Vacation Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Imagine if I made you teach Yeats or Borges to 18 y/o kids every day.
    That's precisely my point!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
      Reasons Grand Cayman is better than Costa Rica:

Caymanians speak English
      Potable water
      No volcanoes
      World class scuba
      Lots of offshore banks means Caymanians know how to keep their mouth shut
      Reasons to ignore San Juan Sun

Costa Ricans speak the language of Pura Vida
      Potable water
      Volcanoes are frickin' awesome
      World class scuba
      I prefer my banks on dry land
      They drive on the right side of the road
      You're not on an island
      No hurricanes
      No damned British subjects
      Spend dollars, no euros
      No filthy hairy Europeans screaming and playing soccer on your beaches
      Privacy in the out of doors
      Costa Rica's passport stamp is way cooler than the stupid British "Leave to Enter" stamp.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        That's precisely my point!
        I would hate your job, as you would mine. Costa Rica liberated me from a life of quiet desperation. I was going to become Office Space, without the two-chicks-at-the-same-time thing.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Seriously wuap, CR looks a like a wonderful vacation spot. I might have to put that on our list.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Oh, and a couple more great things about Costa Rica, you know someone who can guide you to non-touristy places with affordable privacy, and who is great friends with a taxi driver who can drive you right to the door of the places you want to go, who is trustworthy, and who has a 4x4 Mitsubishi Montero in case you want to go off-road.

I owe Costa Rica for saving me from a life of computer programming. I have to repay that debt. Belize is like shopping at JCPenney.
            I have only been to Costa Rica once for business and spent the entire trip holed up in the R&D bowels of a large plant. Ever since then I have wanted to take the wife on a vacation there. This is definately going on the list.
            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
            SU

Comment

In all seriousness, if you want to go to Costa Rica, just PM me, and I'll give you my cell # and we can plan a trip for you. My services are free.

Mac

Comment

I was hoping wuap would speak up...
                I've already been to Belize (sort of...on a cruise) and saw the Lamanai ruins (coincidentally named? I think not!)--I'd go back, but not before I see some other places. Costa Rica has been in the back of my mind for a long time, and I actually like the idea of fewer English speakers. While I want relaxing, I don't want a bunch of tourists around, and it'd be nice to get a little cultural flavor. It also seems relatively easy to get to (fly in to San Jose?).

I still want relaxing though. And my Spanish is ok, but far from fluent. Cultural flavor is nice, but I don't want to be holed up in some hut somewhere with GI issues. Is there a happy medium, wuap? Some place nice but not loaded up with tourists? Is May a good time to go? We're looking at May 2-10, so knocking off two days for travel on the ends, is that enough time?
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

In all seriousness, if you want to go to Costa Rica, just PM me, and I'll give you my cell # and we can plan a trip for you. My services are free.

Mac
                  PM sent.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Before thinking about going on a vacation, you need to make sure you have transportation that will take you to either the airport or your destination. Do you?
                    That right there is funny.

Am I invited again?
                    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

My wife and I are planning on getting to get out of town the first week in August for her birthday. I was literally (yes, literally) in the middle of booking our flight to Vegas, when she texted and said, "What about San Diego instead of LV". I think SD is a beautiful city, and it certainly will have far better weather in August, but it seems like there is more fun things to do in Vegas. I've seen Shamu before, and going to Lego land, sans kids, should put you on some kind of special Chris Hansen watchlist. Am I crazy for wanting to go to one of the ugliest, most socially reprehensible cities in the US, instead of enjoying one of the most scenic?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        My wife and I are planning on getting to get out of town the first week in August for her birthday. I was literally (yes, literally) in the middle of booking our flight to Vegas, when she texted and said, "What about San Diego instead of LV". I think SD is a beautiful city, and it certainly will have far better weather in August, but it seems like there is more fun things to do in Vegas. I've seen Shamu before, and going to Lego land, sans kids, should put you on some kind of special Chris Hansen watchlist. Am I crazy for wanting to go to one of the ugliest, most socially reprehensible cities in the US, instead of enjoying one of the most scenic?
                        Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yes.
                          Seconded. I love a lot of things about Vegas, but August is not one of them.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

What are the must dos in San Diego? Last time we went there - many years ago- we were on a shoestring budget. I recall walking around the Oil Lamp(?) district, hitting Sea World, and seeing some gigantic aircraft carriers from a distance.

I dislike much about Vegas, but I love how there is always something to do, every night of the week. My plan is to have my wife hang out at the spa during the day, while I get an early am round of golf if, spend the days relaxing around the pool, then have a nice dinner and watch a show or concert, at night.

Airfare is about the same to both, but nice hotel/spas are >50% less in Vegas.

Comment

What are the must dos in San Diego? Last time we went there - many years ago- we were on a shoestring budget. I recall walking around the Oil Lamp(?) district, hitting Sea World, and seeing some gigantic aircraft carriers from a distance.

I dislike much about Vegas, but I love how there is always something to do, every night of the week. My plan is to have my wife hang out at the spa during the day, while I get an early am round of golf if, spend the days relaxing around the pool, then have a nice dinner and watch a show or concert, at night.

Airfare is about the same to both, but nice hotel/spas are >50% less in Vegas.
                              Lots of great restaurants in the gas lamp district (and elsewhere). Lots of great beaches, shopping, cultural events (check the web before you go), etc. You could even venture up to LA for a day to break things up. Balboa Park is awesome if you haven't done it. The Old Town area is very cool. Great way to spend an afternoon and evening. One of the best zoos in the world if you haven't done that in a while. You can charter a boat and do a little deep sea fishing. You want to really blow her socks off, stay at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island.

Comment

What are the must dos in San Diego?
                                If you are going to be there between Aug 3-10, you can hang out with me, as that is when we will be there. We are staying up in Encinitas at a great little condo we found on vrbo.

Sounds great, right? The only downside to hanging out with me is that you will have to go to Legoland, Sea World and the zoo to find me.

Comment

Working...
                                X