The Lincoln Lawyer (film)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lincoln Lawyer (film)

I know there are some Michael Connelly fans on here. Have any of you seen the movie? I thought Matthew McConaughey's portrayal of Haller was pretty good, except of course for the fact that he plays a 2nd generation Angelino with a thick southern accent. Normally I hate McConaughey, but I thought he played it pretty well.

I don't get the casting of Brian Cranston as Detective Lankford. Is Lankford in other Connelly novels? Maybe they're setting him up for a bigger role in a sequel? I think Harry Bosch is in the next Haller book, isn't he? The one about the movie producer?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    I know there are some Michael Connelly fans on here. Have any of you seen the movie? I thought Matthew McConaughey's portrayal of Haller was pretty good, except of course for the fact that he plays a 2nd generation Angelino with a thick southern accent. Normally I hate McConaughey, but I thought he played it pretty well.

I don't get the casting of Brian Cranston as Detective Lankford. Is Lankford in other Connelly novels? Maybe they're setting him up for a bigger role in a sequel? I think Harry Bosch is in the next Haller book, isn't he? The one about the movie producer?
    I like McConaughey. He was great in Dazed and Confused and I liked him in that submarine movie and this movie called, I think, 12 Conversations About One Thing.

In two weeks this movie has made about $45 million, that's some pretty good coin so there could be some sequels.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I am a big Connelly fan. I look forward to seeing it.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I thought it was ok. MMmmmmm did a good job. I really liked William H. Macy as Frank. It had a wierd pace to it. I described it before as slow but I don't think that is the right word. You aren't going to regret seeing it in the theater, but you won't regret missing it and seeing it on dvd either.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          I thought it was ok. MMmmmmm did a good job. I really liked William H. Macy as Frank. It had a wierd pace to it. I described it before as slow but I don't think that is the right word. You aren't going to regret seeing it in the theater, but you won't regret missing it and seeing it on dvd either.
          Also some sort of strange camera work. It felt like there were a lot of zooms done in post production, and a lot of hand held camera work. I'm not sure it worked.

I thought the pacing was fine (at least I didn't notice it not being fine). I thought they could have
          Spoiler for spoiler for ending:
          played up the bit about Roulet coming after his family a little more. As I recall, he didn't know that they were safe and that he was sort of used as bait until he woke up from the coma or whatever).
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Also some sort of strange camera work. It felt like there were a lot of zooms done in post production, and a lot of hand held camera work. I'm not sure it worked.

I thought the pacing was fine (at least I didn't notice it not being fine). I thought they could have
            Spoiler for spoiler for ending:
            played up the bit about Roulet coming after his family a little more. As I recall, he didn't know that they were safe and that he was sort of used as bait until he woke up from the coma or whatever).

Good point

also,
            Spoiler for Plot change:
            I don't remember the motorcycle dudes beating up roulet in the book, but as soon as they introduced them on camera, I said to my wife, "I feel a hells angels beat down coming on." Am I right that that didn't happen? It's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
              Good point

also,
              Spoiler for Plot change:
              I don't remember the motorcycle dudes beating up roulet in the book, but as soon as they introduced them on camera, I said to my wife, "I feel a hells angels beat down coming on." Am I right that that didn't happen? It's been a while.
              I think you're right.
              Spoiler for plot change:
              I think in the book, he was in his car when he got the news from Maggie that Roulet was out and it was a race to see if he could get to Maggie's house in time (while Maggie and the kid went somewhere safe). IIRC, he gets back to the house in a hurry and the mom comes to the front door and he gets shot. I think maybe the cops pick up Roulet at Maggie's house? I know that Maggie was in on it from the beginning, it was a plot to see where he'd go as soon as he was out. She was never in any real danger.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The book is fabulous. One of the better mystery/thrillers that I have read in the past year or two. As Lebowski noted, Connelly is terrific. His books are always very good reads.

Comment

Liked it. Like all movies, they can't be as good, as detailed, as long as the book. They left out a lot of story lines. But I thought they did as good as can be expected in sticking to the plot.

Are there more than a few of Haller novels? I've only read this one, but have read about all the Harry Bosh books.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    Liked it. Like all movies, they can't be as good, as detailed, as long as the book. They left out a lot of story lines. But I thought they did as good as can be expected in sticking to the plot.

Are there more than a few of Haller novels? I've only read this one, but have read about all the Harry Bosh books.
                    There are at least 3 more, I think. The Brass Verdict has both Haller and Bosch. There's also The Reversal and a new one this year, might not be out yet, call the Fifth Witness.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He was supposed to be a 2nd generation angelino? Was that mentioned in the movie or just the book? I felt his southern accent was even more pronounced here than a lot of his movies. If he's playing an LA native here that's a pretty egregious oversight.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        He was supposed to be a 2nd generation angelino? Was that mentioned in the movie or just the book? I felt his southern accent was even more pronounced here than a lot of his movies. If he's playing an LA native here that's a pretty egregious oversight.
                        Definitely in the book, but I believe they make reference to his dad being a great L.A. defense attorney in the movie as well. The accent thing really bugged me. If you're an actor, you should be able to ditch regional accents in favor of a nice midwestern/standard accent.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                        X