Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeWalt v. Milwaukee v. Makita

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    OK. I'm man enough to admit my ignorance with power tools. I own a "clackamascoug" style corded drill that I use on the rare occasions I need to drill something. So what projects will one need a cordless hammer drill and impact driver kit? I do understand the importance of a bright flashlight at night.

In my marriage, my wife and I buy our own presents for B-day and Christmas and this looks like a good deal. Just want to be sure its something that will get used.
    Seriously? Reminds me of a few years ago at a ward activity when my neighbor picked up a drill and said "So how do you use one of these things?". I honestly can't imagine a less masculine thing to say.

The impact driver is fantastic for driving and removing wood screws. I also have a little half-inch drive attachment that allows me to use it with my socket set. That way I can use it with nuts and bolts. Next best thing to a pneumatic driver that auto mechanics use. Better actually because you don't have to mess with the cord. With the impact action it can loosen even the most stubborn nuts and bolts without stripping.

I rebuilt a luggage trailer a couple of months ago with my boys. We completely dismantled it and got the frame sand-blasted and powder-coated and then put it back together with new wiring and lights. We used the drill and driver at every step of the way.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Seriously? Reminds me of a few years ago at a ward activity when my neighbor picked up a drill and said "So how do you use one of these things?". I honestly can't imagine a less masculine thing to say.

The impact driver is fantastic for driving and removing wood screws. I also have a little half-inch drive attachment that allows me to use it with my socket set. That way I can use it with nuts and bolts. Next best thing to a pneumatic driver that auto mechanics use. Better actually because you don't have to mess with the cord. With the impact action it can loosen even the most stubborn nuts and bolts without stripping.

I rebuilt a luggage trailer a couple of months ago with my boys. We completely dismantled it and got the frame sand-blasted and powder-coated and then put it back together with new wiring and lights. We used the drill and driver at every step of the way.
    Before my CS Man Card is confiscated, I want to make it clear that I know how to use a power drill. I'm just trying to better understand the advantages of a hammer drill and impact driver. If the CS home repair veterans swear by them, then that's a good reason for me to purchase. I took CS advice on a recent lawn mower purchase and am very pleased so I do value CS opinions. I appreciate the luggage trailer example but that would not be a project I would typically encounter. I think I do above average home repair/remodeling with my 20+ year-old house. I just haven't had occasion (that I can see) to use a hammer drill/impact driver kit. My electric power drill and manual socket set has worked fine on wood fence repairs and similar small projects. But I'm always open to tool upgrades and improvements. I installed crown moldings with traditional hammer and nails and would not to it again without a nail gun. So there is hope for me.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Before my CS Man Card is confiscated, I want to make it clear that I know how to use a power drill. I'm just trying to better understand the advantages of a hammer drill and impact driver. If the CS home repair veterans swear by them, then that's a good reason for me to purchase. I took CS advice on a recent lawn mower purchase and am very pleased so I do value CS opinions. I appreciate the luggage trailer example but that would not be a project I would typically encounter. I think I do above average home repair/remodeling with my 20+ year-old house. I just haven't had occasion (that I can see) to use a hammer drill/impact driver kit. My electric power drill and manual socket set has worked fine on wood fence repairs and similar small projects. But I'm always open to tool upgrades and improvements. I installed crown moldings with traditional hammer and nails and would not to it again without a nail gun. So there is hope for me.
    Don't let the "hammer" part scare you off. It can be used as a regular drill.

We wanted to put some molding in our master bath one year. It was a small job and we got a few bids. I ended up buying a very good quality chop saw, compressor, and nail gun for less than what it cost to hire it done.

I love power tools.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I need an impact driver. I am cheap, but I am also tired of stripping the hell out of everything. I am leaning toward DeWalt.

What color?

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    I need an impact driver. I am cheap, but I am also tired of stripping the hell out of everything. I am leaning toward DeWalt.

What color?
    The frame is gray and the wheels are white. I found a place out in Lindon that did both the sand-blasting and the powder-coating for ~$150. Can you believe it? It is better than new now.

