Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is in the market I just ordered this combo:

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-...th-tool&ref=cj

Add coupon code freedom15 and sign up for their email list for a free shipping code (welcome - but can only be activated by clicking through the link they email you and yes both coupons stack). I was out the door $229 (no tax). Incredible deal. This impact driver and hammer drill combo has two batteries but they also throw in a 3rd. Also these are the 20v 2.0Ah lithium ion batteries and the drill and driver are both brushless. This is by far the cheapest I have seen and throw in the extra battery which is about $75 value (Amazon.com price) and this deal is bananas. I'd prefer a Makita or even Milwaukee set but at this price it's a no brainer. Besides, I have been using DeWalt for years with no issues. I am hopeful I can sell my DeWalt 18v NiCad tools for close to this. I have a DeWalt cordless finish nailer I am probably going to sell which should pay for this set itself. It comes in handy but I have a compressor and air finish nailer I can pull out of I need to.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog View Post
      Sure beats doing it by hand.
      That was funny. Can't believe it ended the thread for the time being.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

very nice! That is a bad boy. I don't think that the average joe has to worry about their drills being brushless but that is a nice feature. We have had our Milwaukee impacts and drills for almost 3 years now and they are used 4-6 days a week, every day. Out of the original 12 sets that we put out only 2 have been pulled from service (apparently they don't sustain a 75' drop to concrete very well or a drop in the river). Of the rest we have replaced brushes in 5 drills and/or impacts. Not bad at all for the service that we throw at them. Anyways, nice get Surfah!
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

That is an amazing deal. I think I paid $179 a couple years ago when I bought my Makita set, and they are only 10v (and no extra battery). That deal is ridiculous. Those will be the only drills you'll need until you're 50 (and by then, screws will probably self-drill).
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

my wife got me a Porter Cable 20V drill/cordless impact combo for fathers day. Has been good so far. Not sure how good Porter/Cable is these days, but so far so good.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post

Add coupon code freedom15 and sign up for their email list for a free shipping code (welcome - but can only be activated by clicking through the link they email you and yes both coupons stack). I was out the door $229 (no tax). Incredible deal. This impact driver and hammer drill combo has two batteries but they also throw in a 3rd. Also these are the 20v 2.0Ah lithium ion batteries and the drill and driver are both brushless. This is by far the cheapest I have seen and throw in the extra battery which is about $75 value (Amazon.com price) and this deal is bananas. I'd prefer a Makita or even Milwaukee set but at this price it's a no brainer. Besides, I have been using DeWalt for years with no issues. I am hopeful I can sell my DeWalt 18v NiCad tools for close to this. I have a DeWalt cordless finish nailer I am probably going to sell which should pay for this set itself. It comes in handy but I have a compressor and air finish nailer I can pull out of I need to.
              I have this set with an extra (third) battery and I absolutely love it.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

As a plus 50 yo guy, I've had my share of cordless, and when my last cordless went kaput, I decided to go corded. 110V of pure power, always there and always ready. No charging, no wondering about the "juice" I just plug and go. Does the cord get in the way? Not that I've ever noticed, and the power and performance sure outweigh the cordless freedom.
                Last edited by clackamascoug; 07-02-2013, 03:29 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                  As a plus 50 yo guy, I've had my share of cordless, and when my last cordless went kaput, I decided to go corded. 110V of pure power, always there and always ready. No charging, no wondering about the "juice" I just plug and go. Does the cord get in the way? Not that I've ever noticed, and the power and performance sure outweigh the cordless freedom.
                  I have never come remotely close to not having enough power with 20v model. And the Li batteries seem to last forever. With the third battery, you can always have one charged and ready to go on the rare occasion that you run out of juice. I can't believe anyone buys corded drills anymore.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Lol. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      my wife got me a Porter Cable 20V drill/cordless impact combo for fathers day. Has been good so far. Not sure how good Porter/Cable is these days, but so far so good.

Porter Cable was once a really strong brand but took a hit when Black and Decker bought them about 10 years ago. They shut down all of their American manufacturing and shifted everything to Mexico. This was deliberate because B&D didn't want them to compete with DeWalt. So with lower quality they're able to price their product at an entry level like Ryobi for example. Their stuff is comparable in quality to the Craftsman (also owned by B&D) cordless tools IMO and perfectly fine for most homeowners.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I have never come remotely close to not having enough power with 20v model. And the Li batteries seem to last forever. With the third battery, you can always have one charged and ready to go on the rare occasion that you run out of juice. I can't believe anyone buys corded drills anymore.

Third battery?? That's funny.
                        Last edited by clackamascoug; 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Third battery?? That's funny.
                          Yes. The third battery that sometimes comes free with the set as Surfah mentioned. One for each drill and one spare. I like to keep my third battery attached to a flashlight (see link below). Best flashlight I have ever owned. Super bright LED bulb and the charge lasts forever. I can go a week at Lake Powell on a single charge.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCL040-...2818520&sr=8-2

Comment

Only corded tool I have is my 1/2 impact.

My 20v battery charges in 40 minutes and I have 2. So never really without a full spare.
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

I have a set of these along with a jigsaw, circular saw, and a bunch of other tools. I use them all the time with no problems at all. I even my cordless drill/Hamer drill to mix thin set and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post

Yes. The third battery that sometimes comes free with the set as Surfah mentioned. One for each drill and one spare. I like to keep my third battery attached to a flashlight (see link below). Best flashlight I have ever owned. Super bright LED bulb and the charge lasts forever. I can go a week at Lake Powell on a single charge.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCL040-...2818520&sr=8-2
                                OK. I'm man enough to admit my ignorance with power tools. I own a "clackamascoug" style corded drill that I use on the rare occasions I need to drill something. So what projects will one need a cordless hammer drill and impact driver kit? I do understand the importance of a bright flashlight at night.

In my marriage, my wife and I buy our own presents for B-day and Christmas and this looks like a good deal. Just want to be sure its something that will get used.
                                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                                X