Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 153

Thread: Emergency Preparedness Thread

  1. #31

    Default

    if anybody is looking for a good multi, moofi (run by the same people as woot) have a good deal on a sog 18 in 1:

    http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/2ndedition
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  2. #32
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    if anybody is looking for a good multi, moofi (run by the same people as woot) have a good deal on a sog 18 in 1:

    http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/2ndedition
    Nice find. I just got some Paladin crimps last week. If this weren't a networking multi-tool I might be interested. Though am tempted as this would be handy at work. I am just not a belt carrying pocket tool kind of guy. Especially when I have all my networking tools right with me.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  3. #33
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    bring it on. this is very interesting.

    we've got a year's supply of freeze dried mtn house crap from one of those brilliant door to door sales companies. it can be done significantly cheaper when they're pieced together individually, but it's nice to have it done for you.
    What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

    We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

    We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

    Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.

  4. #34
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Lessons learned: Make sure that your generator is in working condition with a supply of gas (with a stabilizer mixed in) and extra filters, oil, and spark plugs. I drained mine completely free of fuel this winter, per manufacturers specs, and had to use it late this past winter. Filled it with fuel, turned it on, pulled the choke, and cranked it twice before it came to life. No problems. It has set in the garage since yesterday (about 3 months). We lost power for some time last night due to severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Generator will not start. I ran to the tractor supply store and got a new spark plug. I could smell the fuel it was getting so I figured it was not getting a spark. I gapped the spark plug per spec and installed the plug. Nothing. Checked the oil level to make sure it wasn't too low. Looked good. The best that I can figure is that the intake valve is stuck open or closed.

    Once I get it started, I will be cranking that bad boy to life every couple of months. To have the generator and still not have power is frustrating.


    *Disclaimer: It did crank over twice when I sprayed a little ether in the air intake.
    Last edited by FN Phat; 04-24-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  5. #35
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

    We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

    We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

    Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.
    I don't know how it compares but I know that Costco in the past has carried Shelf Reliance brand year's supply.

    Whole wheat shouldn't intimidate you either. It's worth it to learn some recipes and uses and have some on hand with a grinder. I'd get a hand crank one in the event of no power. A nice electric one can be had for a couple hundred bucks or less. They even have grinding attachments for much less for your KitchenAid or Bosch mixer.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

    We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

    We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

    Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.
    if you have an tax id number you can use to order as a wholesaler, you can save a lot of money. any substantial supply (six mos) will probably meet minimum quantity requirements for a wholesale order.

    i agree with surfah on the hand crank. in a pinch, having the ability to make your own starch meal would be great. a nice cast iron mill can be had for around $50. i know there are also some combo units that have an electric motor but can be detached and operated manually.

    what kind of stove/heat source does everyone have? i have two msr whisperlites that i've used for backpacking in the past as well as a two burner camp chef, but something in between (more portable than a camp chef, more consistent and reliable heat than the msr) would be great.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  7. #37
    Motor Boatin' SOB Devildog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    This thread could bring out my crazy, I need to be careful.



    I think I will leave it there, until I see how tin foil hat we get....
    Yep... I agree

    Here is one for starters.

    http://www.kellykettleusa.com/
    "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
    -Thucydides

    "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
    -Miyamoto Musashi

    Si vis pacem, para bellum


  8. #38
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Gold and silver coins
    In a situation that constitutes TEOTWAWKI, I think those are pretty valueless.

    Up to that point, however, they'd be nearly priceless.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  9. #39
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Lessons learned: Make sure that your generator is in working condition with a supply of gas (with a stabilizer mixed in) and extra filters, oil, and spark plugs. I drained mine completely free of fuel this winter, per manufacturers specs, and had to use it late this past winter. Filled it with fuel, turned it on, pulled the choke, and cranked it twice before it came to life. No problems. It has set in the garage since yesterday (about 3 months). We lost power for some time last night due to severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Generator will not start. I ran to the tractor supply store and got a new spark plug. I could smell the fuel it was getting so I figured it was not getting a spark. I gapped the spark plug per spec and installed the plug. Nothing. Checked the oil level to make sure it wasn't too low. Looked good. The best that I can figure is that the intake valve is stuck open or closed.

