Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do/don't did/didn't you like about BYU law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I'm sitting here icing my shins, I have some time to jot down some thoughts on BYU Law.

I'm a 3L (hallelujah!!!) and there are some very common things to each year and other things which differ. One thing that has been important to me is the quality of the faculty. There are a lot of great teachers at BYU. They also attract several people from the private or public sectors who teach a class or two, and those have been some of the best classes I've taken. Almost every teacher is very willing to help students, and having teachers like that makes a huge difference. The education you get at BYU Law will be a good one. When I started working, I was more than adequately prepared.

I also found that there is plenty of opportunity to get the liberal side of things from both faculty and students.

Other things depend on the people in your class. Some classes are more relaxed, others are really competitive and uptight. I had the good fortune of being in one of the relaxed classes. Still, BYU is very competitive. You have a lot of people who know how to work hard. Even in our class, there were several people who would stay until 8 or later studying. Other classes while I've been there have had the reputation of being lazy and incredibly competitive.

Still, I never encountered people hiding books or tearing pages out of books. In fact, almost everyone was ready and willing to help others out. There are always a couple of people who are there for themselves and hoard outlines and don't offer any help whatsoever, but in my experience, there are very few of those.

Sometimes I wonder if I would be higher in my class if I had gone to one of the other schools I got into that are less competitive, but as it is, I'm satisfied with where I'll be graduating. I also have much less debt than people at other schools, and I have a great education. Overall it's been a great experience, and I've met some terrific people here.
    Not that, sickos.

Comment

I'll state this simply: Don't go to BYU Law. Especially if you went to BYU undergrad. The world is varied and interesting. Don't miss out on it by opting for three more years of asphyxiating conformity. You don't know what oxygen feels like until you're out of the bubble. Go. Fly. Spread your wings. And enjoy every second of it.

Oh, and as an added benefit: you won't have to deal with an entire quivering mass of up-tight, competitive fellow Mormons.

But if it's a money issue, then BYU's bargain is hard to beat. Keep in mind if you want to do public interest work, the more reputable schools have loan forgiveness programs for students who choose such a path.

Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
        I'll state this simply: Don't go to BYU Law. Especially if you went to BYU undergrad. The world is varied and interesting. Don't miss out on it by opting for three more years of asphyxiating conformity. You don't know what oxygen feels like until you're out of the bubble. Go. Fly. Spread your wings. And enjoy every second of it.

Oh, and as an added benefit: you won't have to deal with an entire quivering mass of up-tight, competitive fellow Mormons.

But if it's a money issue, then BYU's bargain is hard to beat. Keep in mind if you want to do public interest work, the more reputable schools have loan forgiveness programs for students who choose such a path.

Go for it!
        Levin, just so you know, this was my very first reaction, especially since I did my undergrad at BYU. As I compiled my list of potential schools BYU hit the bottom of my list exactly for the reasons that you listed, lack of diversity and highly competitive Mormon A-types (I'd love to be in a class where at least I knew I would have a leg up on the party-all-day people), among other things.

I just keep getting stuck on the money issue. A nice scholarship from another school would definitely go a long way in persuading me that another school is better but at the moment there is nothing coming my way.

And for anyone that cares, I made my seat deposit yesterday. Still not 100% sold on BYU but it looks more and more like it's gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
          Levin, just so you know, this was my very first reaction, especially since I did my undergrad at BYU. As I compiled my list of potential schools BYU hit the bottom of my list exactly for the reasons that you listed, lack of diversity and highly competitive Mormon A-types (I'd love to be in a class where at least I knew I would have a leg up on the party-all-day people), among other things.

I just keep getting stuck on the money issue. A nice scholarship from another school would definitely go a long way in persuading me that another school is better but at the moment there is nothing coming my way.

And for anyone that cares, I made my seat deposit yesterday. Still not 100% sold on BYU but it looks more and more like it's gonna happen.
          What other schools are you considering?
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
            Other things depend on the people in your class. Some classes are more relaxed, others are really competitive and uptight. I had the good fortune of being in one of the relaxed classes. Still, BYU is very competitive. You have a lot of people who know how to work hard. Even in our class, there were several people who would stay until 8 or later studying. Other classes while I've been there have had the reputation of being lazy and incredibly competitive.
            I wish I had some sort of way of devining what sort of class the class of 2012 will be. That would really make my decision easier.

Comment

I've heard from Hastings and ND. I'm still waiting on Boston U and Vanderbilt, although I am expecting waitlists from both. I applied late in the cycle (End of February with a Feb. LSAT) and I think I've been hampered a bit by this fact.

Comment

I wish I had some sort of way of devining what sort of class the class of 2012 will be. That would really make my decision easier.
                It will probably be more competitive than usual. With the recession, a lot of very qualified individuals suddenly don't find the alternative to three years of no income all that appealing. And they'll be scratching and clawing for the same lawyer spots as everybody else.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I've heard from Hastings and ND. I'm still waiting on Boston U and Vanderbilt, although I am expecting waitlists from both. I applied late in the cycle (End of February with a Feb. LSAT) and I think I've been hampered a bit by this fact.
                  ND as in Notre Dame? Those turds waitlisted me.

Comment

Yes, Notre Dame. Sorry that they waitlisted you. Were you looking to go there? They have a pretty small class size (about the same as BYU) and I would imagine that they have a higher then average yield rate which to me seems to add up to more people on the waitlist/rejected pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                      I'm a current BYU Law student (2L). I echo most everything that's been said. My class at least is quite competitive but we are fairly friendly all things considered. I want to murder the 1Ls this year--drama drama drama! It's like being back in high school with them (perhaps all 1L classes do this, but they are all whiny, "Gah-osh. Law school is like so much harder than I thought it would be. I have to STUDY???").
                      Law school does seem hard until you take the bar and learn what actual studying is. And that seems like the hardest thing in the world until you actually get into practice. And so on, and so forth. Things never get easier, but your capacity increases exponentially.

Comment

Yes, Notre Dame. Sorry that they waitlisted you. Were you looking to go there? They have a pretty small class size (about the same as BYU) and I would imagine that they have a higher then average yield rate which to me seems to add up to more people on the waitlist/rejected pile.
                        I wasn't really serious about going there, so it's not a big deal. Which may be why they waitlisted me.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          I wasn't really serious about going there, so it's not a big deal. Which may be why they waitlisted me.
                          How could they tell this? Really just curious. On the application did you say, "I am only applying here as a fall back in case I don't get into the 6 other schools I would really like to attend more. But at least it would be fun to attend football games while I am there."

That may not have gone over as well as you hoped.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            ND as in Notre Dame? Those turds waitlisted me.
                            oh, the gall!!

Comment

I'm going to go with very white and predominantly male.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                How could they tell this? Really just curious. On the application did you say, "I am only applying here as a fall back in case I don't get into the 6 other schools I would really like to attend more. But at least it would be fun to attend football games while I am there."

That may not have gone over as well as you hoped.
                                Well, I didn't say anything personally, but my GPA and LSAT might have said words to that effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X