No announcement yet.

The official weather thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yikes. that sounds awful. unimaginable, tbh.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Stay safe BG.

I think it's going to be an awful fire year throughout the west. We had a lot of early rain and with it came a lot of really good growth, things were really green and lush around here until two weeks ago and almost over night everything started drying out. It's ripe out there for a bad year.

Comment

• Wow. And to be honest, I've heard nothing in the news about it. Of course lately I only browse the headlines.

Comment

• https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2018/fire-tracker/

Don't know how accureate those polygons are but that is some scary stuff.

God bless.

Comment

• Got back from Paris yesterday and had been awake 24 hours as we rolled into Redding and realized what was happening. The families who stayed with us went to bed nearly 100% certain their homes were gone. All woke to the news they still had homes. BG and I are both in probably the safest area of Redding right now, but our homes and yards are covered in ash and I’ve seen whole burned leaves that must’ve traveled all those miles. Terrifying to think that all it takes is a few embers to make the journey intact.

We had our kids pack go bags last night. It was interesting. Our 16 yo daughter packed one outfit and took all her Polaroid photos of her and her friends. Our 11 year old daughter packed clothes. Our 13 year old son packed clothes and his X Box. When I told him the X Box wasn’t going he just couldn’t get there.
            Last edited by SteelBlue; 07-27-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Yesterday the fire wasn’t nearly as violent as it was on Thursday but it was still pretty bad. It is now about 50,000 acres, most of which are in developed areas. Over 500 structures have been destroyed with about 100 others partially destroyed. Nearly half of our city’s 100,000 people have been evacuated, which is just staggering. Looting has become a bit of a problem, and will probably continue to get worse this weekend. Some of our friends make it through the road blocks to fight spot fires in their neighborhood and ending up chasing off two different looters within just a few hours. We tried to take any sort of backroads we could find to get in to a buddy’s house yesterday but the local law enforcement and national guard had everything totally locked down.

Have about 15 people camping out at the stake center. Many others have filtered through there but have been placed in members homes for now. Of those 500 structures destroyed there are probably about 10-15 church member families who are now homeless. Just Devastating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                Yesterday the fire wasn’t nearly as violent as it was on Thursday but it was still pretty bad. It is now about 50,000 acres, most of which are in developed areas. Over 500 structures have been destroyed with about 100 others partially destroyed. Nearly half of our city’s 100,000 people have been evacuated, which is just staggering. Looting has become a bit of a problem, and will probably continue to get worse this weekend. Some of our friends make it through the road blocks to fight spot fires in their neighborhood and ending up chasing off two different looters within just a few hours. We tried to take any sort of backroads we could find to get in to a buddy’s house yesterday but the local law enforcement and national guard had everything totally locked down.

Have about 15 people camping out at the stake center. Many others have filtered through there but have been placed in members homes for now. Of those 500 structures destroyed there are probably about 10-15 church member families who are now homeless. Just Devastating.

That's just devastating to look at and hear about. I am sorry you and so many family and friends have to contend with this situation. I hope the long road back to normalcy is not far off for you and everyone involved.

Comment

• That unbelievable. Unfortunately, what doesn’t get destroyed by the burn get’s wipes out in the spring rains. Good luck to all of you.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Terrible. I just heard it grew to 80000 acres.
                      Stay safe.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• As horrible as the fire is, those night pictures are, frankly, beautiful in the abstract.

Comment

• Vegas is overshadowed by the smoke of California fires.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                            Vegas is overshadowed by the smoke of California fires.
                            we fart in your general direction.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Things have calmed down quite a bit the last 16 hours or so. Fortunately the winds have stayed calm and the fire hasn’t spread a whole lot today. Air quality is quite a better as well, at least on this side of town. We did have several deaths since my last update, including 4 residents who didn’t get out in time.

We had a stake meeting with the bishoprics and relief society presidents early this morning. 13 member homes are confirmed destroyed, with a number of others still unknown or at risk. All of the members in the stake are accounted for. As of this morning the last of the displaced families was placed in temporary housing with a member of our ward. So the stake center is now empty for the time being.

We held two sacrament services today to accommodate all five wards in town. I didn’t attend the 9:00 ward, but our ward was fairly full, despite many of our members having fled the area for safety and clean air. About half of the members present were wearing shorts, T-shirt’s, hats and flip flops. And the place smelled like a campfire.

We had a couple speak in our ward that had just recently moved to town. They moved to Redding 2 months ago because they had previously been in Santa Rosa and were displaced by the big fire there from last October. The wife gave a really powerful message about the way that the community and their ward in particular came together in that time of crisis. Their crisis was more dangerous than ours in that their mass evacuation happened at 2:00 in the morning while ours happened at 5:00 in the afternoon. Interestingly, we had asked them to speak over two weeks ago, well before the fire started. It was a really powerful talk that touched a lot of people.

My second counselor, who was conducting the meeting, found out via text message during the meeting that his mothers house was spared. They had spent two full days preparing for the fire to hit, including moving things out and taking down dozens of trees on the property.

I’ve received probably 1,000 text messages this weekend and have taken dozens of phone calls, many from people outside the area, offering support and condolences to our community. Long way to go, but for now things are so much better than they were just 48 hours ago.

Comment

• Thanks for the update, BG. Glad to kjnow you and family are dafe. May God bless you and your ward and all the affected residents.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X