires lying on the streets. One street near mine, which is a little more rural and still has most of the power lines above ground, had 15 power poles get knocked over. We had a big group of guys from the ward with chainsaws driving around town to ward members homes cutting trees off of houses, garages and cars.

Most of town has power now, but ours is still out and could be out for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                We had a nice little storm blow through Redding the other night. Woke up yesterday morning to about a foot snow. Power went out across most of town at about 4:00 in the morning. It was a very heavy snow, and most of our trees around here keep their leaves year round and aren't equipped for the weight. So thousands and thousands of trees around town toppled over yesterday. On top of that, countless numbers of tree limbs snapped off as well. In my yard alone I had 4 good sized oak trees fall, and had good portions of others have limbs snap off. and we got off pretty easy. It is crazy to drive through some of the neighborhoods. 60-80 foot oak trees lying across the road. Lives wires lying on the streets. One street near mine, which is a little more rural and still has most of the power lines above ground, had 15 power poles get knocked over. We had a big group of guys from the ward with chainsaws driving around town to ward members homes cutting trees off of houses, garages and cars.

I was wondering how things were going up there. They closed our office in Redding yesterday due to the weather. So looked it up and it said 6 inches to a foot of snow. That is not much. I apologise for all the bad things I said about you guys up north, that really does sound bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  I was wondering how things were going up there. They closed our office in Redding yesterday due to the weather. So looked it up and it said 6 inches to a foot of snow. That is not much. I apologise for all the bad things I said about you guys up north, that really does sound bad.
                  Yeah, it wasn't the amount of snow on the ground that was the problem. Driving wasn't a big deal for most people except for the idiots in rear wheel drive sedans or 2WD pickups that couldn't stay on the road. It was all of the dang trees that came down. If I get a chance I'll try to upload some pics from my phone.

Comment

• I don't travel through Redding much, but that seems like a lot of snow there. That sucks when the snow is heavy enough to down trees.
                    Hope you get power soon.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• We have a family that moved into our ward for a couple of years while they rebuild their house that had burned down. They lived in one of the areas hardest hit by the Carr fire last summer. Now they live in the area hardest hit by the downed trees from the snow storm. Hard not to start taking things personally after the last 6 months that they've had.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        We had a nice little storm blow through Redding the other night. Woke up yesterday morning to about a foot snow. Power went out across most of town at about 4:00 in the morning. It was a very heavy snow, and most of our trees around here keep their leaves year round and aren't equipped for the weight. So thousands and thousands of trees around town toppled over yesterday. On top of that, countless numbers of tree limbs snapped off as well. In my yard alone I had 4 good sized oak trees fall, and had good portions of others have limbs snap off. and we got off pretty easy. It is crazy to drive through some of the neighborhoods. 60-80 foot oak trees lying across the road. Lives wires lying on the streets. One street near mine, which is a little more rural and still has most of the power lines above ground, had 15 power poles get knocked over. We had a big group of guys from the ward with chainsaws driving around town to ward members homes cutting trees off of houses, garages and cars.

Crazy.

We had a couple of days of pretty consistent rain. The sun has made an appearance in the last hour or so.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• We are on the third straight snow day in central Oregon. Almost 3 feet of snow has dropped in the last 3 days. There’s not many places to put the snow now. Mount Bachelor even gently suggested that skiers may want to wait until the storm subsides.

It is beautiful though.

F1E13A78-2EC1-446E-BC04-590A9A5F23EA.jpg
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            We are on the third straight snow day in central Oregon. Almost 3 feet of snow has dropped in the last 3 days. There’s not many places to put the snow now. Mount Bachelor even gently suggested that skiers may want to wait until the storm subsides.

It is beautiful though.

[ATTACH]9392[/ATTACH]
                            The sideways pictures - is that an Oregon thing?
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              *Fishing for Sympathy Warning*

We're good for at least one cold spell a year with a week or so of sub-zero lows. I hated the warm January, because I figured it meant a cold spell in February when we started calving. Call me Nostradamus. We don't usually get much wind with temps below zero, and we usually get a few days with sub-zero highs, so this year was a little unusual because the lowest high temp was 0, but the wind chills were brutal. The weather forecast looks good for the next week, so today is the last day of this spell. Except for the wind, it was relatively mild, as cold spells go. The worst we've ever had was 1989 with -50 ambient temp and -69 wind chill one morning. I was in Rexburg, which was just as cold.

Calving in this kind of sucks because someone has to check them every hour through the night, and every calf has to come inside almost immediately. As a side note, maglites need new batteries or they will quit working at about -20 within 10 minutes.

2/3/2019 Low 0 Wind Chill -18
                              2/4/2019 Low -2 Wind Chill -17
                              2/5/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -24
                              2/6/2019 Low -9 Wind Chill -23
                              2/7/2019 Low -17 Wind Chill -14
                              2/8/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -20
                              2/9/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -19
                              2/10/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -22
                              This would all make great fodder for a reality tv show on Cowboy's life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                The sideways pictures - is that an Oregon thing?
                                It must be. Maybe there’s an Oregon specific hack in the town hall.
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X