Country music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by landpoke View Post

Willie Nelson - Georgia on my Mind (I know Ray Charles' version is the standard, but I asked my wife to marry me to this version)

I prefer this version as well. My dad is a big Willie Nelson fan so this is the version I have heard the most.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
    -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      Every single country song ever produced is completely awful. It is one the genre of music that I have never heard a song that I actually enjoy.
      I am not a big country music fan but I find it hard to believe that there is not a single song in the whole freakin' genre that you can appreciate.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Ray Price - Heartache by the Number

David Allen Coe - You Never Even Called Me By My Name

George Strait - Amarillo by Morning (might be my all time favorite song)

Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down

Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

I could go on, but I won't.
        Listen to the Poke. The whole list was outstanding, and these were my favorites. Also, I'll add
        Willie: My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, and Red Headed Stranger

Hank: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Chris: Song of Wyoming

Alan: Remember When

Yada, Yada, Yada.

BTW, I'm with you on Amarillo By Morning.

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        Is that country?
        If that ain't country, you can kiss my ass. (He's actually kind of a nice looking donkey.)
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Chris Ledoux - Western Skies
          Two of my favorites.

Of course the ultimate country song is

Family Tradition - Hank Williams Jr

Now here is my current favorite by the Brad Paisley

[YOUTUBE]cuZBpkjZAbY[/YOUTUBE]
          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
            In 1985, when I was in High School, I went to a Violent Femmes concert at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. The opening act was Dwight Yoakam, who was then young and very little known. That was a weird experience. Despite the Folk influences of the Femmes, there is not a lot of overlap between Femmes fans and country fans.
            [YOUTUBE]Lwj5_SNWYc8[/YOUTUBE]
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
              I am not a big country music fan but I find it hard to believe that there is not a single song in the whole freakin' genre that you can appreciate.
              Haven't heard one yet.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Almost forgot another great:

NGDB: Mr. Bojangles
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

stretching the definition of country but still a version of country,

BPB New Partner, video is stupid, song is exquisitely grand,

[youtube]v/yGSi7_jNp3A&hl=en&fs=1" [/youtube]

Son Volt - Catching On
                  [youtube]v/vhsryMt3TP0&hl=en&fs=1" [/youtube]

Lyle Lovett - His best song in my opinion, North Dakota

[youtube]v/xvTvnltNmfc&hl=en&fs=1" [/youtube]

Comment

I really like country.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

There's a lot of different country artists and styles that I enjoy.

The older stuff like Chris LeDoux (my all-time favorite), Johnny Cash and George Strait is still old school and I enjoy his stuff.

A lot of the newer groups I'm not a fan, but some of the artists I enjoy in particular:

Keith Urban
                      Brad Paisley....dude picks a mean guitar
                      Montgomery Gentry

I like a lot of the ones I listened to growing up like: Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Jon Michael Montogmery and a handful of others.

A RockAbilly/Bluesy style group that I really like, but have no idea what happened too is called Big House....they have a lot of really good stuff.

Comment

One that no one has mentioned yet

Patsy Cline - Crazy

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Gidget View Post
                          I am a big country fan. I mostly enjoy more melodic blue grass stuff like Alison Krauss and Union Station. Union Station is amazing. As is Krauss. Nickel Creek is also a fave. There have been some very great mentions in this thread so far.
                          Alison Krauss and Nickel Creek are my favorites. I also like a little Rascal Flatts on occasion. And Shania Twain is an extremely guilty pleasure.
                          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                            Alison Krauss and Nickel Creek are my favorites.
                            Yes, good stuff. But wouldn't both be more properly classified as bluegrass?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              Every single country song ever produced is completely awful. It is one the genre of music that I have never heard a song that I actually enjoy.
                              Every morning my 4 year old wakes up at about 6:15 and he and I lie on the couch and watch an episode of the Simpsons. Yesterday it was the episode where Bart fakes his own kidnapping to not get in trouble for sneaking out to go to a rap concert. At the start of the episode Lisa is making fun of Bart for wanting to go to the "hip-hop festival". Bart says to her "You like Jazz, what is the difference?" To which Lisa replies "Jazz is UNpopular." It made me think of you.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Yes, good stuff. But wouldn't both be more properly classified as bluegrass?
                                I think they're similar enough types of music to be grouped together. You're right, they're more bluegrass, but it's close enough.
                                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Working...
                                X