Plaster Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaster Walls

Is there anything worse? The new 110 year old apartment has all plaster walls and some scary-old wiring. What is the best way to support weight from plaster? Toggle bolts? Some of the stuff I'm putting up is pretty heavy (stainless steel pot rack, flat screen TV mount), and it's got me worried.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Good luck.

You've got the 'lathe' and plaster going on, and you're most likely hitting the lathe for most of your bolts, screws etc. It's not too structural either. Try and brace in to studs if you can find them.

Tricky indeed.
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

buy the 3m sticky things. They work well. I have plaster walls too and that was a big reason why we didn't put anything up for a while. We've since found these 3m sticky gadgets that do the trick, even supporting big paintings w/substantial frames. I think they're called wall mounts, but if that's not right just google "3m sticky things" and you should find it.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Wow...Pell...you've got guts.

Thing about lathe and plaster is this. You're only bonding strength for your pictures....is the strength of the bond of the paint to the plaster...whatever that is.

As an old drywall guy...I can tell you that not much 'sticks' to that old plaster, new drywall mud included. If it's expensive...I'd be very careful. Just my .02 cents worth.

If a home had that old lathe and plaster...I wouldn't touch it, unless I knew them and they were ready to have a major undertaking. The new and old mud is so different...they don't like each other. It's almost better to redo it with modern sheetrock etc. ....don't get me started.
        "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

don't punch it. That hurts.

Comment

If the house is old enough for lath and plaster isnt is also typical to have a picture rail around the top of the room? Isn't that what they were for?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              If the house is old enough for lath and plaster isnt is also typical to have a picture rail around the top of the room? Isn't that what they were for?
              if there was a better way for me to check than drilling holes all around the room i could tell you. i'm hesitant to drill around because i'm not interested in repairing holes and painting for quite a while.

Comment

Do stud finders not work with plaster?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Do stud finders not work with plaster?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                  the lath slats make it hard to use a stud finder. i guess i could measure 16" from a corner... but that assumes the studs have 16" spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    the lath slats make it hard to use a stud finder. i guess i could measure 16" from a corner... but that assumes the studs have 16" spacing.

good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                      Can you pull off the base board and see where the studs hit the bottom plate? My understanding is that stud placement was not always regular in the days of lath and plaster. As before, I have no epxerience.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
                        Wow...Pell...you've got guts.

Thing about lathe and plaster is this. You're only bonding strength for your pictures....is the strength of the bond of the paint to the plaster...whatever that is.

As an old drywall guy...I can tell you that not much 'sticks' to that old plaster, new drywall mud included. If it's expensive...I'd be very careful. Just my .02 cents worth.

If a home had that old lathe and plaster...I wouldn't touch it, unless I knew them and they were ready to have a major undertaking. The new and old mud is so different...they don't like each other. It's almost better to redo it with modern sheetrock etc. ....don't get me started.
                        We haven't had any problems thus far, and I'm not too worried if the paintings we have fall, they'll be ok. Though I'll admit that I misread the initial thread. I wouldn't dream of using the 3m stuff for a tv mount.

For hanging pictures and paintings the 3m vhb tape is really convenient.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                        X