    Once I get it started, I will be cranking that bad boy to life every couple of months. To have the generator and still not have power is frustrating.


    *Disclaimer: It did crank over twice when I sprayed a little ether in the air intake.
    Good advice. I have a kit that I put on mine that allows the generator to run on gasoline, natural gas or propane. When Ike hit Houston, the Natural Gas was awesome since there was little gasoline available and it is so much less expensive to run.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  10. #40
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

    We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

    We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

    Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.
    *Disclaimer: I'm a huge cornbread guy

    We actually canned a crapload of popcorn last year. It's dirt cheap and can be ground into meal quickly and easily (or popped). It's a supplement to our wheat food storage and will provide some (albeit small) diversity to our food storage if the SHTF.

    I just realized, however, that I need a hand-powered grinder for all this crap.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  11. #41
    אלוף NorthwestUteFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    My grandfather was in Germany after the war earning the points to go home. He was a 99th Infantry Battle Baby in the Battle of the Bulge. The cigarettes in his meal kits were highly valuable, and sugar was even more so. Those are highly valuable commodities in a shtf situation.

    I wonder if a collapse of that magnitude is even a possibility in the USA? I tend to doubt it.

  12. #42
    Motor Boatin' SOB Devildog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Gold and silver coins
    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    you can buy anything in this world with money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Yes you can. It sure helps in a crisis, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSox View Post
    In a situation that constitutes TEOTWAWKI, I think those are pretty valueless.

    Up to that point, however, they'd be nearly priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    My grandfather was in Germany after the war earning the points to go home. He was a 99th Infantry Battle Baby in the Battle of the Bulge. The cigarettes in his meal kits were highly valuable, and sugar was even more so. Those are highly valuable commodities in a shtf situation.

    I wonder if a collapse of that magnitude is even a possibility in the USA? I tend to doubt it.
    Bullets.
    Last edited by Devildog; 04-25-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
    -Thucydides

    "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
    -Miyamoto Musashi

    Si vis pacem, para bellum


  13. #43
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,997

    Default

    Lessons learned from Katrina:

    1. Apocalyptic Fever breaks out after major disasters.
    2. Jesus has his own calendar, and it's got a lot of time left on it.
    3. Things that float are very useful.
    4. A good solid flashlight with long battery life is important.
    5. Cellphones are WORTHLESS in an emergency. Even texts have issues sometimes. A 2-way radio is priceless.
    6. First aid kits need coldpacks.
    7. 72-hour kits need to accesible.
    8. Water is farking heavy.
    9. A red wagon with all-terrain tires is a great idea, especially a plastic one that floats.
    10. Firearms are a necessary evil (they are not evil, but needing them for protection instead of hunting is terrifying).
    11. Matches need to be in a waterproof container.
    12. CHAINSAW with fuel, spare parts, and a spare chain.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  14. #44
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    if you have an tax id number you can use to order as a wholesaler, you can save a lot of money. any substantial supply (six mos) will probably meet minimum quantity requirements for a wholesale order.

    i agree with surfah on the hand crank. in a pinch, having the ability to make your own starch meal would be great. a nice cast iron mill can be had for around $50. i know there are also some combo units that have an electric motor but can be detached and operated manually.

    what kind of stove/heat source does everyone have? i have two msr whisperlites that i've used for backpacking in the past as well as a two burner camp chef, but something in between (more portable than a camp chef, more consistent and reliable heat than the msr) would be great.
    I own a business and have a tax-ID number. Does any tax-ID number work?

    This is a great idea and I'm interested.

    Any suggestions as to where I should try to purchase this stuff at wholesale?

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I own a business and have a tax-ID number. Does any tax-ID number work?

    This is a great idea and I'm interested.

    Any suggestions as to where I should try to purchase this stuff at wholesale?
    i just emailed mountain house to see what one would need to do to get dealer pricing with regard to minimum quantities/dollar totals. it sounds like food storage sales have gone through the roof all over the internet... nitro-pak is giving a 160 day time frame for orders to ship.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  16. #46
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    i just emailed mountain house to see what one would need to do to get dealer pricing with regard to minimum quantities/dollar totals. it sounds like food storage sales have gone through the roof all over the internet... nitro-pak is giving a 160 day time frame for orders to ship.
    Let me know what you find out...

