No announcement yet.

My Monthly Guitar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New at that price point buy a Taylor. If used then check out any Martin that's available.

One of you guys should buy my Gold Top.

Comment

shaka what goldtop do you have...? i've wanted one for a while.

re the martin/taylor debate, i got a barely used 312ce for $1k. for $1200 you should definitely get something better than the models with laminated sides
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        shaka what goldtop do you have...? i've wanted one for a while.

re the martin/taylor debate, i got a barely used 312ce for $1k. for $1200 you should definitely get something better than the models with laminated sides
        I have an amazing Traditional. I played a great many before I settled on this one. I just had it set up by my tech in preparation for sale. It plays like butter, isn't chambered, and is in great shape.

Comment

probably more than i'm looking to spend, but it sounds bitchin.

Comment

probably more than i'm looking to spend, but it sounds bitchin.
            I'm sure you can afford it but I get the point. I was talking to my tech about how much it was worth and he pointed out that there is pretty good demand for these because they don't have the new Gibson, "innovations" like asymmetrical neck carve and electronics populated on a circuit board. Essentially it's just like a Standard the last time they were good..

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to go back and forth between a rhythm volume and a lead volume during live sets. My bandmates all do different things (one has a volume pedal, one uses a foot switch between three channels, and another has two distortion pedals and has them at different volume levels).

My rig is getting complicated and I want to keep things simple without ruining my tone.

Any suggestions?
              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                I'm trying to figure out how to go back and forth between a rhythm volume and a lead volume during live sets. My bandmates all do different things (one has a volume pedal, one uses a foot switch between three channels, and another has two distortion pedals and has them at different volume levels).

My rig is getting complicated and I want to keep things simple without ruining my tone.

Any suggestions?
                Are you looking for change in volume only or are you looking for change in tone AND volume? In my last couple of bands I used 2 distortion/overdrive pedals that did the trick. I used a modded pro-co Rat for most solos. It suited my needs the best but looking back my daisy chain of pedals was a total PIA. When I am looking for a boost but not too much change in tone, I use this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...-effects-pedal

It does color your tone a little bit but if you are using a boost for solos then it shouldn't be a problem.
                Last edited by USUC; 05-04-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                  Are you looking for change in volume only or are you looking for change in tone AND volume? In my last couple of bands I used 2 distortion/overdrive pedals that did the trick. I used a modded pro-co Rat for most solos. It suited my needs the best but looking back my daisy chain of pedals was a total PIA. When I am looking for a boost but not too much change in tone, I use this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...-effects-pedal

It does color your tone a little bit but if you are using a boost for solos then it shouldn't be a problem.
                  I'm just looking for an increase in volume for solos and lead playing. I like the tone I get, for the most part.

Would something like this work? I could boost the mids.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GE7

Comment

I'm just looking for an increase in volume for solos and lead playing. I like the tone I get, for the most part.

why can't yo just switch between channels with a foot switch?

Comment

why can't yo just switch between channels with a foot switch?
                      My foot switch is set to clean/dirty. Maybe I could get a 4-button switch? I've heard it's easy to screw those up live.

It's amazing how all the "simple" modifications can add up for a live show. Before you know it your tangled in your own cord.

Comment

I've seen people use an EQ as a boost (A kid I knew in another band had everything set at mid range), but I have never used it in that way. I would pair an EQ with my Pro-Co Rat to give it some bottom end. I never learned how to use the EQ outside of this function.

My foot switch is set to clean/dirty. Maybe I could get a 4-button switch? I've heard it's easy to screw those up live.

It's amazing how all the "simple" modifications can add up for a live show. Before you know it your tangled in your own cord.
                        I was so anal about my tone. It needed to sound just perfect. I often had 3 overdrive/distortion pedals with one distortion pedal separated from the rest for solos by using an a/b switch. Then it went into my 3 delay pedals before going into my twin reverb. I listen to recordings now and I sounded terrible. Probably could have gotten away with a distortion, boost, and a delay. Setting up for a gig was ridiculous.

Comment

EQ can be used as a boost but it's not the way most people do it. Most either get a boost pedal like a Fulltone Fat-Boost or a Tube Screamer. I use both of those to boost although I usually dial in a little dirt with the Tube Screamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            EQ can be used as a boost but it's not the way most people do it. Most either get a boost pedal like a Fulltone Fat-Boost or a Tube Screamer. I use both of those to boost although I usually dial in a little dirt with the Tube Screamer.
                            Maybe I could just use my Bad Monkey tube screamer. I could set my desired volume for a boost and add a little dirt.

Comment

Maybe I could just use my Bad Monkey tube screamer. I could set my desired volume for a boost and add a little dirt.
                              Bad Monkey is a Tube Screamer so it would work out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Bad Monkey is a Tube Screamer so it would work out great.
                                Perfect. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X