Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: The official weather thread

So here’s the toll on the places in Paradise that were important to me, only one of which still affects my family.

Here is the home my grandparents built and retired in. It was filled with love, great food, music, and so many of my best childhood memories. I haven’t seen it since they passed away, but there was something comforting about just knowing it still existed.
    37AD3AD4-8644-4A45-8EC1-D23CB0CF2969.jpg

Here is the home my cousins grew up in. Visiting here was as fun to me as going to Disneyland. They haven’t lived in it for many years, but I still know its floor plan and furniture like it was yesterday.

839764C5-2D15-4BE2-9D12-D2507098FB2F.jpg

This was the home my family lived in when I was age 2-4. It’s the first home I have any memories of.
    70CB0A24-0BCF-409F-AB53-A21E5144130E.jpg

The church we attended when we visited. Over the years I helped bear three caskets through those doors where those flames are destroying the same couches and artwork you see in your chapel every Sunday.
    32704B1D-984B-4B37-B55E-68305C628F3A.jpg

Finally, the home of my Aunt, and her book bindery business, the only one in California north of the Bay Area (I think). She had just remodeled and was so proud of the results. She had a medical appointment in Chico the morning the fire broke out. That may have saved her life.

0546F8D4-C053-43EF-8AE0-8A472D17B16B.jpg

I certainly don’t mean to portray myself as a victim of this fire. My aunt is a victim who faces difficult decisions. I share this mainly to demonstrate the near totality of destruction in a town of 30k. And to mourn the loss of places so meaningful to my upbringing.
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 11-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Steel, you might consider writing about your memories. It would likely mean a lot to your aunt.

God bless.

God bless, Steel.

Unbelievable. I'm so sorry that the fire has affected you and so many close to you.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

My goodness. That is awful.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Wow, that’s terrible. Prayers for you and your family.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

heart is broken for your aunt. devastating.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Steel, that is such a sad and poignant review. It's hard to imagine such loss magnified by thousands. May you and your family, and especially your aunt, make it through this as easily as possible.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

You may have read about the nurses who helped evacuate all the hospital’s patients but then were trapped trying to leave themselves. Their cars caught fire and they were on foot. This is body cam footage from the cop who came to try and rescue them. His car caught fire too, so they are all on foot. They were ultimately saved by a dozer that appeared out of nowhere. This footage is so eerie. The cop said he turned on his body cam to record his last moments.

https://twitter.com/buttesheriff/sta...635616768?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    You may have read about the nurses who helped evacuate all the hospital’s patients but then were trapped trying to leave themselves. Their cars caught fire and they were on foot. This is body cam footage from the cop who came to try and rescue them. His car caught fire too, so they are all on foot. They were ultimately saved by a dozer that appeared out of nowhere. This footage is so eerie. The cop said he turned on his body cam to record his last moments.

https://twitter.com/buttesheriff/sta...635616768?s=21
    That was incredibly eerie. Read that this was in the middle of the day too.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I'm so sick of the white knuckle driving in the snow getting in to work. I need to buy a 4 wheel drive so I can go 80 like the rest of them.

If you're interested in helping those in the Chico Stake affected by the Camp fire. Here is a list you can sign up for:

Families 1-106 (full): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp1
    Families 107-132: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp2

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    If you're interested in helping those in the Chico Stake affected by the Camp fire. Here is a list you can sign up for:

Families 1-106 (full): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp1
    Families 107-132: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4FAAA622A13-camp2

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know about this and the deadline is coming up quickly (17th).

Incredible article this morning in the SF chronicle about the Carr Fire tornado

150 Minutes of Hell

Here's one more short article about a Cal Fire crew that formed a circle with their engines around an intersection in Paradise to shield about 50 residents from the flames as they were fleeing on foot. Likely saved dozens of lives. The Captain is a neighbor of Steelblue's and mine.

https://krcrtv.com/news/camp-fire/fi...-the-camp-fire

Got about 7 inches last night. Not common in the greater Portland area.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Got about 7 inches last night. Not common in the greater Portland area.
    Damn.

We got 1-2 inches here in Southwest Idaho. It was coming down pretty hard around 10 am. The roads are mostly clear now.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

*Fishing for Sympathy Warning*

We're good for at least one cold spell a year with a week or so of sub-zero lows. I hated the warm January, because I figured it meant a cold spell in February when we started calving. Call me Nostradamus. We don't usually get much wind with temps below zero, and we usually get a few days with sub-zero highs, so this year was a little unusual because the lowest high temp was 0, but the wind chills were brutal. The weather forecast looks good for the next week, so today is the last day of this spell. Except for the wind, it was relatively mild, as cold spells go. The worst we've ever had was 1989 with -50 ambient temp and -69 wind chill one morning. I was in Rexburg, which was just as cold.

Calving in this kind of sucks because someone has to check them every hour through the night, and every calf has to come inside almost immediately. As a side note, maglites need new batteries or they will quit working at about -20 within 10 minutes.

