Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1601

Thread: HBO's Game of Thrones

  1. #1
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters oxcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Split time between SF and NYC
    Posts
    5,308

    Default HBO's Game of Thrones

    Watching the first of the 10-part series right now.

    As is usually the case w/ HBO the production values are insanely high. It's based on the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R.R. Martin. It's a bit to Dungeons-and-Dragons for my tastes, but I'm sure it will get a huge following for that reason............

    Anyway. First episode has been reasonably good. I'm sure some of you will get more into than I am though.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

  2. #2

    Default

    Loved the first episode.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,792

    Default

    So, Maxie, were you a D&D gamer as a wee lad?

  4. #4

    Default

    I have read the book. I liked the first episode.

  5. #5

    Default

    I thought it was a good start. It didn't do as good of job at introducing the characters as I thought it would, considering how character heavy the story is, but perhaps that's for the best since there are so many to keep track of.

    Note to Ox: the first book is about 95% politics/character interactions and 5% "D&D".

  6. #6
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,218

    Default

    I haven't seen the show (we don't have HBO, so I'll wait for the DVD's to come out), but I read the books.

    This is far from D & D (yes, I played that in middle school). This is truly, grown-up epic fantasy. Very mature storylines and themes. Even uncomfortable at times. It's more of a political drama set in a different world. It's the intrigue that takes center stage, not the "magic" stuff.

    A fantastic series, although Martin takes WAY too long between books.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post

    A fantastic series, although Martin takes WAY too long between books.
    No kidding!. I read the first book many years ago when it first came out and I enjoyed it but I never finished the series because for several years when I looked for the second book I learned that it was not yet published. I will probably pick up the other books now and finished them. I really enjoyed the first book, but I like epic fantasy series. I guess tat is what happens to lots of kids when they read JRR Tolkien for the first time as a 10-12 year old.

  8. #8

    Default

    Episode 2 was really solid. Much better than the first IMO.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    I made the mistake of watching the first episode while my very-conservative parents were visiting. I had suggested that we introduce them to Friday Night Lights, but NOOOOoooooOOOO, Faith insisted on watching Game of Thrones. Well, I could tell that my dad was getting very uncomfortable after the second or third pair of boobs had graced the screen, but when the prostitutes jumped on top of the midget, well that was all he could take and he went to bed. What a shame he left before the last scene.

    The next morning I made Faith apologize for making grandpa watch porn, and he graciously accepted. Minutes later Little Robin hopped onto his new gmail account to tell all of the uncles and aunts that Faith had made grandpa watch porn.

  10. #10
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Episode 2 was really solid. Much better than the first IMO.
    At least it had some story to it.

    Right now I am liking Camelot better, but Game of Thrones definitely has potential.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    At least it had some story to it.

    Right now I am liking Camelot better, but Game of Thrones definitely has potential.
    I watched the first three episodes of Camelot. I hate their portrayal of Arthur. IMHO without a good Arthur character there really is not good Camelot story. Merlin and Morgan characters are somewhat interesting but I don't think I will continue to watch.

    Game of Thrones has been a little slow. I agree that episode 2 was better than 1. I think they are trying to develop the characters in the same fashion that they were developed in the book. The series has followed the book almost flawlessly thus far. I am still in so far

  12. #12
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    I read a review that said this was Lord of the Rings + Playboy tv. I'm sold -- need to start watching this thing.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I read a review that said this was Lord of the Rings + Playboy tv. I'm sold -- need to start watching this thing.
    Although I would be surprised if Playboy has employed too many short, semi-stocky girls. I can't recall that many nude scenes with girls that look like that.

    In all seriousness, the show is quite good. Two days after the premiere, HBO renewed it for a second season.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Although I would be surprised if Playboy has employed too many short, semi-stocky girls. I can't recall that many nude scenes with girls that look like that.

    In all seriousness, the show is quite good. Two days after the premiere, HBO renewed it for a second season.
    does that mean book 2? I thought game of thrones was 10 episodes for the entire book.

  15. #15
    Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    31,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Although I would be surprised if Playboy has employed too many short, semi-stocky girls. I can't recall that many nude scenes with girls that look like that.

    In all seriousness, the show is quite good. Two days after the premiere, HBO renewed it for a second season.
    I had read that HBO was trying to do for fantasy what they had already done for cop shows (The Wire), westerns (Deadwood) and wiseguys (The Sopranos). Sounds good to me. I really need HBO.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

  16. #16
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    does that mean book 2? I thought game of thrones was 10 episodes for the entire book.
    Yes, that means book 2.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  17. #17

    Default

    Anyone know of a good way tto watch online? torrents are now blocked on the network I am using.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Anyone know of a good way tto watch online? torrents are now blocked on the network I am using.
    If you have HBO, you can use their service http://www.hbogo.com/?camp=GoG585#home/

    Another trick is to search google for an episode and use scene numbering. For instance to search for the 3rd episode of the 1st season of a show, you'd search for "show name s01e03". You can normally find somewhere that will have it available via direct download links. Sometimes links will be in comments. Hopefully it will be a single file, but sometimes you'll have to grab multiple files.

