Emergency Preparedness Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Preparedness Thread

So, for a number of reasons I have been on this survivalist/emergency preparedness kick. I am currently reading the SAS Survival Handbook (awesome and IMO belongs in every kit).

Anyway, I didn't really know where to put this so I thought I'd start this thread here. When me and Gidget were newlyweds we put together a small kit that would have sustained us for a week or maybe two. Between our meager income and small apartment we really had no room for much. With the disasters in Japan I am wanting to do a bit more.

First things first, is my bug out bag. I just acquired this pack and am going to start packing it for a quick grab in case SHTF.

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Awesome bag. It is very nice to have those. We put together 5 similar backpacks last year for my family and have them hanging in an accessible location, ready to go.

We also have ~7 month supply of dry foods. In the past when money got tight we would eat from storage and severely limit the trips to the grocery store, until things improved.

It is possible to take things too far. One lady in my ward has at least 3+ years worth of food storage. Not entirely sure what good that will do her.

Then again, if the dollar crashed and we had an out of control inflationary recession, she would be a wealthy woman based on the value of her food commodity...:no_proper_emoticon_for_this_sentiment :

Comment

Good idea for a thread. I really need to get this stuff in order. We have 72 hour kits, but im pretty sure food is expired. What does everyone have put together? I know I need to get our water supply up as well. Is there a good template anywhere?

What about generators?
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

This thread could bring out my crazy, I need to be careful.

That looks like a 5.11 bag Surfah, yeah? I have a pack that looks much like this, packed with the 72 hour kit.

I also have a smaller Maxpedition versa filled with ammo and hand gun,

I think I will leave it there, until I see how tin foil hat we get....

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post

bring it on. this is very interesting.

we've got a year's supply of freeze dried mtn house crap from one of those brilliant door to door sales companies. it can be done significantly cheaper when they're pieced together individually, but it's nice to have it done for you.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Let's just go ahead and rename this thread "Emergency Paranoia Thread".
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post

That looks like a 5.11 bag Surfah, yeah? I have a pack that looks much like this, packed with the 72 hour kit.

It is a 5.11 bag. The Rush 24 model. It's pretty sweet. It's surprisingly big and with lots of webbing, pockets, velcro, and their tier system it is even more expandable. It's perfect for a 72 hr kit IMO. I'd be curious to see the Rush 72 bag in person to compare though.

I plan on adding a few accessories to it so it's similar to yours like a Maxp FR1 bag for first aid or handgun.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Gold and silver coins

Comment

We have started a decent storage of dry food, but have yet to prepare 72 hour kits...

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                    Gold and silver coins
                    you can buy anything in this world with money.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

screw it, here is what is in my bag.

1. Docs. copies of birth certs, deeds, passports, bank account info etc. Never know what you are going to need and what might happen.

2. First aid - I am not super first aid dude or a doctor, so I keep the kit simple. I started with an Adventure Medical Kit and add prescripts, z pack, Cipro, and child med that need rotating. (Docs, weigh in here).

3. Lighting and warmth - Good flashight. Last thing you are going to want is a $2 kmart special when it is all you got. Looking for bang for your buck, check out Fenix. They make lights that test out well against SureFire, but cost less. Matches, lighters, firestarting.

4. TP - This gets left out a lot. I have 1 roll of tp and 2 packs of wipes.

5. Shelter - temporary or it isn't fitting in your GOOD bag. i have a lightwieght 5x10 tarp that I can use. Clothing appropriate to environment is needed for a proper bivouac.

6. Water - can't live without it. I have a 3-4 in the bag. The bag stays in my car so the water needs to be switched out every so often to keep in fresh. I also have packed water purification tablets and a water purification pump.

7. Food - Energy bars are really the best. High Calorie, Highly portible, Lasts long. supplement in dry foods, beef jerky, etc.

8. Tools - Knife, multi tool, duct tape, twine, paracord, etc. Think about what your inner most McGyver needs and bring that.

9. Protection - Firearm for me. could also help supplement food supply. For a 72 hour kit, 100 rounds should do.

10. Telecoms - Cell phone #1. While during emergencies the lines are usually overrun with calls, texts generally still work seamlessly. Don't forget an extra charge of some sort (spare battery, car charger, etc). Two way radios are next on the list. Make sure members of the family each have one and on the right channel.

11. Luxury and Misc - Gum, reading material, hard candies, etc. This is going to be up to each person,

cash - amount up to you.
                      Pen, Pencil, Paper, Journal.
                      toothbrush and toothpaste
                      36″ length of rubber tubing
                      Small sewing kit
                      Binoculars
                      Leather work gloves
                      spare batteries
                      Soap or hand sanitizer
                      Portable fishing pole
                      Stakes
                      Sunglasses
                      Insect repellent
                      Compass
                      GPS
                      100 feet para-cord

PLEASE ADD WHAT YOU HAVE,

I know half the crap I like to prepare for will never happen, but why take away the fun?

Comment

Coach, you and my wife would get along a little too well
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          you can buy anything in this world with money.
                          Yes you can. It sure helps in a crisis, too.

Comment

Dont forget the dog food. The pooch needs to eat, then it's insurance against eating the pooch.

Comment

Don't forget your SHTF vehicle. When an EMP hits all your electronics will be fried and I'll be cruising around in my jacked up 73 Suburban with 37" Mudders (assuming I actually get around to buying one and fixing it up).
                              "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Working...
                              X