Follow the Prophet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    For anyone who still hasn't figured out for him/herself what it means to 'follow the prophet,' you may now turn your brain onto autopilot, because the answer can be found in THIS Huffpo article titled, 'For Mormons, what does "Follow the prophet" really mean?'

CUF -- discussing today what America will discuss tomorrow.
    Molly (Mormon) Bennion with her second appearance in a PFS article in a week. Careful Molly, that 15 minutes can go pretty quickly.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      Mr Kimball should speak for himself.

And isn't this really just a reprint of the Trib article that is the subject of this thread?
      Oops! Yes it is a reprint. I haven't really been following this thread very closely.

Comment

So I'm teaching a lesson titled "Follow the Prophet" to the priests on Sunday. I haven't yet read through the lesson (I'll get there tomorrow or Friday) but in advance I was wondering if CUFfers have any favorite scriptures that discuss following the prophet. If so, please share...
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Brother Jake: Prophets are Awesome...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Brother Jake: Prophets are Awesome...
            This was kind of fun in small doses. But he is too heavy-handed and snarky anymore. Getting a little embarrassing at this point.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              This was kind of fun in small doses. But he is too heavy-handed and snarky anymore. Getting a little embarrassing at this point.
              When he first started he was still in the church, but he left a while ago. Or so he says.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I agree that they were fun when they were more ambiguous.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                  When he first started he was still in the church, but he left a while ago. Or so he says.
                  What do you mean by this?
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    What do you mean by this?
                    I mean that's what he said on a podcast a while back. I have no way of confirming. Nothing more than that.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

This seems to be the arc of any comedy based on social commentary in the internet age.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        So I'm teaching a lesson titled "Follow the Prophet" to the priests on Sunday. I haven't yet read through the lesson (I'll get there tomorrow or Friday) but in advance I was wondering if CUFfers have any favorite scriptures that discuss following the prophet. If so, please share...
                        Approaching 3 years and still nobody has any favorite scriptures on this topic?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Wrong again Mr. Prophet!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...y-keep-us-lean
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            this is the best news I have heard all day!
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              If we are going there, then we might have to credit recent research that shows that studies linking health benefit to drinking alcohol in moderation were faulty and there is no such benefit after all.

But I've been saying for years (as has anybody who believes a little bit in low carb diets) that eating fat doesn't make you fat. So I hope this idea becomes more pervasive.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                I feel for those guys. Let's say you are Oaks. You preach that you have to figure out how to make God's laws work in your life. Then you find out that someone reads that to mean that they can be inspired to be an exception to some general rule. Not good (I am looking at you, laffertys). So you then give the talk that says if you don’t follow God's law you are begin deceived. And then good people, like those on this site, dislike you for it.

So where is the truth? Which rule to apply? I think it is not so simple. I think we all have core doctrines and core experiences that we see as providing the basis for the gospel experience we believe in and in which we find spiritual sustenance. The set of doctrines or instructions that fit into any one person's core group can vary dramatically. So we all look for guidance and we all listen and we accept what works for us, what we perceive through our own earnest and prayerful supplications is good for us and we simply ignore the rest. We all do this to some degree. And for me, I think this is how God wants it. He wants us to figure it out, to do what we think we need to do. To do what is best for us and that is consistent with his will.

At the base there are some very basic ordinances that are necessary. Beyond that, it is between you and God. At the same time, obedience is important, and so is working for the Lord's kingdom here on earth, and so most of us do what we can to meet those goals because they make us feel good; because it brings us to God's will and it is God's will that we act accordingly.

This brings us back to Oaks and the brethren. Are they perfect? Of course not. Anyone can see they make errors all the time. Anyone can peruse conference talks from years past and find mistakes or inconsistencies or statements that simply are not valuable any longer. But we all know this. These are humans. They are seeking to express or restate the ineffably sacred while limited by their profane natures and languages. This has always been so. We must be obedient; we must think for ourselves. We must follow the prophet; we must do what we know to be true. God tells Adam not to partake of the fruit but Adam knows he must in order to fulfill the measure of his creation. So I think that we are told to do as we are told, but also to reason it out for ourselves. Both of these are true. And both of them can lead us to the correct path and keep us there. But we have to balance, and we have to learn, and we have to do what we most earnestly and honestly think is God's will for us.

I know the prophet is not perfect. I know he does and will get some things wrong. And I know he will not lead me astray. For me, this is not an intellectual matter. It is a spiritual matter that I grasp spiritually. But this is true, in general, for my relationship to God. It can only be expressed as a spiritual matter, as a spiritual quest. Like the prophet, I am not perfect. I get it wrong all the time, far more often and far more egregiously than the prophet does. But like most of you, I am only trying to do the best I can. I am convinced that is what God wants.

Too long. Sorry.
                                Bump.

I'm teaching a lesson tomorrow, and this is related to our discussion. Thanks, Creek.

Comment

Working...
                                X