Ironic

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

LDS church in Paradise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        We'll sing and we'll shout....
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Holy cow! This is pretty graphic. Dead bodies everywhere: https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CfHfb_1541798651

"She had to put her makeup on. She died because of it." WTF.

The guy was smart to head for the creek.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• 23 dead. That's just crazy what's going on.

Comment

• I read that one fire was consuming 50-80 acres per MINUTE. That is absolutely crazy. Lot of dry fuel (wood, grass) laying around, dry wind, and a spark to set it all off. Recipe for disaster.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                I read that one fire was consuming 50-80 acres per MINUTE. That is absolutely crazy. Lot of dry fuel (wood, grass) laying around, dry wind, and a spark to set it all off. Recipe for disaster.
                It's the fuel load that spurs fires like this, and the infuriating thing is that it could be controlled. Vegetation grows, and vegetation dies. Even trees. The best way to control fuel loads that have wildfire potential is to harvest them. I don't know about this fire, but the aggressive and successful efforts of well-meaning but ignorant activists to reduce grazing and logging has resulted in enormous fuel loads. Timber stands have become homogenous, making huge swaths susceptible to simultaneous death from disease, drought, etc., and very few areas with cleared areas or young trees that act as natural firebreaks. Ungrazed vegetation acts as kindling, and poof, fires explode and burn tens of thousands of acres instead of a few hundred or thousand.

Fire has its place, and there is no doubt that some fires should have been allowed to burn in the past. But our forest ecosystem has evolved to have logging replace small fires in helping diversify the age of the timber stands. Likewise, livestock has replaced wildlife in controlling understory plants and brush, and wildlife cannot return to 1700's populations because their winter grounds have houses on them. When logging and grazing are abruptly stopped after nearly two centuries of ecosystem adaptation, huge timbers stands die from disease, and then an uncontrollable wildfire is inevitable.<end rant>

At this point, blame doesn't matter. What's happening is an epic tragedy. My thoughts go out to everyone affected.
                Last edited by cowboy; 11-11-2018, 08:49 AM.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  23 dead. That's just crazy what's going on.
                  It's up to 29 now, but I think what you probably aren't hearing on the national news is that 228 are still missing. Paradise is a retirement town nestled in a pine forest with meandering roads, not very grid-like or orderly. The speed of that fire combined with only one good way in/out (there are others but they were even more perilous), and poor communications (cells not working, landlines cut off) meant that several elderly never had a chance. My aunt lost her home, and when my uncle evacuated, his neighbor's home and his own backyard were on fire. He said he left his driveway in Magalia at 9am and didn't get out of Paradise (and the roadside flames you've seen in videos) until 4pm.
                  Last edited by SteelBlue; 11-12-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                    It's up to 29 now, but I think what you probably aren't hearing on the national news is that 228 are still missing. Paradise is a retirement town nestled in a pine forest with meandering roads, not very grid-like or orderly. The speed of that fire combined with only one good way in/out (there are others but they were even more perilous), and poor communications (cells not working, landlines cut off) meant that several elderly never had a chance. My aunt lost her home, and when my uncle evacuated, his neighbor's home and his own backyard were on fire. He said he left his driveway in Magalia at 9am and didn't get out of Paradise (and the roadside flames you've seen in videos) until 4pm.
                    Yes, I've read that number. I don't want to consider how many dead there could be. I'm pretty sure my grandparents lived there once upon a time.

Comment

Was mentioned multiple times on the national news shows this morning.

Awful.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That is terrifying.

Comment

• The #CampFire tag on twitter shows how many haven’t beeen heard from since that morning. Full of people looking for family. So many say things like “doesn’t have cell phone and couldn’t drive.” They all affect me but at least there are reasons why the elderly may not have made contact yet:

65A43EAF-7BAE-4D7C-B3F5-2CD20256D92A.jpg

It’s the ones of people in their 20s and 30s that feel final. Have to think folks that age would have wrangled phone access by now.
                          Last edited by SteelBlue; 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

So sad and horrible. I read an account of an OB who worked at the hospital and one of a nurse who were evacuating patients. I can’t imagine driving through that. The OB said he saw bumpers melt off cars and people driving out on their rims once the fire melted their tires. How horrifying for those searching for the 228 still missing.

Comment

Comment

• Calfire updating their damage map each day. Black means no visible damage, any other color represents varying stages of visible damage, red being worst. This is a slice of town near my aunt’s place. Still haven’t updated to her street.

A3011CD0-DE4B-4318-9415-361E0C8FE877.jpg

Edit: why are photos posted from my camera roll so blurry now? Didn’t used to be the case.
                                Last edited by SteelBlue; 11-13-2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X