The hammer drill like Lebowski said can be used as a regular drill but has a hammer setting for masonry drilling. Most homeowners would rarely use such a setting but it is helpful when necessary. The impact driver though is something I think every homeowner should have. I bet 90% of drill use by homeowners is for driving screws. An impact driver does it so much easier and more efficiently. It's what it is designed to do where a drill is meant to spin drill bits.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    The hammer drill like Lebowski said can be used as a regular drill but has a hammer setting for masonry drilling. Most homeowners would rarely use such a setting but it is helpful when necessary. The impact driver though is something I think every homeowner should have. I bet 90% of drill use by homeowners is for driving screws. An impact driver does it so much easier and more efficiently. It's what it is designed to do where a drill is meant to spin drill bits.
    Yep. And the impact driver is far less likely to strip your screws/bolts.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Yep. And the impact driver is far less likely to strip your screws/bolts.
    Thanks for the information. I do tend to strip screws and once wasted several drill bits drilling into brick. I think that's something that will go on my Santa's list. More accurately, something that I will purchase and stow away on behalf of Santa. Thanks again.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

I guess I'll dust off this thread. You guys weren't kidding about getting a 1/4 impact driver. It seems like a lot of people buy a drill mostly to fasten and loosen screws when what's really needed is an impact driver. It's a far superior and useful tool.

I initially considered buying a Harbor Freight PoS, they're marketing a couple more "upscale" lines. But quickly realized that DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi, etc offer an impact driver kit for not much more than than Harbor Freight's supposedly higher quality lines.

That said, the choice really only came down to the Makita or Milwaukee. DeWalt's top line is great, but it's more expensive than Makita and Milwaukee, and its entry level stuff isn't nearly as good as Makita and Milwaukee's comparably priced tools. You get the feeling that DeWalt's secondary line is rebadged Black and Decker. DeWalt has also started using different batteries for different lines of tools.

Home Depot and Amazon have a Makita impact driver kit with a 3 amp hour battery for $99, which is the one I bought. The Milwaukee kit is $129 with a 2 amp hour battery. The $30 price difference I don't care about, but I did care about the smaller battery.

On top of that, Makita's cordless hedge and string trimmers seem to be more reasonable than Milwaukee's, although I really wonder if an 18v tool is enough for those jobs.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

I bought an 18v Makita sawzall at a pawn shop for $50. It also included a 3 amp battery. The pawn shop guys told me that they had a guarantee on their tools and I could return it within 14 days if there was something wrong. Given the sterling reputation of pawn shops, I thought it was a low risk opportunity. The tool itself was only two years old, I'm not entirely sure about the battery. The tool works great and the battery charged up and seems to operate the tool just fine. It kicks the crap out of my PoS Porter Cable corded.

I decided to try to continue my winning streak and bought a corded Dewalt circular saw (non worm drive) for $70 -- it appeared to be in really good shape so I was surprised at the price. It's the one with the aluminum base and electric brake and weighs less than 9 lbs -- $140 at Lowe's and Home Depot. I tried it out on a scrap of some laminate I put on my floor a month back -- it didn't cut as smooth as the miter saw I used but there's presently a framing blade on it.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I recently ordered this baby for myself for father's day:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can't wait to try it out.

I recently ordered this baby for myself for father's day:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

can't wait to try it out.
    That can come in pretty handy, I'm going to try this DeWalt attachment and see if it works okay:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Righ...chment/4761527

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    That can come in pretty handy, I'm going to try this DeWalt attachment and see if it works okay:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Righ...chment/4761527
    The thing that intrigues me about the Milwaulkee tool is that it works as a regular ratchet. You can add torque manually on or off or just push the button to spin when you want.

The thing that intrigues me about the Milwaulkee tool is that it works as a regular ratchet. You can add torque manually on or off or just push the button to spin when you want.
    I wonder how it compares to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XLT01Z...gateway&sr=8-1

Looks like the Makita goes to 3000 RPM vs. the Milwaukee going to 250, not really the same tool. The Milwaukee probably is a lot more precise and fits in tighter spots.

Maybe I can find a reason to get a couple 12V tools and go with Milwaukee at that voltage.

This is a beaut

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...02PT/301122947

You can find this for cheaper on Amazon or EBAY.

I got a deal on a package with the 18v string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer arrived and it's okay. I might just turn around and keep the 18v string trimmer boxed and sell it on EBay and then get the 36v version.

The 36v blower is ridiculous.

This is a beaut

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...02PT/301122947

You can find this for cheaper on Amazon or EBAY.

I got a deal on a package with the 18v string trimmer, and hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer arrived and it's okay. I might just turn around and keep the 18v string trimmer boxed and sell it on EBay and then get the 36v version.

The 36v blower is ridiculous.
    Less is more (beaut).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Joe-...597E/302974122

You're welcome.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst