My Monthly Guitar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have that Martin- but I can't remember the exact model I have

I'll let you know tomorrow when I get home from vacation and then if applicable let you know about it...
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
      I meant it when I said I wanted advice, so I'll keep bumping this thread until I get it. The Gibson Hummingbird Pro has great reviews and a better look:

Did you not think I was serious?
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I am embarrassed to say I can't recall the model but I own a rosewood backed solid topped Martin dreadnought. It has a pick up under the bridge and the mic type. I use it for gigging and like it. But if I could do it again I might go for a Taylor. Every time I play one I like it a lot. Still, the Martin is a sweet guitar.

I use an old Alvarez with a florentine cut out and a passive under bridge pick up for outdoor gigs in bad weather. It's an old mid level guitar but sounds pretty good IMO.

I would have to play a guitar before buying it. But I sure do like those Taylors.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          I am embarrassed to say I can't recall the model but I own a rosewood backed solid topped Martin dreadnought. It has a pick up under the bridge and the mic type. I use it for gigging and like it. But if I could do it again I might go for a Taylor. Every time I play one I like it a lot. Still, the Martin is a sweet guitar.

I use an old Alvarez with a florentine cut out and a passive under bridge pick up for outdoor gigs in bad weather. It's an old mid level guitar but sounds pretty good IMO.

I would have to play a guitar before buying it. But I sure do like those Taylors.
          I tend to prefer the look of Martins, but the sound and feel of Taylors.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Did you not think I was serious?
            The Hummingbird has become very popular with the singer/songwriter crowd. Its definitely a step up from the Martin you listed. (Apologies to Commando)They sound and play great. Throw an LR Baggs Anthem in there and you will be off and running.

Check out Larrivee. They are incredible in every way. They are right there with Martin, Taylor, and Gibson. I I really regret selling my last Larrivee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              I tend to prefer the look of Martins, but the sound and feel of Taylors.
              What do you mean by feel? You're a pretty big guy and I'm not. One thing I like about my Yamaha is the slender neck. Would a Taylor have a thicker neck?

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              The Hummingbird has become very popular with the singer/songwriter crowd. Its definitely a step up from the Martin you listed. (Apologies to Commando)They sound and play great. Throw an LR Baggs Anthem in there and you will be off and running.

Check out Larrivee. They are incredible in every way. They are right there with Martin, Taylor, and Gibson. I I really regret selling my last Larrivee.
              Thanks. Do you have a specific model you suggest?
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

What do you mean by feel? You're a pretty big guy and I'm not. One thing I like about my Yamaha is the slender neck. Would a Taylor have a thicker neck?

It's the neck diameter, weight, balance, woods, finish, and so on. Occasionally when I pick up a guitar it just "feels right." It's almost mystical.

I'm not familiar with the various Yamaha models but I'm not a fan of the big "U" boat-style necks that are common on some acoustics. I like a neck that lets me use my long fingers to best advantage.
                Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-02-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

I don't although in your situation I think a dreadnought or an auditorium sized guitar would serve you best. If you check out Larrivee avoid the parlor size simply because I think they aren't right for your style of music. One of the coolest things about Larrivee and Taylor is that their high-end and midrange guitars are made exactly the same way in spite of the the differences in wood and bling. My L-03 didn't have all the fancy mother of pearl and other bling but it was an incredibly good guitar. I actually prefer non-blingy guitars.

I recommend you play a bunch. Acoustic Music in SLC is a favorite although they had a bunch of high end guitars stolen during the holidays and may not have a great selection at the moment. There are a couple of other cool acoustic guitar shops in SLC that you should check out. Also the Guitar Czar has a nice selection of Taylor and Gibson guitars. Guitar Center does have a decent acoustic room with some cool guitars.

Other guitars you should put on your list are the American made Breedlove's and Collings.

I agree with what others have said about playing several guitars and picking the one that speaks to you. Acoustic guitars all have a personality and it sounds a little weird but if you put in the time you will find the one that matches you. If you look in SLC I'd be happy to go shopping.

Comment

I'm looking to pick up a guitar with a Floyd Rose Bridge that can do some shredding. I'm interested in the ESP LTD MH-350 FR. Have any of you had experience with one? How about with the LTD line?

Here's the guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Comment

I'm looking to pick up a guitar with a Floyd Rose Bridge that can do some shredding. I'm interested in the ESP LTD MH-350 FR. Have any of you had experience with one? How about with the LTD line?

Here's the guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
                      They are very good. also check out the Charvel San Dimas line which I believe are made in the USA. They aren't that much more, especially used.

Comment

They are very good. also check out the Charvel San Dimas line which I believe are made in the USA. They aren't that much more, especially used.
                        Thanks for the tip. I don't know anything about the San Dimas line, but will check it out.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I don't know anything about the San Dimas line, but will check it out.
                          They are very good. Charvel was THE name in 80's Floyd Rose guitars.

Comment

They are very good. Charvel was THE name in 80's Floyd Rose guitars.

I remember that Charvel disappeared in the 90s. As I look at their catalog, they seem to have plenty to offer in mid-price metal guitars. If they are as good as they were in the 80s, I'll have to give some a workout.

Comment

I played this model at the shop today, and it played like a dream. I think I've found my shred ax.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DX1FRSW/

Comment

Cool! One of the better made Chinese guitars.

Did you play a San Dimas?

Comment

Working...
                                X