2/3/2019 Low 0 Wind Chill -18
    2/4/2019 Low -2 Wind Chill -17
    2/5/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -24
    2/6/2019 Low -9 Wind Chill -23
    2/7/2019 Low -17 Wind Chill -14
    2/8/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -20
    2/9/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -19
    2/10/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -22

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Our house was previously landscaped with rhododendrons, which have become my favorite flowering bush. They keep their leaves throughout winter, which along with the surrounding pines gives great color under the snow. But anytime the temperature drops below freezing, the leaves droop and wither. They are our poor man's thermometer when we wake up. This is what they look like when it's 6 degrees outside:

O8kc0QIcTLmQBtmuNgeB4w.jpg

We had a nice little storm blow through Redding the other night. Woke up yesterday morning to about a foot snow. Power went out across most of town at about 4:00 in the morning. It was a very heavy snow, and most of our trees around here keep their leaves year round and aren't equipped for the weight. So thousands and thousands of trees around town toppled over yesterday. On top of that, countless numbers of tree limbs snapped off as well. In my yard alone I had 4 good sized oak trees fall, and had good portions of others have limbs snap off. and we got off pretty easy. It is crazy to drive through some of the neighborhoods. 60-80 foot oak trees lying across the road. Lives wires lying on the streets. One street near mine, which is a little more rural and still has most of the power lines above ground, had 15 power poles get knocked over. We had a big group of guys from the ward with chainsaws driving around town to ward members homes cutting trees off of houses, garages and cars.

Most of town has power now, but ours is still out and could be out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    We had a nice little storm blow through Redding the other night. Woke up yesterday morning to about a foot snow. Power went out across most of town at about 4:00 in the morning. It was a very heavy snow, and most of our trees around here keep their leaves year round and aren't equipped for the weight. So thousands and thousands of trees around town toppled over yesterday. On top of that, countless numbers of tree limbs snapped off as well. In my yard alone I had 4 good sized oak trees fall, and had good portions of others have limbs snap off. and we got off pretty easy. It is crazy to drive through some of the neighborhoods. 60-80 foot oak trees lying across the road. Lives wires lying on the streets. One street near mine, which is a little more rural and still has most of the power lines above ground, had 15 power poles get knocked over. We had a big group of guys from the ward with chainsaws driving around town to ward members homes cutting trees off of houses, garages and cars.

I was wondering how things were going up there. They closed our office in Redding yesterday due to the weather. So looked it up and it said 6 inches to a foot of snow. That is not much. I apologise for all the bad things I said about you guys up north, that really does sound bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I was wondering how things were going up there. They closed our office in Redding yesterday due to the weather. So looked it up and it said 6 inches to a foot of snow. That is not much. I apologise for all the bad things I said about you guys up north, that really does sound bad.
    Yeah, it wasn't the amount of snow on the ground that was the problem. Driving wasn't a big deal for most people except for the idiots in rear wheel drive sedans or 2WD pickups that couldn't stay on the road. It was all of the dang trees that came down. If I get a chance I'll try to upload some pics from my phone.

I don't travel through Redding much, but that seems like a lot of snow there. That sucks when the snow is heavy enough to down trees.
    Hope you get power soon.

We have a family that moved into our ward for a couple of years while they rebuild their house that had burned down. They lived in one of the areas hardest hit by the Carr fire last summer. Now they live in the area hardest hit by the downed trees from the snow storm. Hard not to start taking things personally after the last 6 months that they've had.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

Crazy.

We had a couple of days of pretty consistent rain. The sun has made an appearance in the last hour or so.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

We are on the third straight snow day in central Oregon. Almost 3 feet of snow has dropped in the last 3 days. There’s not many places to put the snow now. Mount Bachelor even gently suggested that skiers may want to wait until the storm subsides.

It is beautiful though.

F1E13A78-2EC1-446E-BC04-590A9A5F23EA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    We are on the third straight snow day in central Oregon. Almost 3 feet of snow has dropped in the last 3 days. There’s not many places to put the snow now. Mount Bachelor even gently suggested that skiers may want to wait until the storm subsides.

It is beautiful though.

F1E13A78-2EC1-446E-BC04-590A9A5F23EA.jpg
    The sideways pictures - is that an Oregon thing?
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    *Fishing for Sympathy Warning*

We're good for at least one cold spell a year with a week or so of sub-zero lows. I hated the warm January, because I figured it meant a cold spell in February when we started calving. Call me Nostradamus. We don't usually get much wind with temps below zero, and we usually get a few days with sub-zero highs, so this year was a little unusual because the lowest high temp was 0, but the wind chills were brutal. The weather forecast looks good for the next week, so today is the last day of this spell. Except for the wind, it was relatively mild, as cold spells go. The worst we've ever had was 1989 with -50 ambient temp and -69 wind chill one morning. I was in Rexburg, which was just as cold.

Calving in this kind of sucks because someone has to check them every hour through the night, and every calf has to come inside almost immediately. As a side note, maglites need new batteries or they will quit working at about -20 within 10 minutes.

2/3/2019 Low 0 Wind Chill -18
    2/4/2019 Low -2 Wind Chill -17
    2/5/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -24
    2/6/2019 Low -9 Wind Chill -23
    2/7/2019 Low -17 Wind Chill -14
    2/8/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -20
    2/9/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -19
    2/10/2019 Low -4 Wind Chill -22
    This would all make great fodder for a reality tv show on Cowboy's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The sideways pictures - is that an Oregon thing?
    It must be. Maybe there’s an Oregon specific hack in the town hall.