No announcement yet.

The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow is forecast for tomorrow afternoon, which is really, really bizarre. When we get snow, it's usually in the dead of night or early morning when temps are the coldest. HOwever, the temps shoudl get to 32 degrees by mornign and then continue to go down until they hit 21-22 degrees. Freezing rain is forecast with the change for snow.

Needless to say, school is cancelled as are all church activities. I'll be working from home tomorrow and Wednesday since my commute sucks when bridges are frozen. However, my biggest concern is keeping the pool pipes from freezing. Maybe I'll turn on the pool heater and let the kids play in the heated spa for a bit.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Snow is forecast for tomorrow afternoon, which is really, really bizarre. When we get snow, it's usually in the dead of night or early morning when temps are the coldest. HOwever, the temps shoudl get to 32 degrees by mornign and then continue to go down until they hit 21-22 degrees. Freezing rain is forecast with the change for snow.

Needless to say, school is cancelled as are all church activities. I'll be working from home tomorrow and Wednesday since my commute sucks when bridges are frozen. However, my biggest concern is keeping the pool pipes from freezing. Maybe I'll turn on the pool heater and let the kids play in the heated spa for a bit.
      I went hiking today in a T-shirt! Crazy.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I had the attic fan on and the windows open on Saturday. Today, my birdbath froze solid. It's supposed to snow on Wednesday.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• 32 degress and freezing rain on my run this morning. Oddly, I enjoyed it much more than running in 80 degree humidity. Snow is still forecast for this afternoon. It would be awesome if it actually happened.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Our town is on fire right now. Started on Monday in the Whiskeytown National Recreation area just west of town, due to some mechanical problem with a vehicle. I'm guessing a trailer dragging a chain, or something. Its been insanely hot and dry all week, with a high of about 110 and a low about 80 every day. Fortunately not too windy so far.

Overnight, it blew up and turned toward town, ripping through a residential area on the outskirts of town. No word as to how many structures have burned. I don't think it will turn out as bad as the Santa Rosa and Napa fires from last year, but it could be really bad once they get in there to look around. We live on the far side of town, far out of danger, but a number of our friends have already evacuated.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Our town is on fire right now. Started on Monday in the Whiskeytown National Recreation area just west of town, due to some mechanical problem with a vehicle. I'm guessing a trailer dragging a chain, or something. Its been insanely hot and dry all week, with a high of about 110 and a low about 80 every day. Fortunately not too windy so far.

Overnight, it blew up and turned toward town, ripping through a residential area on the outskirts of town. No word as to how many structures have burned. I don't think it will turn out as bad as the Santa Rosa and Napa fires from last year, but it could be really bad once they get in there to look around. We live on the far side of town, far out of danger, but a number of our friends have already evacuated.

Yikes. Stay safe. We have been evacuated twice since living here. That is scary stuff.

Comment

• WOw. That's very scary. Stay safe, BG.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• We are totally safe at our house. My buddy that is supposed to run the marathon with me on Saturday was evacuated this morning. His family is hanging at our house until it’s safe to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Still...

Stay safe!

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Worst thing imaginable happened this evening. Fire shifted back to the south at about 7:00, right into some heavily populated neighborhoods. Probably 30,000 people were ordered to evacuate immediately. Many had cars packed, but the threat had moved so far to the north that the threat seemed gone by the afternoon, so many were taken off guard. I don’t think there will be many casualties, but the property damage could be astronomical. There’s no way to know how bad yet, but I’ve got a really bad feeling about it. We tried to make one last run to my buddy’s house at about 8:00 to get some more stuff but were turned away by the police roadblock. The flames were towering over 100 feet into the air.

We have 4 families spread out across our house tonight. Steelblue, across the street, has 3 families plus some of his extended family at his place.

The stake center had hundreds of people filtering through there this evening, as it served as sort of a temporary evacuation center. I think we found houses for most, if not all of them, tonight. Lots of amazing people worked tirelessly for hours over there. I’m sure it’ll continue in the morning.

Never thought this could happen to us on such a large scale.

Comment

Worst thing imaginable happened this evening. Fire shifted back to the south at about 7:00, right into some heavily populated neighborhoods. Probably 30,000 people were ordered to evacuate immediately. Many had cars packed, but the threat had moved so far to the north that the threat seemed gone by the afternoon, so many were taken off guard. I don’t think there will be many casualties, but the property damage could be astronomical. There’s no way to know how bad yet, but I’ve got a really bad feeling about it. We tried to make one last run to my buddy’s house at about 8:00 to get some more stuff but were turned away by the police roadblock. The flames were towering over 100 feet into the air.

We have 4 families spread out across our house tonight. Steelblue, across the street, has 3 families plus some of his extended family at his place.

The stake center had hundreds of people filtering through there this evening, as it served as sort of a temporary evacuation center. I think we found houses for most, if not all of them, tonight. Lots of amazing people worked tirelessly for hours over there. I’m sure it’ll continue in the morning.

Terrible, bg, but great you and SB are able to help. Hope you're able to post updates today. I wish we were closer (but not too close...) so that we could help with housing a few of those affected.

Comment

Worst thing imaginable happened this evening. Fire shifted back to the south at about 7:00, right into some heavily populated neighborhoods. Probably 30,000 people were ordered to evacuate immediately. Many had cars packed, but the threat had moved so far to the north that the threat seemed gone by the afternoon, so many were taken off guard. I don’t think there will be many casualties, but the property damage could be astronomical. There’s no way to know how bad yet, but I’ve got a really bad feeling about it. We tried to make one last run to my buddy’s house at about 8:00 to get some more stuff but were turned away by the police roadblock. The flames were towering over 100 feet into the air.

God bless you. I saw the devastation last summer's fires in Ventura County did to some friends. One lost everything and literally only had the clothes on her back. Glad you're able to help and hoping things get under control before it affects too many more folks
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• I hope for the best, BG and SB.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Sorry to hear that, BG. I hope the conditions improve soon.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• heard that a tractor operator died in the fire? I wonder how.

Comment

Working...
                                X