    Otherwise you could pony up for a newsgroup account.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    If you have HBO, you can use their service http://www.hbogo.com/?camp=GoG585#home/

    Another trick is to search google for an episode and use scene numbering. For instance to search for the 3rd episode of the 1st season of a show, you'd search for "show name s01e03". You can normally find somewhere that will have it available via direct download links. Sometimes links will be in comments. Hopefully it will be a single file, but sometimes you'll have to grab multiple files.

    Otherwise you could pony up for a newsgroup account.
    newsgroup account? What/where?

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    newsgroup account? What/where?
    Newsgroups, aka Usenet, is the old school way to get things. It's the source of many things that you'll find on torrent sites. Access used to come standard with internet access, but these days you have to pay for an account. A good unlimited account will run $8-$12/mo, but there are other options too like buying XX GBs worth of download "credits" that don't expire monthly.

    The upside is you get to use cool programs like Sick Beard and SABnzbd to build an almost completely automated system with a little more anonymity than BT and no need to upload.

  21. #21
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Newsgroups, aka Usenet, is the old school way to get things. It's the source of many things that you'll find on torrent sites. Access used to come standard with internet access, but these days you have to pay for an account. A good unlimited account will run $8-$12/mo, but there are other options too like buying XX GBs worth of download "credits" that don't expire monthly.

    The upside is you get to use cool programs like Sick Beard and SABnzbd to build an almost completely automated system with a little more anonymity than BT and no need to upload.
    DD, what has been your experience using usenet? I've tried it as a BT replacement, but I feel like I can't find anything on that there. The search function seems completely inefficient. The place seems like a dinosaur (probably because it is). I remember trying to find episodes of a certain TV show that had recently concluded its final season within the last few months, but I couldn't find a single one! And this was a very very popular show. All the seasons were readily available on BT. I felt like I wasted my $9.99.

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    DD, what has been your experience using usenet? I've tried it as a BT replacement, but I feel like I can't find anything on that there. The search function seems completely inefficient. The place seems like a dinosaur (probably because it is). I remember trying to find episodes of a certain TV show that had recently concluded its final season within the last few months, but I couldn't find a single one! And this was a very very popular show. All the seasons were readily available on BT. I felt like I wasted my $9.99.
    Short version: I absolutely love it.

    Long version: The place is a dinosaur, but there are modern methods that make it on par with BT for user friendliness and better.

    The key feature is nzb files. They are the newsgroup equivalent of torrent files. To that end, a good nzb indexing site is important. They index the newsgroups almost like a torrent site.

    Here's a basic primer on newsgroups and nzb files: http://lifehacker.com/#!5601586/how-...e-simple-steps

    Now a step beyond that is setting up Sick Beard & SABnzbd+ (& CouchPotato for movies). All of those programs are web apps/sites that run on your computer and you access via a web browser. They'll run on Windows, Linux, OSX and some NAS devices. SABnzbd+ is what actually downloads files from the newsgroups. Sick Beard is like a PVR that searches the newsgroups for shows and then sends them to SABnzbd+ to download them.

    For instance, for Game of Thrones I set it up in Sick Beard about two months ago. I haven't lifted a finger since then and for the last three weeks I've gotten a local copy on my hd every Sunday night by around 9pm-10pm MST.

    That's not to say everything's perfect. It takes a bit of time and reading to set the programs up properly and Sick Beard is fairly new and has some bugs, but they are getting fewer and fewer (they even fixed one I found) with every version.

    The other thing to keep in mind is the newsgroups are only as good as your provider and nzb indexer. If your provider doesn't have good retention or binary completion then it doesn't matter if your indexer has the nzb for what you want. And if your indexer sucks, you won't have an nzb file for something that your provider has. There are indexers that cost money, but it's like $10 for 10 years worth for a good one. So far I've gotten away with a combination of the free ones that Sick Beard supports for 99% of my needs and a few manual searches for harder to find shows.

    As for availability, any currently airing show with any sort of audience you are likely to be able to get reliably. The more popular the show the more likely you can find past seasons. I've only had trouble finding HD versions of some older shows, foreign TV and obscure shows and I couldn't find some of them on public torrent sites either.

    For manual searches I use www.binsearch.info there are probably other sites that are as good or better, but I've found most everything that Sick Beard couldn't find there. For instance, Sick Beard couldn't find the Danish original of The Killing or an old BBC movie series called Prime Suspect. I found both of them via binsearch. Sick Beard had problems finding them because they weren't uploaded with any scene naming scheme and The Killing was easier found with it's Danish name, Forbrydelsen.

    If anyone's interested in going this route I can put together a post with links to setup guides for the various programs, a deeper look at how they work (practical, not technical), more specific pointers and try to answer people's questions (although I'm no expert).

  23. #23
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Short version: I absolutely love it.

    Long version: The place is a dinosaur, but there are modern methods that make it on par with BT for user friendliness and better.

    The key feature is nzb files. They are the newsgroup equivalent of torrent files. To that end, a good nzb indexing site is important. They index the newsgroups almost like a torrent site.

    Here's a basic primer on newsgroups and nzb files: http://lifehacker.com/#!5601586/how-...e-simple-steps

    Now a step beyond that is setting up Sick Beard & SABnzbd+ (& CouchPotato for movies). All of those programs are web apps/sites that run on your computer and you access via a web browser. They'll run on Windows, Linux, OSX and some NAS devices. SABnzbd+ is what actually downloads files from the newsgroups. Sick Beard is like a PVR that searches the newsgroups for shows and then sends them to SABnzbd+ to download them.

    For instance, for Game of Thrones I set it up in Sick Beard about two months ago. I haven't lifted a finger since then and for the last three weeks I've gotten a local copy on my hd every Sunday night by around 9pm-10pm MST.

    That's not to say everything's perfect. It takes a bit of time and reading to set the programs up properly and Sick Beard is fairly new and has some bugs, but they are getting fewer and fewer (they even fixed one I found) with every version.

    The other thing to keep in mind is the newsgroups are only as good as your provider and nzb indexer. If your provider doesn't have good retention or binary completion then it doesn't matter if your indexer has the nzb for what you want. And if your indexer sucks, you won't have an nzb file for something that your provider has. There are indexers that cost money, but it's like $10 for 10 years worth for a good one. So far I've gotten away with a combination of the free ones that Sick Beard supports for 99% of my needs and a few manual searches for harder to find shows.

    As for availability, any currently airing show with any sort of audience you are likely to be able to get reliably. The more popular the show the more likely you can find past seasons. I've only had trouble finding HD versions of some older shows, foreign TV and obscure shows and I couldn't find some of them on public torrent sites either.

    For manual searches I use www.binsearch.info there are probably other sites that are as good or better, but I've found most everything that Sick Beard couldn't find there. For instance, Sick Beard couldn't find the Danish original of The Killing or an old BBC movie series called Prime Suspect. I found both of them via binsearch. Sick Beard had problems finding them because they weren't uploaded with any scene naming scheme and The Killing was easier found with it's Danish name, Forbrydelsen.

    If anyone's interested in going this route I can put together a post with links to setup guides for the various programs, a deeper look at how they work (practical, not technical), more specific pointers and try to answer people's questions (although I'm no expert).
    Thanks for all the info. I'm interested in giving it another try.

    What provider do you use? I can't remember the name of the last one I chose, but it had pretty good retention and was cheap - $9.99 a month. I think they've since doubled retention. I want to say it was SuperNews, but I'm not sure.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I'm interested in giving it another try.

    What provider do you use? I can't remember the name of the last one I chose, but it had pretty good retention and was cheap - $9.99 a month. I think they've since doubled retention. I want to say it was SuperNews, but I'm not sure.
    I'll throw something together tonight and post it in a new thread. Currently I'm using SuperNews, but I'm considering switching to a cheaper provider.

  25. #25
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters oxcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Split time between SF and NYC
    Posts
    5,308

    Default

    I'm all in on this thing.

    There are at least 3 characters I'm totally buying (not least being the unusual dignified, charismatic and capable midget character). A lot less D & D than I was expecting after the first 10 minutes of the first episode.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

  26. #26
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters oxcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Split time between SF and NYC
    Posts
    5,308

    Default

    Here's my one, uneasy conclusion:

    HBO has done a measurably better job of this production than Peter Jackson did w/ LOTR.

    I'd like HBO to redo the LOTR.

    That's all.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

  27. #27
    Dolphins Rape Hipsters oxcoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Split time between SF and NYC
    Posts
    5,308

    Default

    Did.

    Not.

    See.

    That.

    Coming.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

    It can't all be wedding cake.

  28. #28
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    5,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oxcoug View Post
    Did.

    Not.

    See.

    That.

    Coming.
    Haven't read the books, huh?
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  29. #29

    Default

    Right to the end I didn't believe Ned Stark would "leave the show" so to speak. And I'm liking the dwarf better all the time. Stark's youngest daughter has a special role yet to play, I predict.
    The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

    Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

  30. #30
    Sexiest Poster in Town UteStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,420

    Default

    Thumbs up to this series. It was absolutely terrific this season. I didn't get into it until the 8th episode (thanks to comcast for On Demand) and it was marvelous. Terrific acting, great plot and dialogue. Some brutal and shocking things and this show does not pull punches. If you have OnDemand, check it out, its worth it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •