No announcement yet.

The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So here’s the toll on the places in Paradise that were important to me, only one of which still affects my family.

Here is the home my grandparents built and retired in. It was filled with love, great food, music, and so many of my best childhood memories. I haven’t seen it since they passed away, but there was something comforting about just knowing it still existed.
    37AD3AD4-8644-4A45-8EC1-D23CB0CF2969.jpg

Here is the home my cousins grew up in. Visiting here was as fun to me as going to Disneyland. They haven’t lived in it for many years, but I still know its floor plan and furniture like it was yesterday.

839764C5-2D15-4BE2-9D12-D2507098FB2F.jpg

This was the home my family lived in when I was age 2-4. It’s the first home I have any memories of.
    70CB0A24-0BCF-409F-AB53-A21E5144130E.jpg

The church we attended when we visited. Over the years I helped bear three caskets through those doors where those flames are destroying the same couches and artwork you see in your chapel every Sunday.
    32704B1D-984B-4B37-B55E-68305C628F3A.jpg

Finally, the home of my Aunt, and her book bindery business, the only one in California north of the Bay Area (I think). She had just remodeled and was so proud of the results. She had a medical appointment in Chico the morning the fire broke out. That may have saved her life.

0546F8D4-C053-43EF-8AE0-8A472D17B16B.jpg

I certainly don’t mean to portray myself as a victim of this fire. My aunt is a victim who faces difficult decisions. I share this mainly to demonstrate the near totality of destruction in a town of 30k. And to mourn the loss of places so meaningful to my upbringing.
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 11-20-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Steel, you might consider writing about your memories. It would likely mean a lot to your aunt.

Comment

• God bless.

Comment

• God bless, Steel.

Comment

• Unbelievable. I'm so sorry that the fire has affected you and so many close to you.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

• My goodness. That is awful.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Wow, that’s terrible. Prayers for you and your family.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• heart is broken for your aunt. devastating.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Steel, that is such a sad and poignant review. It's hard to imagine such loss magnified by thousands. May you and your family, and especially your aunt, make it through this as easily as possible.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• You may have read about the nurses who helped evacuate all the hospital’s patients but then were trapped trying to leave themselves. Their cars caught fire and they were on foot. This is body cam footage from the cop who came to try and rescue them. His car caught fire too, so they are all on foot. They were ultimately saved by a dozer that appeared out of nowhere. This footage is so eerie. The cop said he turned on his body cam to record his last moments.

https://twitter.com/buttesheriff/sta...635616768?s=21

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                        You may have read about the nurses who helped evacuate all the hospital’s patients but then were trapped trying to leave themselves. Their cars caught fire and they were on foot. This is body cam footage from the cop who came to try and rescue them. His car caught fire too, so they are all on foot. They were ultimately saved by a dozer that appeared out of nowhere. This footage is so eerie. The cop said he turned on his body cam to record his last moments.

https://twitter.com/buttesheriff/sta...635616768?s=21
                        That was incredibly eerie. Read that this was in the middle of the day too.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm so sick of the white knuckle driving in the snow getting in to work. I need to buy a 4 wheel drive so I can go 80 like the rest of them.

Comment

• If you're interested in helping those in the Chico Stake affected by the Camp fire. Here is a list you can sign up for:

Families 1-106 (full): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp1
                            Families 107-132: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp2

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              If you're interested in helping those in the Chico Stake affected by the Camp fire. Here is a list you can sign up for:

Families 1-106 (full): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp1
                              Families 107-132: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp2

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know about this and the deadline is coming up quickly (17th).

Comment

• Incredible article this morning in the SF chronicle about the Carr Fire tornado

150 Minutes of Hell

Comment

Working...
                                X