No announcement yet.

My Monthly Guitar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a repair shop along the Wasatch Front that they would recommend? I ordered a guitar from Musicians' Friend that has some severe intonation issues (order a guitar sight unseen which I had never played before? Why not? What could possibly go wrong?). I'm hoping that that's not a big deal to fix, and not too costly, but I've never taken a guitar in to have work done before.

I miss the days when I had a couple full-time roadies, but you all know how tough it is to turn a profit in the music industry these days.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
      Does anyone have a repair shop along the Wasatch Front that they would recommend? I ordered a guitar from Musicians' Friend that has some severe intonation issues (order a guitar sight unseen which I had never played before? Why not? What could possibly go wrong?). I'm hoping that that's not a big deal to fix, and not too costly, but I've never taken a guitar in to have work done before.

I miss the days when I had a couple full-time roadies, but you all know how tough it is to turn a profit in the music industry these days.
      Gary Rosier 801-562-1915 Excellent tech that works out of his home in Taylorsville. Make sure to have him look for other issues. I've had new guitars need a fret level to go along with setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Gary Rosier 801-562-1915 Excellent tech that works out of his home in Taylorsville. Make sure to have him look for other issues. I've had new guitars need a fret level to go along with setup.
        Thanks, Shaka. Does he charge luthier-to-the-stars prices? Or three-chord hack prices? I'm definitely in the latter category.
        Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
        --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
          Thanks, Shaka. Does he charge luthier-to-the-stars prices? Or three-chord hack prices? I'm definitely in the latter category.
          I think a setup is thirty or forty bucks. A fret level is around one hundred. The guy is really good and it's worth every penny.

Comment

How about a good luthier in the Bay Area? I had a guy I was using but he got tired of the cost of living here and moved to Indiana. Go figure. So I need to find a new one. Any ideas?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yeah now I'm mad I didn't take my guitar in to your guy when I was in SLC.

I'm sure there are plenty here, but who wants to take their guitar to a guy sight unseen?
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I practice every day, and have for the last several years. I've noticed, though, that on the rare occasion when I miss a couple of days, I'm better when I start up again. It's like the pause in my practice regimen allows my brain to "assimilate" what I'm learning.

Does something like this happen to you?
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  I practice every day, and have for the last several years. I've noticed, though, that on the rare occasion when I miss a couple of days, I'm better when I start up again. It's like the pause in my practice regimen allows my brain to "assimilate" what I'm learning.

It used to when I practiced. That was back when I was actually a good player. A couple of days off once in a while is not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

When you get to be my age, nothing gets better after not doing it for a few days. In fact, you are always afraid to stop doing anything because of the risk that something will happen making it impossible to ever do it again. At all.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      When you get to be my age, nothing gets better after not doing it for a few days. In fact, you are always afraid to stop doing anything because of the risk that something will happen making it impossible to ever do it again. At all.
                      You sound like '71!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        How many times have you used that on Mrs. creekster?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• So I can't get a volume boost for my solos out of my chain. My chain is:

Tuner-wah-tube screamer-talk box--chorus/delay--Fender Mustang III amp.

I've messed with the output and the gain on the tube screamer and get almost nothing.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            So I can't get a volume boost for my solos out of my chain. My chain is:

I've messed with the output and the gain on the tube screamer and get almost nothing.

The only way we've found to deal with the problem is hang a mic over the amp and run it through the board. That's about all the help I can offer - sorry.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                              So I can't get a volume boost for my solos out of my chain. My chain is:

Most likely it's your amp. The hit the front of the amp harder trick works best with tube amps.

Now if you're saturating your amp quite a bit then there really isn't anyplace for it to go regarding a volume bump. If you are mostly using high gain tones then dial it back and rely more on your pedals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Most likely it's your amp. The hit the front of the amp harder trick works best with tube amps.

Now if you're saturating your amp quite a bit then there really isn't anyplace for it to go regarding a volume bump. If you are mostly using high gain tones then dial it back and rely more on your pedals.
                                OK, that makes sense. Is it the amps electronics keeping the volume at level?

Maybe an EQ pedal would help me? I could set it to let more mids through?
                                Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X