Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
Results 781 to 810 of 839

Thread: The official weather thread

  1. #781
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Stay safe, my friend (no sarcasm in this post)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto - stay safe banana man!

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  2. #782
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    It's amazing just how much smoke a 1000 acre brush fire can produce - I live about 5 miles south of the Weber Canyon fire and I can't see the mountains up there. The mountain due east of me is also covered in haze

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  3. #783
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    We wondered about stopping by to say hi, or meeting in Bend for another epic ride with HFN around Mt. Bachelor (I'd SAG this one), but given the current conditions, we'll be spending the day in a car or hotel room, concluding with viewing Mangum tossing five TD passes (hopefully none of them are pick sixes).
    I didn't see your post, if you are in the Eug I hope you aren't watching the game in a hotel. My door is always open.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  4. #784
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I didn't see your post, if you are in the Eug I hope you aren't watching the game in a hotel. My door is always open.
    I just realized this post was from a week ago, I still hope you didn't watch from a hotel.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  5. #785
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I just realized this post was from a week ago, I still hope you didn't watch from a hotel.
    We did, but that was a game that was best watched either in solitude, in a dimly lit bar with no other patrons, or not at all. We thought of trying to connect with you and the rest of the HFN mob (no doubt Hawk still cherishes the memory of his first dining experience in the US of A), but given our limited amount of time on the way north, we decided to defer the reunion to a later date.

  6. #786
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,565

    Default

    huh?

    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  7. #787
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    huh?

    It was category 5 when it had 185 MPH winds. I think it is down to 150 MPH winds.

    It is a poor comparison. Why have the current Cat and not current winds speeds. It also hasn't spent any time over Florida yet.

  8. #788
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,015

    Default

    Maybe next time they will stay at the Marriott...

    Tourists left 'stranded' in Hurricane Irma after Marriott boat refuses to rescue anyone but guests

    Terrified tourists stuck on the Caribbean Island of St Thomas during Hurricane Irma were left 'stranded' when a Marriott rescue ship refused to allow non-hotel guests to board.


    As 185mph winds unleashed devastation across the tropical islands, killing a total of 22 so far, holiday makers were astonished when staff onboard the ship said they could not accommodate those who had not booked a Marriott stay.


    Pier lights were then turned off in an attempt to disperse the stranded group.


    As darkness fell and killer winds from departing Irma and approaching Hurricane Jose picked up, tourists turned to social media to reveal their disgust at being left on the dock as the rescue boat departed with a reported 200 free seats.
    [...]
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...-irma-11143338
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  9. #789
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,934

    Default

    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  10. #790

    Default

    My sister spent 2 weeks "hoidays" in Vietnam, she has just come back, there was a very strong Typhoon Damrey last weekend, it was terrifying, 27 people dead, destruction, no electricity, water, tourists were asked to stay at hotels. Scary

  11. #791
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,956

    Default

    Are my fellow east-coasters ready for the Bomb Cyclone? We will be largely spared in NYC. Looking at 3 to 5 inches, but the 40 to 50 mph wind gusts with highs in the 20s may keep me indoors. Definitely not walking my daughter to school.

    Supposedly 6" forecast for Charleston and Savannah?

  12. #792
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Rain in January in Rexburg is very, very rare. I don’t mind it because I don’t have to shovel it away but it hasn’t been good for my skiing.

  13. #793
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,346

    Default

    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  14. #794
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,163

    Default

    It is so freaking warm here in SLC.

    Just rolled the garbage cans out to the street in my bare feet.

  15. #795
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    It is so freaking warm here in SLC.

    Just rolled the garbage cans out to the street in my bare feet.
    I'm in Chicago for 2 days. Thursday it was almost 60 and rainy. Friday is supposed to be low 20s and windy. What a weird place.

  16. #796
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,652

    Default

    Snow is forecast for tomorrow afternoon, which is really, really bizarre. When we get snow, it's usually in the dead of night or early morning when temps are the coldest. HOwever, the temps shoudl get to 32 degrees by mornign and then continue to go down until they hit 21-22 degrees. Freezing rain is forecast with the change for snow.

    Needless to say, school is cancelled as are all church activities. I'll be working from home tomorrow and Wednesday since my commute sucks when bridges are frozen. However, my biggest concern is keeping the pool pipes from freezing. Maybe I'll turn on the pool heater and let the kids play in the heated spa for a bit.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  17. #797
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Snow is forecast for tomorrow afternoon, which is really, really bizarre. When we get snow, it's usually in the dead of night or early morning when temps are the coldest. HOwever, the temps shoudl get to 32 degrees by mornign and then continue to go down until they hit 21-22 degrees. Freezing rain is forecast with the change for snow.

    Needless to say, school is cancelled as are all church activities. I'll be working from home tomorrow and Wednesday since my commute sucks when bridges are frozen. However, my biggest concern is keeping the pool pipes from freezing. Maybe I'll turn on the pool heater and let the kids play in the heated spa for a bit.
    I went hiking today in a T-shirt! Crazy.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #798
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,346

    Default

    I had the attic fan on and the windows open on Saturday. Today, my birdbath froze solid. It's supposed to snow on Wednesday.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  19. #799
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,652

    Default

    32 degress and freezing rain on my run this morning. Oddly, I enjoyed it much more than running in 80 degree humidity. Snow is still forecast for this afternoon. It would be awesome if it actually happened.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  20. #800

    Default

    Our town is on fire right now. Started on Monday in the Whiskeytown National Recreation area just west of town, due to some mechanical problem with a vehicle. I'm guessing a trailer dragging a chain, or something. Its been insanely hot and dry all week, with a high of about 110 and a low about 80 every day. Fortunately not too windy so far.

    Overnight, it blew up and turned toward town, ripping through a residential area on the outskirts of town. No word as to how many structures have burned. I don't think it will turn out as bad as the Santa Rosa and Napa fires from last year, but it could be really bad once they get in there to look around. We live on the far side of town, far out of danger, but a number of our friends have already evacuated.






  21. #801
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Our town is on fire right now. Started on Monday in the Whiskeytown National Recreation area just west of town, due to some mechanical problem with a vehicle. I'm guessing a trailer dragging a chain, or something. Its been insanely hot and dry all week, with a high of about 110 and a low about 80 every day. Fortunately not too windy so far.

    Overnight, it blew up and turned toward town, ripping through a residential area on the outskirts of town. No word as to how many structures have burned. I don't think it will turn out as bad as the Santa Rosa and Napa fires from last year, but it could be really bad once they get in there to look around. We live on the far side of town, far out of danger, but a number of our friends have already evacuated.

    Yikes. Stay safe. We have been evacuated twice since living here. That is scary stuff.

  22. #802
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,274

    Default

    WOw. That's very scary. Stay safe, BG.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  23. #803

    Default

    We are totally safe at our house. My buddy that is supposed to run the marathon with me on Saturday was evacuated this morning. His family is hanging at our house until it’s safe to go back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #804
    Board Bookworm happyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Davis County
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Still...

    Stay safe!

    I may be small, but I'm slow.

    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

  25. #805

    Default

    Worst thing imaginable happened this evening. Fire shifted back to the south at about 7:00, right into some heavily populated neighborhoods. Probably 30,000 people were ordered to evacuate immediately. Many had cars packed, but the threat had moved so far to the north that the threat seemed gone by the afternoon, so many were taken off guard. I don’t think there will be many casualties, but the property damage could be astronomical. There’s no way to know how bad yet, but I’ve got a really bad feeling about it. We tried to make one last run to my buddy’s house at about 8:00 to get some more stuff but were turned away by the police roadblock. The flames were towering over 100 feet into the air.

    We have 4 families spread out across our house tonight. Steelblue, across the street, has 3 families plus some of his extended family at his place.

    The stake center had hundreds of people filtering through there this evening, as it served as sort of a temporary evacuation center. I think we found houses for most, if not all of them, tonight. Lots of amazing people worked tirelessly for hours over there. I’m sure it’ll continue in the morning.

    Never thought this could happen to us on such a large scale.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #806
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Worst thing imaginable happened this evening. Fire shifted back to the south at about 7:00, right into some heavily populated neighborhoods. Probably 30,000 people were ordered to evacuate immediately. Many had cars packed, but the threat had moved so far to the north that the threat seemed gone by the afternoon, so many were taken off guard. I don’t think there will be many casualties, but the property damage could be astronomical. There’s no way to know how bad yet, but I’ve got a really bad feeling about it. We tried to make one last run to my buddy’s house at about 8:00 to get some more stuff but were turned away by the police roadblock. The flames were towering over 100 feet into the air.

    We have 4 families spread out across our house tonight. Steelblue, across the street, has 3 families plus some of his extended family at his place.

    The stake center had hundreds of people filtering through there this evening, as it served as sort of a temporary evacuation center. I think we found houses for most, if not all of them, tonight. Lots of amazing people worked tirelessly for hours over there. I’m sure it’ll continue in the morning.

    Never thought this could happen to us on such a large scale.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Terrible, bg, but great you and SB are able to help. Hope you're able to post updates today. I wish we were closer (but not too close...) so that we could help with housing a few of those affected.

  27. #807
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Worst thing imaginable happened this evening. Fire shifted back to the south at about 7:00, right into some heavily populated neighborhoods. Probably 30,000 people were ordered to evacuate immediately. Many had cars packed, but the threat had moved so far to the north that the threat seemed gone by the afternoon, so many were taken off guard. I don’t think there will be many casualties, but the property damage could be astronomical. There’s no way to know how bad yet, but I’ve got a really bad feeling about it. We tried to make one last run to my buddy’s house at about 8:00 to get some more stuff but were turned away by the police roadblock. The flames were towering over 100 feet into the air.

    We have 4 families spread out across our house tonight. Steelblue, across the street, has 3 families plus some of his extended family at his place.

    The stake center had hundreds of people filtering through there this evening, as it served as sort of a temporary evacuation center. I think we found houses for most, if not all of them, tonight. Lots of amazing people worked tirelessly for hours over there. I’m sure it’ll continue in the morning.

    Never thought this could happen to us on such a large scale.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless you. I saw the devastation last summer's fires in Ventura County did to some friends. One lost everything and literally only had the clothes on her back. Glad you're able to help and hoping things get under control before it affects too many more folks
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  28. #808

    Default

    I hope for the best, BG and SB.

  29. #809

    Default

    Sorry to hear that, BG. I hope the conditions improve soon.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  30. #810
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    heard that a tractor operator died in the fire? I wonder how.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •