No announcement yet.

Emergency Preparedness Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if anybody is looking for a good multi, moofi (run by the same people as woot) have a good deal on a sog 18 in 1:

http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/2ndedition
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
      if anybody is looking for a good multi, moofi (run by the same people as woot) have a good deal on a sog 18 in 1:

http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/2ndedition
      Nice find. I just got some Paladin crimps last week. If this weren't a networking multi-tool I might be interested. Though am tempted as this would be handy at work. I am just not a belt carrying pocket tool kind of guy. Especially when I have all my networking tools right with me.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

bring it on. this is very interesting.

we've got a year's supply of freeze dried mtn house crap from one of those brilliant door to door sales companies. it can be done significantly cheaper when they're pieced together individually, but it's nice to have it done for you.
        What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.

Comment

Lessons learned: Make sure that your generator is in working condition with a supply of gas (with a stabilizer mixed in) and extra filters, oil, and spark plugs. I drained mine completely free of fuel this winter, per manufacturers specs, and had to use it late this past winter. Filled it with fuel, turned it on, pulled the choke, and cranked it twice before it came to life. No problems. It has set in the garage since yesterday (about 3 months). We lost power for some time last night due to severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Generator will not start. I ran to the tractor supply store and got a new spark plug. I could smell the fuel it was getting so I figured it was not getting a spark. I gapped the spark plug per spec and installed the plug. Nothing. Checked the oil level to make sure it wasn't too low. Looked good. The best that I can figure is that the intake valve is stuck open or closed.

Once I get it started, I will be cranking that bad boy to life every couple of months. To have the generator and still not have power is frustrating.

*Disclaimer: It did crank over twice when I sprayed a little ether in the air intake.
          Last edited by FN Phat; 04-24-2011, 01:01 PM.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
            What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.
            I don't know how it compares but I know that Costco in the past has carried Shelf Reliance brand year's supply.

Whole wheat shouldn't intimidate you either. It's worth it to learn some recipes and uses and have some on hand with a grinder. I'd get a hand crank one in the event of no power. A nice electric one can be had for a couple hundred bucks or less. They even have grinding attachments for much less for your KitchenAid or Bosch mixer.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

if you have an tax id number you can use to order as a wholesaler, you can save a lot of money. any substantial supply (six mos) will probably meet minimum quantity requirements for a wholesale order.

i agree with surfah on the hand crank. in a pinch, having the ability to make your own starch meal would be great. a nice cast iron mill can be had for around $50. i know there are also some combo units that have an electric motor but can be detached and operated manually.

what kind of stove/heat source does everyone have? i have two msr whisperlites that i've used for backpacking in the past as well as a two burner camp chef, but something in between (more portable than a camp chef, more consistent and reliable heat than the msr) would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                This thread could bring out my crazy, I need to be careful.

I think I will leave it there, until I see how tin foil hat we get....
                Yep... I agree

Here is one for starters.

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/
                "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                  Gold and silver coins
                  In a situation that constitutes TEOTWAWKI, I think those are pretty valueless.

Up to that point, however, they'd be nearly priceless.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    Lessons learned: Make sure that your generator is in working condition with a supply of gas (with a stabilizer mixed in) and extra filters, oil, and spark plugs. I drained mine completely free of fuel this winter, per manufacturers specs, and had to use it late this past winter. Filled it with fuel, turned it on, pulled the choke, and cranked it twice before it came to life. No problems. It has set in the garage since yesterday (about 3 months). We lost power for some time last night due to severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Generator will not start. I ran to the tractor supply store and got a new spark plug. I could smell the fuel it was getting so I figured it was not getting a spark. I gapped the spark plug per spec and installed the plug. Nothing. Checked the oil level to make sure it wasn't too low. Looked good. The best that I can figure is that the intake valve is stuck open or closed.

Once I get it started, I will be cranking that bad boy to life every couple of months. To have the generator and still not have power is frustrating.

*Disclaimer: It did crank over twice when I sprayed a little ether in the air intake.
                    Good advice. I have a kit that I put on mine that allows the generator to run on gasoline, natural gas or propane. When Ike hit Houston, the Natural Gas was awesome since there was little gasoline available and it is so much less expensive to run.

Comment

*Disclaimer: I'm a huge cornbread guy

We actually canned a crapload of popcorn last year. It's dirt cheap and can be ground into meal quickly and easily (or popped). It's a supplement to our wheat food storage and will provide some (albeit small) diversity to our food storage if the SHTF.

I just realized, however, that I need a hand-powered grinder for all this crap.

Comment

My grandfather was in Germany after the war earning the points to go home. He was a 99th Infantry Battle Baby in the Battle of the Bulge. The cigarettes in his meal kits were highly valuable, and sugar was even more so. Those are highly valuable commodities in a shtf situation.

I wonder if a collapse of that magnitude is even a possibility in the USA? I tend to doubt it.

Comment

Gold and silver coins
                          Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          you can buy anything in this world with money.
                          Yes you can. It sure helps in a crisis, too.
                          Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                          In a situation that constitutes TEOTWAWKI, I think those are pretty valueless.

Up to that point, however, they'd be nearly priceless.
                          Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                          My grandfather was in Germany after the war earning the points to go home. He was a 99th Infantry Battle Baby in the Battle of the Bulge. The cigarettes in his meal kits were highly valuable, and sugar was even more so. Those are highly valuable commodities in a shtf situation.

I wonder if a collapse of that magnitude is even a possibility in the USA? I tend to doubt it.
                          Bullets.
                          Last edited by Devildog; 04-25-2011, 08:43 AM.
                          "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                          -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                          -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Lessons learned from Katrina:

1. Apocalyptic Fever breaks out after major disasters.
                            2. Jesus has his own calendar, and it's got a lot of time left on it.
                            3. Things that float are very useful.
                            4. A good solid flashlight with long battery life is important.
                            5. Cellphones are WORTHLESS in an emergency. Even texts have issues sometimes. A 2-way radio is priceless.
                            6. First aid kits need coldpacks.
                            7. 72-hour kits need to accesible.
                            8. Water is farking heavy.
                            9. A red wagon with all-terrain tires is a great idea, especially a plastic one that floats.
                            10. Firearms are a necessary evil (they are not evil, but needing them for protection instead of hunting is terrifying).
                            11. Matches need to be in a waterproof container.
                            12. CHAINSAW with fuel, spare parts, and a spare chain.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

if you have an tax id number you can use to order as a wholesaler, you can save a lot of money. any substantial supply (six mos) will probably meet minimum quantity requirements for a wholesale order.

i agree with surfah on the hand crank. in a pinch, having the ability to make your own starch meal would be great. a nice cast iron mill can be had for around $50. i know there are also some combo units that have an electric motor but can be detached and operated manually.

what kind of stove/heat source does everyone have? i have two msr whisperlites that i've used for backpacking in the past as well as a two burner camp chef, but something in between (more portable than a camp chef, more consistent and reliable heat than the msr) would be great.
                              I own a business and have a tax-ID number. Does any tax-ID number work?

This is a great idea and I'm interested.

Any suggestions as to where I should try to purchase this stuff at wholesale?

Comment

I own a business and have a tax-ID number. Does any tax-ID number work?

This is a great idea and I'm interested.

Any suggestions as to where I should try to purchase this stuff at wholesale?
                                i just emailed mountain house to see what one would need to do to get dealer pricing with regard to minimum quantities/dollar totals. it sounds like food storage sales have gone through the roof all over the internet... nitro-pak is giving a 160 day time frame for orders to ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X