  17. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    Let me know what you find out...
    [camleish], I am sorry but we are not opening any new accounts at this time. We are not able to support any additional business at this time.

    Sorry,
    Melanie
    sounds like a dang good time to be in the food storage business.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  18. #48
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    check Wise Food. They have a good selection. Not sure on dealer pricing....

  19. #49
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Has anyone checked out Daily Bread?

    They are located in Kaysville, UT. I guess their warehouse is in SLC.

    Is this a reputable company?

  20. #50
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camleish View Post
    sounds like a dang good time to be in the food storage business.
    Dang.

  21. #51
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Wise foods looks like it'll be about 2500 LESS than Daily Bread for a year supply of 3 meals per day for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.

    Daily Bread is 9000+ for a year supply.

    Ouch.

  22. #52
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    Wise foods looks like it'll be about 2500 LESS than Daily Bread for a year supply of 3 meals per day for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.

    Daily Bread is 9000+ for a year supply.

    Ouch.
    Be sure to check what you're getting. Most year supply are two meals about 2400 calories/day. 3 meals seems like a good deal to me.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  23. #53
    1 Coach McGuirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Under your skin
    Posts
    12,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Be sure to check what you're getting. Most year supply are two meals about 2400 calories/day. 3 meals seems like a good deal to me.

    1 year 3 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $6,650.00
    1 year 2 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $4,495.00

    Daily bread website doesn't offer pricing, but is endorsed by Glen Beck!

  24. #54

    Default

    our supply is from daily bread, but was a gift and i would never pay that much for it.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  25. #55
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    1 year 3 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $6,650.00
    1 year 2 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $4,495.00

    Daily bread website doesn't offer pricing, but is endorsed by Glen Beck!
    I called Daily Bread. They claim to be located in Kaysville. Wise Food claims to be in Centerville.

    I'm suprised there seems to be that much of a disparity.

    I was quoted 9000+ for 2 adults and 3 kids for 3 meals/day for 12 months.

    I'm going to have to talk to Wise Food.

    The guy at Daily Bread says if we do a year, he'll throw in a bunch of free food, but not that much!

    Daily Bread seems to have a much larger variety of entrees than Wise Food.

    Hmm... That's almost 200/month difference. If not more.

  26. #56
    Senior Member Portland Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lands North
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    I just found a Wise Food discount coupon for 10%.

    I wonder if they'll let me apply the coupon and pick up the food at their warehouse if it's in Utah. Their HQ is in Centerville.

  27. #57
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    What do you recommend for a quality lighter?

    It seems that the Brunton Firestorm is a bad ass lighter and is sold out most places. It seems that you can find one here.. I am just not sure that I want to drop $40 on a lighter.

    Coach, what do you use?
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  28. #58
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    What do you recommend for a quality lighter?

    It seems that the Brunton Firestorm is a bad ass lighter and is sold out most places. It seems that you can find one here.. I am just not sure that I want to drop $40 on a lighter.

    Coach, what do you use?
    Don't you have a little Benzomatic torch? I was just looking at a catalog that some Zippos in it and was looking at their pen torches. That Brunton looks cool. But $40 is expensive. The $15 Zippos seems pricy to me.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  29. #59
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Don't you have a little Benzomatic torch? I was just looking at a catalog that some Zippos in it and was looking at their pen torches. That Brunton looks cool. But $40 is expensive. The $15 Zippos seems pricy to me.
    Yes I do but I am trying to piece together a bag, similar to what Coach has and what you are starting, and the torch is a bit chunky. You can find knock-off zippos for about $4.00/ea.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  30. #60
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Yes I do but I am trying to piece together a bag, similar to what Coach has and what you are starting, and the torch is a bit chunky. You can find knock-off zippos for about $4.00/ea.
    A cigar torch would probably work well. But it won't be waterproof like that one you linked.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •