My Monthly Guitar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    Cool! One of the better made Chinese guitars.

Did you play a San Dimas?
    I haven't, but will before I hand over my $. Somehow I had written off Charvels as overpriced and stuck in the 80s--Like B.C. Rich--but I was wrong.

I was surprised that I liked the composite neck too. Chords are easy down low and there is room for bends up top. Thanks for steering me to Charvel.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

I went to a shop in Phoenix that carried Martin, Taylor, and Gibson, convinced I was going to come out with a Martin. I picked up a Gibson J 45 at first, then played with just about every other Martin and Taylor there, but I kept coming back to the Gibson. A deep, rich sound that seemed to fit my voice and played like a dream. Martins all felt muffled to me, and Taylors felt more tinny compared to the J 45, so I walked out with the Gibson. I love this thing.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

AWESOME!

Like I said they are all the rage with the singer/songwriter/folky set.

You are now hip.

Comment

i've been thinking about a decent acoustic for my wife for christmas. i like (and think she'd like) the taylor grand symphony cutaways, but i don't want to spend enough to get one of the all solid models. i don't love the dreadnought, but this guy looks like a decent deal. thoughts from the guitar folk?
          Last edited by old_gregg; 10-24-2014, 05:43 PM.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            i've been thinking about a decent acoustic for my wife for christmas. i like (and think she'd like) the taylor grand symphony cutaways, but i don't want to spend enough to get one of the all solid models. i don't leave the dreadnought, but this guy looks like a decent deal. thoughts from the guitar folk?
            My humble opinion is that you can NOT go wrong w a Martin. I myself own a D-15, so that D18 is a step up. It's plenty good- especially if it's her first "decent" guitar.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

That's a good guitar. I'm not a big fan of lower end Martins due to the plastic fretboards.

Comment

apparently that martin sold pretty quick to someone other than me. but, i dropped by guitar center to pick up some headphones and checked out some guitars. they had a used taylor 312ce in brand new condition (plastic still on the pickguard) for $899, including hard case. i loved the way it played, and that's a great price for a step above laminated, so i picked it up for her. i think she'll like the smaller body.

Comment

For the last year and a half I've been practicing consistently and systematically: an hour a day with time devoted to chords, scales, picking, finger picking, and right hand-left hand coordination. I work on specific songs on Saturdays to keep things fun.

I'm becoming much better as a player, and I have found that I don't like one of my guitars (My Hammer) anymore. Have you ever grown out of a guitar? Or found that it didn't match your style?
                  Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM.
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    For the last year and a half I've been practicing consistently and systematically: an hour a day with time devoted to chords, scales, picking, finger picking, and right hand-left hand coordination. I work on specific songs on Saturdays to keep things fun.

I much better as a player, and I have found that I don't like one of my guitars (My Hammer) anymore. Have you ever grown out of a guitar? Or found that it didn't match your style?
                    I disagree with you on about every subject in politics and most on religion, but I'd love to have you play lead in my band. I don't play well enough to outgrow a guitar. It's the easiest instrument to play poorly, and one of the hardest to play well, so I respect people like you, creek (I'm guessing,) and others here who play it well.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I'm becoming much better as a player, and I have found that I don't like one of my guitars (My Hammer) anymore. Have you ever grown out of a guitar? Or found that it didn't match your style?
                      Well, you practice about 90% more than me. I was doing some studio stuff the other day and my chops are in the toilet.

I'm not sure what kind of Hamer you have but usually they aren't outgrowable, at least the USA Hamers aren't. I think what you are experiencing is just a need to change things up. In the past this has happened to me several times and driven many purchases. It's good for a strat guy to pickup up a Tele or Les Paul for a period of time. It's good to maybe try out a Gretsch or a Rickenbacker and see how they will change your playing. If you want a really good American made instrument try out any of the PRS S2's. to me they are the best bang for the buck on the planet.

Comment

Well, you practice about 90% more than me. I was doing some studio stuff the other day and my chops are in the toilet.

I'm not sure what kind of Hamer you have but usually they aren't outgrowable, at least the USA Hamers aren't. I think what you are experiencing is just a need to change things up. In the past this has happened to me several times and driven many purchases. It's good for a strat guy to pickup up a Tele or Les Paul for a period of time. It's good to maybe try out a Gretsch or a Rickenbacker and see how they will change your playing. If you want a really good American made instrument try out any of the PRS S2's. to me they are the best bang for the buck on the planet.
                        I was going to say that I don't think I've grown out of my first guitar. I have, however, picked up other guitars and slayed on em because they were a much better fit, sounded better, or were easier to play, but I wouldn't say I have ever outgrown a guitar. Like you said, guitars vary in features and perhaps challenge you in different ways, though. Jack White, an amazing player, notoriously plays a piece of crap on stage (or at least he did w the Stripes) just to keep him on his toes.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          I was going to say that I don't think I've grown out of my first guitar. I have, however, picked up other guitars and slayed on em because they were a much better fit, sounded better, or were easier to play, but I wouldn't say I have ever outgrown a guitar. Like you said, guitars vary in features and perhaps challenge you in different ways, though. Jack White, an amazing player, notoriously plays a piece of crap on stage (or at least he did w the Stripes) just to keep him on his toes.
                          Jack is a lot like Stevie Ray Vaughan. Both want to their instruments to put up a fight.

Comment

He has a Hammer, not a Hamer. Apparently he bought his guitar from Ali baba express.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

that's why you only buy one type of guitar. when I get sick of my MIM sunburst I play the highway 1. if I'm really wanting to live on the edge i pick up the muddy waters tele.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                that's why you only buy one type of guitar.
                                Bite your tongue!

Comment

Working...
                                X